Atheism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It also sends a good message to children about taking responsibility for their actions.
Yes teacher I punched Suzy in the face, but Jesús has promised to get suspended in my place

What ethical person could go along with a human sacrifice to satisfy a blood debt?

what person? who said person?

we are talking about God or Gods

it seems to be a requirement, just look back at all the belief systems and myths

why would monotheists give up such a winning bit of the equation?
modifications? no problem,
but don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs

I really must learn how to be more open minded :doh:

It's okay to torture and kill somebody if they're the son of God (and are in fact God) - why didn't anybody tell Alberto Gonzalez about this neat loophole.

They only need enough people to pray

Our father who art in Gitmo

ksm.jpg

I'm with Kieran.

All I know is that, last week, I made some comments in this forum. Since then, my people have been visited with a plague of snowflakes that will not stop. 29" over the weekend, 24" more today, and more reportedly coming. I will post here no more. Call me superstitious, but I know what I know.

if a baby is found alive in a tree 10 days after the tsunami
it is a miracle, evidence that God exist and intervenes on our behalf.

& the two hundred plus thousand who died were just collateral damage they got in the way..

I need a T-Shirt that says

MURDER/EARTHQUAKES/TSUNAMI'S/TORNADO'S/FAMINE =
GOD'S POPULATION CONTROL

I remember when my prematurely-born son was in intensive care , my crazy wack job religious in laws were already starting with the "it's God will" crap when it looked like we'd lose him and the "we prayed for a miracle and got it" when he lived - Umm, no it was the DOCTORS who saved his ass

Maybe you should consider leaving an organisation that shields child rapists and supplies murderous advice about condoms to Africans. Demonstrating that you are principled and honest about what you believe could send a better signal to your family than just going on for the ride.

:up:

& the two hundred plus thousand who died were just collateral damage they got in the way..

I need a T-Shirt that says

MURDER/EARTHQUAKES/TSUNAMI'S/TORNADO'S/FAMINE =
GOD'S POPULATION CONTROL

you just don't get it
many don't

that miracle, that a little baby could be found alive in a tree
TWO WEEKS LATER
is proof that God does choose to do miracles, when he chooses

all the other deaths do not matter

if there were NO MIRACLES
then atheists would have better arguments!

you just don't get it
many don't

that miracle, that a little baby could be found alive in a tree
TWO WEEKS LATER
is proof that God does choose to do miracles, when he chooses

all the other deaths do not matter

if there were NO MIRACLES
then atheists would have better arguments!

I can't tell if you are kidding or not L:DL

Still waiting for someone's leg to grow back guys!

Actually, I've had friends who have had crooked legs and backs made straight as a direct result of healing prayer.

I get leery of anyone who claims to be able to manifest (or manipulate) healing power. (Benny Hinn comes to mind, as does a host of others.) But that's not the same thing as believing that miraculous healings don't happen.

There was a film at Sundance about miraculous healing. At the end of the Q&A the director, Mark Ruffalo, was asked whether he believes in healing. His response was interesting: "I believe you get the healing you need, not the healing you want."

What ethical person could go along with a human sacrifice to satisfy a blood debt?

That's kind of the whole point, actually. In the face of various tribal cultures who understood and embraced human sacrifice, traditional Judaism sacrificed lambs at the temple during Passover -- and followers of Jesus believe He was the fulfillment of such sacrifices, sent by God and being the very nature of God to declare once and for all that the debt was paid, by taking on the sum total debt of humanity's sin and brokenness.

What human sacrifice could not do, God did by putting Himself in our place.

My question has been answered, and I still find such sacrifice repulsive.

The cross is a brutal, horrific symbol of death. It's weird that Christians revere it so. I understand its significance in what I believe, but I find the empty tomb much more indicative of the faith I pursue. Romanticizing the crucifixion seems to be missing the point.

There was no modern medicine at play at all?

No. In at least two occasions, they went to the doctors the next day, who were confounded. Another friend had the same experience with cancer. There was no medical explanation for what happened.

Yes, PhilsFan, I'm aware of what I said.

I'm not one to start running around and declaring magic cures. I think a lot of that stuff is a crock of hooey.

But I can no longer say that miracles don't happen.

Yes, your friends' prayers got their limbs healed. People die from an earthquake or a tsunami or a hurricane, but your friends' limbs are better because of God. Got it. OK.

Yes, your friends' prayers got their limbs healed. People die from an earthquake or a tsunami or a hurricane, but your friends' limbs are better because of God. Got it. OK.

And a year ago my wife and I miscarried.

I understand the emotion behind this. I really do. At the same time, it's not like the world gets any better if you remove God from it. So, like I said before, maybe suffering doesn't prove the absence of God. Maybe God is found in the hands that pull people alive from the Haitian rubble long after they're supposed to be dead.

Actually, I've had friends who have had crooked legs and backs made straight as a direct result of healing prayer.

You can believe in miracles but the reference to "direct result" above is still a silly statement.

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom