Arizona bill 1070

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
slide_6385_84870_large.jpg

I guess the "newspaper" front page was more about the 2010 election base issue, but they probably do think he's dissing white guys about this Arizona issue as well

He hates white males

You know what this means? All those damned white illegal immigrants from Canada, Ireland and wherever else are going to flock to Arizona and walk around freely without a care in the world, because they don't have a chance of being suspected of being here illegally!

Party in AZ, whooo!!!!

Glenn said today that liberals are just hate filled people who are uneducated, so when they use the term "nazi" it's just mean name calling.

When he uses it, he can back it up with his revisionist version of historical "facts".

Let that be a lesson to you all...

Where is Rachel Maddow and Oberman's concrete evidence????????????:huh::huh::huh::huh:

they never have the guts to write it on a chalk board for all to see.

Glenn said today that liberals are just hate filled people who are uneducated...

I know personally, I'm trying to steer clear of the generalizations that tend to fly out of my fingers online when I'm all riled up with political outrage, so maybe I'm just projecting a little bit ...

... does that read to anyone else like he's making a sly joke to turn around the left's usual generalization about conservatives?

I might be overestimating Senor Beck.

I don't know the specifics on this to be honest.

I asked a friend of mine who is in law enforcement here in TX and I asked him about this subject once.

He said, no one wants to touch the subject because it's a butterfly effect. The cops don't care if they aren't doing harm because they know they've used them for labor on their ranch or in their yards at one point. Politicians don't want to do anything because they know local prices would start climbing if a mass exodus was made, or they know that some company they invest in uses illegal labor at some point. It's a dirty not so secret that here in TX a large percentage of farming uses undocumented labor, lots of smaller hotels, cooks and bus boys, a big portion of construction, and even road construction.

There's a local Republican politician that I know for a fact uses undocumented labor(or at least used to as of 5 years ago), it's one of the reasons he remains so quiet on the subject.

The dirty secret is that very few really want to do anything about it, they know there's very little pay off. But it's a great talking point, it solidifies your xenophobic base.

Reagan understood this...

Great post!

I tend to think that the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill(its outline has been there forever) was not perfect, but something like it is the best shot at getting the issue to something that looks reasonably like a solution.

People got caught up in "amnesty" and called it that and the bill was killed. That was the Republicans. Then the Democrats(Dorgan, a few others) that helped defeat it in 2007 were all up in arms about the downward effect on wages from Bush's guest worker program. Well, if the Republicans had stopped listening to Rush Limbaugh and the Democrats had listened to Ted Kennedy's pleas not to make the perfect the enemy of the good, it would have passed. I mean, I was pissed at those few Democrats- they didn't think that you could modify or take out the guest worker program at a later date?
Ridiculous.

Not to mention, this is not amnesty, as that entails, not implies, but entails getting off free. The immigration reform bills heavily fine those already in the country illegally and require they line up behind all those in the line legally, learn English, and by the way, if you have so much as run a red light or stole a pack of gum, you're out of here! After a certain date, the fine and get in line deal was off, and all those who newly crossed the border illegally were to be deported. So "fine and in line" was not the ideal solution even for the framers of the bill, just the most practical and cost effective solution to our failure to secure the borders in the past.

McCain-Kennedy was actually devoted, in very large part, to better border control, more funding for law enforcement units directly focused on issues like kidnapping and drug/gun running. It also imposed swift fines on those who hire illegals and started the process for an e-verification system for workers. E-verify is much, much harder to falsify than Social Security cards.

So a good, non amnesty bill was killed because Republicans listened to talk radio and the right wing fringe and Democrats made the perfect the enemy of the good, what else is new?

As you did a great job of pointing out, BVS, Republicans understand the workers in the country illegally and how widespread they are. The cops clearly understand that enforcing a law like this could be more trouble than it is worth, and take the focus off guns and drugs, etc.

You mentioned a local Republican politician using undocumented labor, well I have a national one: Mitt Romney! As recently as 2006/07. Nonetheless, look for Mitt to show up at the "lets take our country back from the Mexicans" rallies that will undoubtedly take place this summer. Of course, lost in all this is the fact that, since the recession hit, millions of illegals have gone home to Mexico, we have much less than we did in 2006.

I would trust more Republicans on this issue if they did not only talk about it in an election year to whip up the base. GW Bush, to his great credit, got this issue and actually worked hard regardless of the year to try and see McCain-Kennedy passed.

So we have one party once again whipping up the fringe into a frenzy instead of looking to solve the real problem that they know exists and will only get worse when left to emotions and talking points.

One thing should be crystal clear, the Republican Party, and America in general, can no longer afford to listen to the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck on these issues. They whip up the base and make it harder for any Republican to get anything done for fear of pissing them off. Just look at what has happened- John McCain would, in all likelihood, vote against the very bill he wrote in 2006 today. Charlie Crist, a few short months ago a rising GOP star is poised to bolt the party.

I hope the Arizona bill goes through court proceedings quickly. That way other states will know their options.

For the last several days I keep hearing from talk radio that this law "only enforces the existing federal law", if that is the case then why not just execute a state memorandum?

Can some of you supporters explain this to me? And what precautions or wording is put in place so that this doesn't give free reign on racial profiling?

What do you honestly think will be gained by this law?

"Now suddenly if you don't have your papers, and you took your kid out to get ice cream, you're going to get harassed – that's something that could potentially happen," Obama said of the Arizona measure. "That's not the right way to go."

:laugh: Legal aliens are obligated to carry their green card on them, Mr. President. It's federal law.

:laugh: Legal aliens are obligated to carry their green card on them, Mr. President. It's federal law.

i know, right? if you have nothing to hide, then what are you afraid of? it's not like people ever step outside without their driver's license. maybe they could just wear some sort of armband, like with a sombrero or a tamale? that would ease identification.

papieren, bitte.

How about this: My husband was going to go visit some friends of his mom's who live in Tucson. I advised him not to go. He doesn't have an Arizona driver's license, so if he gets stopped by a cop, and we do know that cops frequently stop motorcyclists for slim reasons, he has no way of proving he's an American citizen.

Oh wait. I guess he could carry his passport to Arizona. You know, that document you have to carry when you visit a foreign country.

But seriously, Bluer White, the only acceptable documents for this law are AZ driver's licenses, passports, and the various papers that legal immigrants have. What should he do?

But seriously, Bluer White, the only acceptable documents for this law are AZ driver's licenses, passports, and the various papers that legal immigrants have.

I'd put a Glenn Beck bumper sticker on my car

and wear an NRA baseball cap.

\/ you're on the watch list.

How about this: My husband was going to go visit some friends of his mom's who live in Tucson. I advised him not to go. He doesn't have an Arizona driver's license, so if he gets stopped by a cop, and we do know that cops frequently stop motorcyclists for slim reasons, he has no way of proving he's an American citizen.

But seriously, Bluer White, the only acceptable documents for this law are AZ driver's licenses, passports, and the various papers that legal immigrants have. What should he do?

Surely they accept driver's licenses from other states?

I found a copy of the text of the law. It says:

Specifies that a person is presumed to be lawfully present if the person provides any of the following:
Ø A valid Arizona driver license.
Ø A valid Arizona nonoperating identification license.
Ø A valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification.
Ø A valid federal, state or local government issued identification, if the issuing entity requires proof of legal presence before issuance.

California requires "proof of legal presence" for a DLso I guess Californians are off the hook.

Claim: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.

False. That’s simply not what the bill says at all. This page includes "SEC. 152. PROHIBITING DISCRIMINATION IN HEALTH CARE," which says that "[e]xcept as otherwise explicitly permitted by this Act and by subsequent regulations consistent with this Act, all health care and related services (including insurance coverage and public health activities) covered by this Act shall be provided without regard to personal characteristics extraneous to the provision of high quality health care or related services." However, the bill does explicitly say that illegal immigrants can’t get any government money to pay for health care. Page 143 states: "Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States." And as we’ve said before, current law prohibits illegal immigrants from participating in government health care programs.

So hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, government aid agencies, pharmacies and doctors can ask for your "papers"... but not policemen in the coarse of their normal duties.
:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom