Australian federal election: 7 September

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a shameful cabinet. The rest of the world should be pointing at us and laughing. No Aged Care or Workplace Relations is a joke. Science has been belittled as a minor component within Industry.

I really wish the Immigration Minister was titled Minster for Stopping the Boats. That is what we voted for right?? Boat stopping.

How the fuck does it take more than a fortnight to count votes?

The House gets priority, so that's why the Senate is slow, if that's what you're getting at.

If it's Indi or Fairfax, it's because there's a fuckload of votes and the counting process is quite rigorous to avoid errors.

I hope every woman in Australia has no aspiration beyond about year ten, because that's Tone's Straya.

The first two or so weeks of living in Tonetown and it all hasn't really sank in for me yet. I mean, I guess in the back of my mind I kept thinking "hey, I'm not in Syria".

But then I look at the new cabinet and I start to genuinely worry about my own future, and the future of a lot of people I care about. I'm worried about this whole damn country.

KTony 2014, anyone?

Yeah, I was shitting enough bricks about my career before the Calamity of Seventh September, y'know?

Not that this is about me, but it's safe to say a lot of people working in tertiary education have spent the last eleven days soiling themselves repeatedly. Especially those of us who have the misfortune to be in the humanities and are wondering how bad the History Wars v2.0 could be.

Though, reeling ourselves back to earth for a minute... what are the specifics of what he and his cabinet can get up to without

a. going to parliament

b. securing majority support in both houses of said parliament?

The answer, I'm sure, is not 'nothing', as we've seen already. But how much?

A fair point, though a hard one to answer with the Senate count still ongoing. Looks like Tassie and WA in particular could go down to the wire, and the third Liberal spot in NSW is still not entirely secure. Some of these minor party types are complete unknowns, and it's safe to say the Liberal Democrat nutjob possesses the most extreme economic views of anybody ever elected to the Australian parliament. Can the Coalition get a workable majority in the Senate by doing deals with minor party individuals, especially those inexperienced in negotiations? That's what I fear.

Yes, and it's a valid fear.

The 'Liberal Democratic' candidate is as extreme as it gets really, more alarming than the various recreational parties in some respects. Probably a default Coalition vote (though maybe not on everything; I doubt the Coalition are Randian and individualist enough for them).

Still, hard to gauge until the numbers are settled. And - cold comfort perhaps - there's 9 months or so until those personnel take their places.

Yes, and it's a valid fear.

The 'Liberal Democratic' candidate is as extreme as it gets really, more alarming than the various recreational parties in some respects. Probably a default Coalition vote (though maybe not on everything; I doubt the Coalition are Randian and individualist enough for them).

Still, hard to gauge until the numbers are settled. And - cold comfort perhaps - there's 9 months or so until those personnel take their places.

I'm hoping this LDP guy is so absolutely crazy that he will struggle to work with the Coalition and just be totally marginalised. His attitude on gun ownership, for instance, would completely destroy part of John Howard's legacy, so I don't expect the Libs to touch that any time soon, while his attitude towards privatisation is so anathema to the Nationals that they would sooner vote with the Greens than with him on any economic matter.

(Actually, I think one of the often-ignored and un/under-realised aspects of Australian politics is the surprising amount of common ground the Nationals and their supporters now share with the Greens on economic issues and even some environmental ones, e.g. fracking. There's room for them to work together, if they are willing.)

If the Nationals don't look out, and if the Greens are very focused over an extended period of time (particularly with Milne or similar figure at the helm, not one of those inner-city suits), the Green could do a number on them.

I don't know what it would take for real inroads. But it's wide open for the taking.

Rudd's quit.

Piss off you white-anting bastard. To think I once really liked him too.

The fucker should have stayed the term. I don't even care if he wrote his memoirs during question time, just sit tight and take the boredom.

We'll never know for sure the truth of the 'saving the furniture' narrative... fortunately for Kevin.

We are governed, to put it loosely, by a pack of losers, and nobody can say they weren't warned.

Except... that they kind of weren't. Not by the press gallery, at least. The same who now clutch their pearls and wonder, what, what what.

For the next three years, the question always circles in my head; is the vagueness and the evasiveness just utter incompetence, or the trace evidence of deep ideologues hiding what they must? A little of both, possibly.

I once walked in on their site (seems to have ceased activity) and it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom