Australian federal election: 7 September

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wasn't up to watching anybody's speeches tonight, but yeah, Kevin Rudd had his experiment. Fuck off, Kevin. Your purpose has been served. There will be no valedictories.

(said while acknowledging that in a brute numbers sense it maybe won't be as bad as it could be, certainly not a bloodbath, but Kevin, you were in this to win, that was the only possible justification for your shite over the last three years. The only possible justification for that was victory. Fuck off.)

Rudd served his purpose. He won the '07 election. Good stuff. Was found to be an incompetent, egotistic leader so Gillard stepped in to provide the productive leadership Australia needed. Things got done, Australia became a better place to live in, but she was a woman and a liar, but not just any liar - a JULIAR!!!!

She couldn't win the election, but maybe Rudd was good for one-thing, winning elections. Obviously not. A lame campaign against a flaccid Liberal Party. Good riddance to him, he failed at what I thought he was good at.

Who to lead Labor now? Shorten preferred I suppose, But I do wish Combet had wanted to stay in the game. Maybe Kelly? Plibersek?

I am absolutely seething. It's not just that the Coalition won. They're pretty vile of course, but y'know they're going to win elections here and there. They currently reign in Victoria and, while it sucks, the state hasn't completely collapsed yet. After the Kennett years, Baillieu/Napthine has been a relative breeze. The staggering thing is that Tony fucking Abbott won.

I mean, jesus christ, if you'd told me six years ago that Tone would not only be the Liberals leader but that he would take them to a convincing victory, I would suggest you're a complete moron who needs to visit an asylum. Watch any Aussie political satire like old Chaser episodes from 2006-07 and you can see how he was viewed as a colossal joke, an extremist who nobody could ever take seriously. I cannot fathom how he managed to get to where he is and persuade enough complete flogs to vote for him. It would be one thing if Malcolm Turnbull or another level-headed individual had led this victory, but Tone? This is a shit-stain upon Australia. I've never been more embarrassed to be a citizen of this country.

Did people expect Rudd to do much better in the election than Gillard? Otherwise I don't see why they ousted her.

Evidently somebody - the caucus at least - did expect him to do better. I am not sure I was ever convinced either way.

Tony is... I'm not sure what Tony is. A DLP cold warrior, certainly. The zombie persona is his version of covering that. But where he fits within his own party... it's the rest of them who worry me, and why the senate is critical.

Did people expect Rudd to do much better in the election than Gillard? Otherwise I don't see why they ousted her.

Yep. There was a general fear that Gillard would lead to an electoral wipe-out. Queensland and western Sydney looked completely fucked (at one stage I predicted the ALP could lose every seat in Queensland apart from Griffith), and she was ousted in the wake of a series of polls that showed seats in Victoria previously considered utterly safe were under serious threat.

Whether it was an advisable move or not in light of tonight's abominable result will be debated for years I'm sure.

I voted Green and preferenced Labor. I work for the Leighton’s/Downer constructors on the regional rail project which was funded by federal Labor. The conalition will halt all further rail projects and stick to their knitting which is roads only.

With the conalition cutting foreign aid, it will be interesting to see Bono’s reaction when he comes to Australia next. :hmm:

Ah come on, it's not that bad, at least I can get more done now that I'm moving double-time like in a very early newsreel.

I jest, of course. Now let's see the internal battle between Catholic Cold Warrior Tony and Free Market Tony seep out like whisky from a broken barrel.

Alright Ax, where's a good place in NZ I can move to?

Alas, you've got to get rid of John Key's government first before you can set up somewhere pretty!

I keep thinking "maybe I should look more closely at jobs in New Zeala- oh yeah John Key".

I was thinking 'gee maybe I should move to the UK' but then I remembered The Smug Posh Shit aka David Cameron is there.

Rudd wasn't anti immigration - Rudd was anti 'irregular maritime arrivals'. Big difference. Still not great, and very anti-progressive, but still, a massive difference from 'anti-immigration'.

One thing I'm quite interested to see is just how Abbott's term will progress. The way some of the left (which I consider myself part of - voted Sex Party/Greens) babble on you would think that in two months everyone not white, straight and male will be deported from Australia.

I don't like Tony Abbott and I don't like many of Liberal's policies. But things like that Don't Be A Fucking Idiot blog really piss me off. I saw so many left-wing friends sharing that on Facebook as if it was a tome of honesty and the antidote to the LNP's certain victory. But it was incredibly biased and left out all of the shit policies the ALP has.

Let's face it - this country will not burn to the ground with the Libs in power. I really don't like the rhetoric that so many fellow left-wingers espouse.

Let's talk about some other things, like how Adam Bandt retained his seat of Melbourne, and how fucking awesome Melbourne is. How the Senate is going to be made up of all these ludicrous nobodies. How hard that will make it for the Libs to get things through. When will Abbott strike down the carbon tax as he promised? Will he last? Who's going to be the new Opposition Leader, and how long will he/she last?

I saw a lot of people on Facebook post about how they were voting for Clive Palmer. His campaign has been very good - all the ads and so on have not mentioned anything about the fact that he's a mining magnate who will be terrible for the environment. He's become popular on the back of his goofy personality.

These are just some of my thoughts for now.

Also, on the NBN... (which is admittedly an issue I know next to nothing about)

The left paints the Lib's NBN as backwards, which flabbergasts me given Turnbull is a successful businessman, is smart and is the minister for communication. I also follow a right-winger on Twitter is a technophile and he passionately supports the Lib's NBN... so surely it can't be that bad?

Are the Sex Party really all that left wing? To me they're like a milder variant of the 'let's privatise everything for no reason at all' Liberal Democratic Party.

I'd like to think that Abbott's actual ability to wreck the joint is somewhat constrained. Well, until next July it's very constrained indeed. I'll be very interested, even after then, to see how well his simple mantras stack up against the reality of governing.

Pretty sure that 'we'll stop the boats' basically amounts to 'we'll stop reporting the boats'. The Coalition might not be able to 'axe the tax', and even if they do, guess what, power prices won't fall. As for building the roads of the twenty-first century... maybe the 'infrastructure prime minister' can be talked into coopting the NBN. Why not, he's already embraced other labor initiatives when it suited.

Are things like the NBN and the carbon tax/its successor scheme now too far gone to unscramble?

That's the legislative side. On the culture wars side, the theatre of public discourse, I expect the temperature in the room to get very chilly indeed. The nasties will be having a field day.

He's our Mitt Romney, except a worse public speaker.

(what's happened to Mitt by the way? I literally haven't heard his name once since the election)

I don't like Tony Abbott and I don't like many of Liberal's policies. But things like that Don't Be A Fucking Idiot blog really piss me off. I saw so many left-wing friends sharing that on Facebook as if it was a tome of honesty and the antidote to the LNP's certain victory. But it was incredibly biased and left out all of the shit policies the ALP has.

I really don't see what was particularly inaccurate about Don't Be A Fucking Idiot and it even acknowledged that the ALP had some pretty poor policies - just not as indescribably shit as this wretched government we've just elected.

Let's face it - this country will not burn to the ground with the Libs in power.

It pretty much will if Tone is given free range on his approach to the climate. Seriously, do you want a Great Barrier Reef? Australia needs to act pretty quickly and pretty substantially on climate change. The ALP were half-arsing it, but at least they were sort of trying. The Coalition do not even begin to comprehend the significance of the environment and are openly dismissive of science that does not provide the conclusions they desire.

Let's talk about some other things, like how Adam Bandt retained his seat of Melbourne, and how fucking awesome Melbourne is. How the Senate is going to be made up of all these ludicrous nobodies.

I assure you, I'm not shutting up about these for the next three years.

I saw a lot of people on Facebook post about how they were voting for Clive Palmer. His campaign has been very good - all the ads and so on have not mentioned anything about the fact that he's a mining magnate who will be terrible for the environment. He's become popular on the back of his goofy personality.

When you offer everything to everyone you inevitably get the populist protest vote. The interesting thing will be to see whether he retains it. Some populists crash and burn when they fail to deliver the much-vaunted riches they profess to see just over the horizon. Others effectively blame everybody else for the failure to deliver and just become more popular. I am concerned Clive, if he has the willingness to stick around the political arena for more than half a minute, could become the latter. Since he won't actually have much influence in the House and can be relatively easily dodged in the Senate, he could still be blaming the other parties in three years, and with the very effective line of "I've been to Canberra, I've seen how this mob work, elect more PUP candidates if you want change".

Also, on the NBN... (which is admittedly an issue I know next to nothing about)

The left paints the Lib's NBN as backwards, which flabbergasts me given Turnbull is a successful businessman, is smart and is the minister for communication. I also follow a right-winger on Twitter is a technophile and he passionately supports the Lib's NBN... so surely it can't be that bad?

Your right-wing Twitter dude is in about 1% of technophiles. There's a reason every ISP and IT consultant in the country is flipping their shit about FTTN replacing FTTP. There really is no competition; if we half-arse the NBN to save a few bucks in the short-term, we will only have to spend even more to re-do the system in a few years' time. It's actually cheaper to do the job properly the first time, no matter what bollocks the Liberals try to spin. If you think this policy is entirely Turnbull's or even largely his, you're kidding yourself. Here, good technological policy long since became subservient to a particular economic ideology that involves slashing public expenditure. The suggestion that major Liberal backers such as Murdoch/Foxtel are not keen on FTTP and have leaned on the party to promote FTTN to help protect their business model is not entirely baseless either.

Basically, if you are going to develop infrastructure, you aim to introduce the most comprehensive system possible. Any good project manager will tell you that you need to future-proof it and allow for demand far beyond the present. FTTN will barely even meet present demand, let alone future usage. In essence, the Liberals want to do with the NBN what successive Victorian state governments have done with the railways - run 21st century trains on 19th century track and alignments. The ALP's NBN is visionary and forward-thinking; it will serve Australia well for decades. The Liberals' NBN cuts corners to simply meet present demand; but then again given the profound lack of vision and imagination the Liberals show with most policy, it's par for the course.

Are the Sex Party really all that left wing? To me they're like a milder variant of the 'let's privatise everything for no reason at all' Liberal Democratic Party.

Their social policy speaks to a lot of left-wing issues and they've very carefully articulated little or no economic policy specifically because they know expanding their civil libertarian perspective to economic libertarian will alienate their inner city progressive support base, as most progressives support large government with a strong public sector. If they don't fade away, one day they will have to articulate an economic policy and the protest vote they get from some progressives will go straight back to the Greens.

Back
Top Bottom