Arizona bill 1070

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Armed coyotes? What the heck is that?

PHOENIX – Suns fans wore "Los Suns" jerseys and T-shirts and a group of four even entered the arena with sombreros for their team's playoff game against the San Antonio Spurs.

There was a lone protester holding up a homemade sign outside the arena who was against the idea of the "Los Suns" jerseys Phoenix wore Wednesday night for Game 2 of its second-round series.

Otherwise, it was a typical game night around US Airways Center.

The Suns made headlines the day before with their decision to wear "Los Suns" jerseys on the Cinco de Mayo holiday. A new Arizona immigration law has drawn widespread criticism from Latino organizations and civil rights groups that say it could lead to racial profiling of Hispanics. President Barack Obama has called the law "misguided."

The protester, who identified herself only as Karen from Glendale, held a sign which read The Phoenix Suns support drug runners; armed coyotes; drop houses; extradition; forced labor; forced prostitution of illegals; murder of Arizona citizens on their own property; assault on law enforcement officers.

"I was disappointed that the ownership for the Suns organization decided to not support our state's efforts to do something about the problem we have on our borders," said the woman, who added she came to the arena only to protest.

"How they feel personally on their own time is one thing, but as an organization that has so much influence over public opinion — it's like the outsiders that come in. Their views on the bill are distorted, too."

Pedro Flores of Phoenix came to the game wearing an Amare Stoudemire "Los Suns" jersey and said he's proud his team is taking a stand on the controversy.

"It's good and on Cinco de Mayo day," he said. "I think it's great."

Coyote is slang for the people who smuggle illegals across the border for a fee.

Armed coyotes? What the heck is that?

coyote2.jpg

these guys, digging under the fence and coming over from mexico, raping our poodles and cocker spaniels and eating unattended small children

I know, I read the paper too much; generation gap, blah blah blah.

This was interesting yesterday:

Is the anxiety over Arizona's immigration law justified? Depends on whom you ask - latimes.com

Rodriguez is a 51-year-old naturalized American of Mexican descent. He and his wife, Antonia, have known my mother since the 1980s, when they were active members of Sedona's Catholic church.....Now the climate there has grown very ugly for people of Mexican descent, Rodriguez told me.

He's grown used to being stopped by police who demand various documents. Often the stops seem arbitrary. Sometimes a patrol car will tailgate his vehicle on the highways around Cottonwood.

while it's not at all true that most Republicans are racists, it is absolutely true that Republicans have offered a safe haven for racists.

this bill, however, goes deeper than pure racism. for example, it has cultural and ethnic panic as well.

this issue (argument) has many components

to demonize people that have come down one one side of the argument or the other is really not fair.

should sanctuary cities be boycotted?

this thread is about
Arizona bill 1070

which has broad support nationally

but that new ethnic studies law does have a few components to take into consideration

FOXNews.com - Holder Admits to Not Reading Arizona's Immigration Law Despite Criticizing It

Despite repeatedly voicing concerns about Arizona's new immigration enforcement law in recent weeks and threatening to challenge it, Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday he has not yet read the law -- which is only 10 pages long.

"I have not had a chance to -- I've glanced at it," Holder said at a House Judiciary Committee hearing when asked had he read the state law cracking down on illegal immigrants.

:giggle:

I can't find anything that specifies any ethnic studies programs at colleges.

But, either way, I'm done with AZ for a while. It hurts, because so much of what I love is there, but I can't really support their bullshit anymore.

When will a supporter tell me the reason the law was written?

I keep hearing, "it's because the federal law isn't being upheld".

Ok, but if this law is only made to uphold the federal law, how will it work? It doesn't make the state police ask for papers, so what's the reason? The existing law allowed state police to report illegal immigrants, what will change?

Diamond at least tried but failed and fleed when he realized he did so, so anyone else?

Once some of you realize it was only a political move the quicker we can talk about the real issue at hand.

Once some of you realize it was only a political move the quicker we can talk about the real issue at hand.

Right, just politics.

Nothing at all to do with the drug traffic, murders, kidnappings, overcrowded prisons, overrun emergency rooms, overwhelmed schools, non-insured drivers, the identity theft, the overstressed government budgets or the loss of American jobs to non-citizens.

Just a bunch of 'misguided" bigots playing politics.

Right, just politics.

Nothing at all to do with the drug traffic, murders, kidnappings, overcrowded prisons, overrun emergency rooms, overwhelmed schools, non-insured drivers, the identity theft, the overstressed government budgets or the loss of American jobs to non-citizens.

Just a bunch of 'misguided" bigots playing politics.

INDY, once again you are not answering the question.

You're just spilling the rhetoric...

The question is, how does this law change any of that to which you listed?

Think about it and be honest.

INDY, once again you are not answering the question.

You're just spilling the rhetoric...

The question is, how does this law change any of that to which you listed?

Think about it and be honest.

This cuts to the heart of the issue right here.

Frankly, I was glad Diamond came in and pointed out that this bill did not allow someone to be pulled over just based on suspicion of being illegal.

There was some confusion on that, and I was glad to back him up and then some, as despite my differences with 1070, I want an honest discussion on the merits of the actual bill. Not what some with an agenda say it includes.

However, no one has answered your question yet.

If the cops could do the same thing before as they can now, what was the reason?

And for good measure, I will add: How to explain that the Republicans always put up a similar measure at the exact same point in every election year?

I don't see this bill solving anything that the federal government is not.

I mean, what new tools and resources for combating illegal immigration have been given to law enforcement or employers or state revenue officers by 1070?

What new funds have been appropriated to combat drug trafficking?

Kidnappings?

Gun running?

All of the issues that Indy mentions are damn legitimate concerns.

However, and I will keep saying it, if we had Comprehensive Bipartisan Immigration reform passed in 2006 or 07, we would NOW have increased border patrol, better targeting of drug cartels, better technology for ICE agents, higher fines on those who hire illegals, sanctions, requirements for back taxes and a boot to the back of the line for illegals who are getting off free now. Also, we would be well on our way to a much harder to forge e verification system for all employers to check the status of applicants or employees.

In other words, if we step back from the rhetoric, we see the level headed approach that the right is calling "amnesty" actually targets the problems Indy mentions much, much better than 1070, which does not do it at all.

Measures can be taken independent of getting a big controversial bill passed to address the crisis in AZ. Napolitano ordered the guard out, what is keeping Brewer? AZ's representatives in Congress can propose federal legislation to fund some specialized law enforcement task forces, you all get the idea.

Action not rhetoric will solve this problem.

I know for sure that the people who only care about this issue in an election year are going for the latter and not the former.

your enemies are not Mexicans, INDY. the people who have put America in it's present state are the GOP and Wall Street.

find some other kids to pick on, not the most defenseless and most vulnerable in our society.

Back
Top Bottom