Biological sex and gender identity: differences and overlaps - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #201
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,357
Local Time: 09:54 PM
People like INDY are a big reason why suicide attempt rates among young trans people (perhaps the figure isn't all that different in older trans people) are at 45-50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
This is the same guy who said the United States was "post-racial" when Obama was elected, and genuinely thought that Nazis and Socialists were the same thing.
Good to see he hasn't learned anything since.
__________________

Vlad n U 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #202
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Transgender athlete sues CrossFit for banning her from female contest - CNN.com



So who's right? Does Chloie Jonsson's right to sexual expression in California trump a private company's right to set standards for competition and eligibility for all competitors?
Once again with the sports. So many thanks to anitram in the last post for recognizing that in the scope of human existence, sports are rather small. But I think the way this argument always sticks on sports quietly outlines what's really at stake in these arguments: the high value placed on masculine-coded values like competition, toughness, raw physical power, the domination of ranking winners and losers, and hierarchy within and between genders that it creates. Sport is the church in which we worship these values, and gender trangression is a fundamental blasphemy of them.
__________________

jeevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #203
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,060
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Because only a lack of education can explain one who champions a different set of values, a different set of ideas and a different measure of progress than yours, correct?



You do absolutely demonstrate a lack of knowledge on this subject.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #204
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,074
Local Time: 05:24 AM
INDY, I get the impression that you are tying to imply that excessive compassion towards transgendered people is likely to create incentives for people to falsely believe that they are transgendered, leading to a whole host of problems for society. In other words, that it will lead to false positives, to misdiagnoses of transgenderedness. Is that correct?

While I disagree with such sentiment, incidentally, I can't help but think of one of my best friends, who (by his own admission) is not transgendered, but went through a phase of about three months feeling very strongly that he was. He, however, has an overwhelming tendency to jump from phase to phase.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #205
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,060
Local Time: 06:24 AM
And for every one child that jumps from phase to phase because of a more accepting society, dozens and dozens more won't kill themselves because someone was kind and told them they had a place in society as well.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #206
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,074
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
And for every one child that jumps from phase to phase because of a more accepting society, dozens and dozens more won't kill themselves because someone was kind and told them they had a place in society as well.
Yes, absolutely.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I did? I think you are confused (or drunk) martha. But what's new about that?

For the record, I said the United States was "post-facial" when Bill Clinton was reelected and genuinely thought Obama was a Nazi zombie created in a lab from the body parts of dead, transgender socialists.
Ha! You DON'T have me on ignore.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #208
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I did? I think you are confused (or drunk) martha. But what's new about that?
Dammit. You're right. You equated fascism and socialism.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums...ml#post6324720


 
And I posted my original post before I had a Pacifico with my carne asada tacos and guacamole.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #209
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,110
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Transgender athlete sues CrossFit for banning her from female contest - CNN.com

So who's right? Does Chloie Jonsson's right to sexual expression in California trump a private company's right to set standards for competition and eligibility for all competitors?
Now, this, I find to be a whole different situation from the softball one. If she is post-op and taking hormones, wouldn't that no longer effect her as being, biologically, stronger than any other woman? I honestly don't know, the science behind that isn't something I've studied much, outside of basic bio classes in college.
__________________
bono_212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #210
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 01:24 PM
According to the article, she's had surgery and is on post op female hormone treatment. So yes, physically she probably won't have the male advantage anymore since those are mainly powered by testosterone. Big part of the hormone treatment is testosterone blockers and the regular female hormons. Asides from this, she's legally recognized as a woman. So yes, in this case this woman's rights should win. You can argue all you want but technically she's a woman now so she should be allowed to enter female sports competitions.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #211
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,360
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
But I think the way this argument always sticks on sports quietly outlines what's really at stake in these arguments: the high value placed on masculine-coded values like competition, toughness, raw physical power, the domination of ranking winners and losers, and hierarchy within and between genders that it creates. Sport is the church in which we worship these values, and gender trangression is a fundamental blasphemy of them.
I see truth in this, but what consequences does this attitude have for your perspective on women's sports in general? Is there value in women working in the framework of masculine aggression if, as I infer from your post, the value system of athletics is damaging in some sense to larger society?
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 06:24 AM
I don't have a problem with sports per se or with gender separation in sports. But I think that our society has accepted competition and the resultant rankings as inherently good things, as values of their own, and that I don't agree with. Competition can provide some good some times, but it's not inherently good. It's just one way of human relating. Partnership and collaboration are models of relationship that don't receive the same structural support and praise even though we quietly depend on them much, much more. I think our preoccupation with competition reveals how much our society is organized around what Rhiane Eisler calls the model of domination, as opposed to that one she calls a partnership model.

And really, that's what the biggest thing about cultural conservatism is, the deep conviction that someone needs to be in charge; there has to be an order of importance and we all have to know what it is, or else chaos will ensue. I know that we've relied on that model of social organization for thousands of years, but I think it's pretty unimaginative and stultifying to human beings. I think we can do better.
jeevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #213
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,360
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Interesting, but it doesn't really answer my question. If women are partaking in a social institution built on masculine aggression (and that I grant you, as sports developed essentially as war games), does that serve to tear down gender distinctions or reinforce them?
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #214
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 06:24 AM
I think it can do both. It's important to realize that since gender is a social construct, activities and qualities are coded masculine and feminine rather than being inherently one or the other. So competitiveness is no more inherently related to males than empathy is to females--and studies show than men and women are in fact equally empathetic.

Sports, like most things, can cut both ways. We in the west often associate strength, sweat, competition, toughness, stamina and vigorous physical exertion with masculinity. Allowing women to these qualities definitely expands our understanding of gender and weakens the binary. On the other hand, when we say that the only way to be successful at anything is to do it in the masculine way, we reinforce the binary. For example many coaches have found that girls thrive under different coaching techniques than boys do, likely because of the way boys and girls are socialized differently. So if even within a given sport if we praise and prioritize 'masculine' ways of doing and achieving (even when these masculine forms are expressed by women) then we reinforce the binary.

For example, think of the way we think of women's hockey vs regular men's "real" hockey. Should women be allowed to get out the skates and whoop it up? Most of us would say sure. But is women's hockey "real" hockey if it doesn't include checking? Is it inherently boring and inferior if it's not as intentional about hurting people? Is it the soft lady kind, or does it emphasize a different skill set? Would women players prefer to check if they could, and what would that mean to them? How do male players feel about the violence encoded in the sport? If little boys have to be trained to be aggressive on the ice (and they do) and if adult men have to suppress their own fear of violence on the ice (and they do) then is how the aggression of the sport more appropriate to men than women? You can see the fluidity here. Gender expression, coding and policing shift all the time. That's why within academics gender expression is commonly referred to as a "performance": because we have a script but we're always revising and improvising.
jeevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Dammit. You're right. You equated fascism and socialism.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums...ml#post6324720


 
And I posted my original post before I had a Pacifico with my carne asada tacos and guacamole.
I didn't, Mussolini did. But feel free to start a thread on the totalitarian nature of the Left.

INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #216
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,621
Local Time: 05:24 AM
You know, at a certain point this starts to look like trolling, Indy.
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
People like INDY are a big reason why suicide attempt rates among young trans people (perhaps the figure isn't all that different in older trans people) are at 45-50%.
Russia has second worst suicide rate in the world | SOCIETY | The Moscow News

Quote:
Russia has second worst suicide rate in the world

The Serbsky State Research Center for Social and Forensic Psychology announced that Russia reached second place in the world in suicide rates, behind only Lithuania.
Psychologists are worried about death rate that emerged in the last 20 years and say that only decisive measures by the state can help limit the number of suicides.
Almost a million in 20 years
The data suggest that “in the years between 1990 and 2010 about 800,000 Russians killed themselves, which is close to a million – a whole city,” head of epidemiology and social problems of psychological health Boris Polozhy was quoted as saying by Interfax.
And people like Vlad are the reason for the suicides in Mother Russia?

Of course not. Not only does my philosophy recognize inherent biological sex as true human nature but also the dichotomous flesh/spiritual nature of man. The latter which gives us, ALL OF US, freewill.

Vlad of course must reject that.
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
You know, at a certain point this starts to look like trolling, Indy.
Who dragged Nazis into this? Who is blaming others for suicides? Or for lacking empathy and compassion for that matter Dieman?

It would be nice if we could argue ideas without questioning the motives and character of each other.
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #219
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,060
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

Of course not. Not only does my philosophy recognize inherent biological sex as true human nature but also the dichotomous flesh/spiritual nature of man. The latter which gives us, ALL OF US, freewill.


what are you even talking about? what kind of nonsense pseudointellectual know-nothing crap is this?
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I didn't, Mussolini did. But feel free to start a thread on the totalitarian nature of the Left.

This chart from therightplanet.com seems totally unbiased and legitimate! /eyes roll out of my skull
__________________

PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×