Bill Maher-Victim Of Religious Discrimination?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was not commenting on the bible passage; rather, on what i believe indy's interpretation of it to be based on his last few posts. it looked to me like he was basically saying that you should not hold those with wealth accountable because those without wealth are not acting like the woman in that parable.

Your logic eludes me. I was only agreeing with Liesje. And I'll add that I'm on the same page as Maycocksean, Blurmgrl and most others.

Only God knows what is in our hearts.

Well, it's more than that to me. But I don't think a person has to share my views on the nature of the Bible to be able to discuss it intelligently or suggest what it might mean. For example, one might argue that Shakespeare didn't really write the works attributed to him, but that doesn't preclude you from discussing the works.

Oh, absolutely, and I certainly didn't mean to diminish the importance of the Bible. I just meant that it's a collection of stories just like in many other books, and instead of people attacking each other over the stories, I don't see why they can't just be discussed as rationally as you would discuss any other book. Or something like that.

I fully agree on the rest of your post, too. I have absolutely no problem with intelligent, reasonable discussion of religious text/beliefs or lack thereof. I think more people should do that, it would save everyone an awful lot of grief and confusion, and it's always fascinating to hear about and try to understand why people believe what they do (at least, it is to me). This really doesn't have to be a topic that leads to anger, it's amazing how it can become such a hot button fight among people.

What I got from Indy's post was that he was using the verse to illustrate that two pennies to someone who only has two pennies is perhaps more than just charity compared to, say, five million to someone who has 100 million. Anyway, I didn't really intend for my comments to go the route of saying who is really more charitable or not, I was just being honest about my attitude towards someone like Tebow. I'm not saying it's fair or he's deserving of my pessimism, just being honest. :shrug:

Why is it viewed as more moral to give away money to strangers, rather than spend it on friends and family or indeed one's own gratification?

Questions, questions...

I'm not sure that I would argue that it IS more moral. . .

Most of what I spend is on friends and family and my own gratification (or more honestly on bills, but you know what I mean).

Giving to to support a cause you believe in or to help those in a much worse situation than I am doesn't seem incompatible with that.

In reference to the story we've been discussing, we know nothing of the widow's reasons for giving, and that--again--isn't really the thrust of the story.

Why is it viewed as more moral to give away money to strangers, rather than spend it on friends and family or indeed one's own gratification?

Questions, questions...

When did it become moral for the government to take someone else's money in taxes to give away to strangers rather than allowing those that earned it, to keep it, to spend on friends and family or their own gratification?

Tim Tebow can be the second coming of jesus himself for all I care. He's still a terrible quarterback.

Seriously though... he's incredibly awful. He makes Mark Sanchez look like Joe Montana. He may be the worst starting quarterback in the history of football. Nobody should be talking about his religion... only how bad he is, which is really fucking bad.

I also peed next to him once.

Tim Tebow Dominates Social Media Following Playoff Victory; Bill Maher Remains Silent - The Hollywood Reporter

Holy crap look at his arms in that picture :ohmy: I saw him on the combine and his body is sick. Nice work God :wink:

In spite of his lack of skills he sure got it done yesterday. With a lot of help from his teammates and a hobbled QB. It's just exciting to watch.

Hopefully Tebow's ride ends Saturday but I'm nervous. At this point even when he's allegedly outmatched it's tough to say that he has no chance. I think he actually thrives on being counted out.

The whole thing is just stupid. It's stupid for people to assume that a God would help someone win a football game (or anything). And it was stupid of Maher to say that God would cause someone to lose a game as well.

all it's done is create a stupid shit storm for stupid people on both sides to argue.

Tebow threw for 316 yards, that's evidence of John 3:16
The refs names match the four gospels!!!!

The Bronco's won because the Steelers gambled that Tebow could not make the simple throws. For the 2nd Quarter, and one throw in OT, they were wrong.

It wasn't divine intervention, or even divine favortism, it was a poor defensive gameplan....especially considering three of your most solid players were out of the game.

I don't think I can recall a team getting as much fortune of LUCK as the Bronco's have this year. Yes they have made plays (Tebow included), but the onside kicks, facing teams that are offensively challenged, and teams that are decimated by injuries have all come into play.

None of the above is out of the ordinary to call it a miracle or divine :) It's just pure random luck, and congrats on the Bronco's for taking advantage of their situation.

Not sure how the next game is going to play out. Patriots have not played well the past few post seasons, but they did rip the Broncos apart a few weeks ago.

All I know is that I will need to avoid any sports radio, tv for the next week to avoid the hysteria.

The whole thing is just stupid. It's stupid for people to assume that a God would help someone win a football game (or anything). And it was stupid of Maher to say that God would cause someone to lose a game as well.

....I don't think anyone actually thinks either of these things, man

Really? It's not just all said with a tongue planted firmly in the cheek?

people do, indeed. not sane people, but people do. people also think rick santorum could make a good president. probably the same people who think tebus is winning because he believes in jeezaaas.

and the thing about the refs names matching the 4 gospels is a load of bull crap.

the officials? Ron, Rich, Julian, Gary, Scott, Ronald and Richard.

it really is nothing against tebow, but the hysteria around him is nauseating. he competed 10 passes the entire game. what, jesus was busy during the first, third and fourth quarters, when he was horrendous?

mike singletary used to coach the 49ers. he wore his religion on his sleeve just as much as tebow. he'd wear a giant cross around his neck on game days. he was fired last year, 'cause his team didn't win. the next year, the 49ers are 13-3 and have the #2 seed in the NFC. i suppose jesus likes tebow more than singletary.

Really? It's not just all said with a tongue planted firmly in the cheek?

Having grown up in a conservative evangelical type community...yes. People do commonly attribute every little thing to Jesus/God or lack thereof. It's often disturbing and infuriating to live in this community....

The gospel and ref thing had to been a joke on the radio then. For the few seconds I listened before plugging my iphone in, that's what they were talking about.

People are talking about the 316 yards though and putting it next to John....again sure most of it is tongue in cheek....but people will grasp for anything to justify their faith in Tebow/Jesus :)

tim tebow is a class act. his jesus fans are wankers

I like that post. He's been great for sports talk radio (and every sports tv channel) to latch onto, and maybe the climate of the country right now is seeking something that ultimately doesn't even have anything to do with religion. It's like the GOP flavor of the month but it's just lasted longer.

Not living in that part of the country that focuses more on the religious aspect, all I get is guys on sports talk radio who have to drag in that he's a virgin and all kinds of unrelated jokes. And of course that he sucks as a QB. It drives some of them nuts that he's still in it as of yesterday, then again everything drives those guys nuts.

thanks, i was worried.

tim tebow loves him some jesus. but HE doesn't wham it down my throat. he deserves so much more respect than he gets, because god is his life...but he won't go nuts making it mine.

I just appreciate that you called him a class act, and that you can see what you said in your second post there ^. Some people think he is whamming it down their throats just by saying what he says. I think to be a follower/fan of him just because of Jesus, if that's what you mean by Jesus fans, is foolish. Just like making any connection between God, faith and all of that and the outcome of a football game.

"Oh, it's still a good sign by any standard."

5a2rzd.jpg

I enjoyed the heck out of that game. As any football fan not from Pittsburgh would have. But I have to admit, when I heard that 316 yard stat after the game... I got a really big grin on my face.

I'm sure he's a lovely gent (despite wanting to tell me what I can and can't do with my uterus), but I'm more miffed that we're talking about this quarterback instead of Aaron Rodgers, who, you know, actually plays amazingly well for an entire game, not just a quarter.

Not living in that part of the country that focuses more on the religious aspect, all I get is guys on sports talk radio who have to drag in that he's a virgin and all kinds of unrelated jokes.

I love that people still think that's something to make fun of :rolleyes:. I don't care about anyone's sex lives, I really fail to understand why other people do care.

I've had a few people buy Tim's book where I work, but I don't know if he has quite the following here he might elsewhere. The only football teams anyone I know follows are the Packers (mostly that team) or Vikings (or Dolphins fan, in the case of my mom).

"Oh, it's still a good sign by any standard."

I enjoyed the heck out of that game. As any football fan not from Pittsburgh would have. But I have to admit, when I heard that 316 yard stat after the game... I got a really big grin on my face.

Because you love Stone Cold Steve Austin or because it's a completely arbitrary number? Couldn't we take any number and assign it a bible passage?

OMG He had Luke 2:36 a few weeks back! What do you suppose that meant?

Don't forget one of the clouds formed a halo over Mile High during the game.....the facts just keep coming!!!

I'm more miffed that we're talking about this quarterback instead of Aaron Rodgers, who, you know, actually plays amazingly well for an entire game, not just a quarter.

I hear tons of talk about him and I don't live anywhere near Green Bay. That's the way everything goes with the media and some people. Short attention spans and onto the newest hottest thing. So the Tebow madness will die down eventually and we'll see if he actually proves himself, and improves himself. John Elway didn't even believe in him.

Back
Top Bottom