Anti-Tax Tea Parties Held Across U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
California proves this as illegal immigration costs CA taxpayers an estimated 10.5 billion a year. That's half the deficit right there.

I have a hard time believing this number. And like so many subjects you miss the nuances of this issue.

How much would it cost the tax payers to hunt them all down and deport them?

How much more would it cost tax payers when construction costs, produce, maid services, etc go up?

you know what else would fill the state's treasury in CA?

legal same-sex marriage.

and legal marijuana.

all much better for everyone than off shore drilling.

I have a hard time believing this number. And like so many subjects you miss the nuances of this issue.

How much would it cost the tax payers to hunt them all down and deport them?

How much more would it cost tax payers when construction costs, produce, maid services, etc go up?

No "hunting down."
Enforce the borders.
Enact laws to target and penalize businesses that hire illegals.
Turn off the magnet of free social services.

Then work on sensible controlled immigration policies that benefit the country.

you know what else would fill the state's treasury in CA?

legal same-sex marriage.

The same could be said for multiple partner marriages could it not.

and legal marijuana.
They say the same thing about lotteries and legalized gambling don't they? But maybe the state shouldn't legitimize or sanction what can easily become irresponsible activities just because they can fill their coffers by doing so.

But I'm open to the idea.
all much better for everyone than off shore drilling.

Or we can continue to send dollars and oil jobs off to Venezuela and Saudi Arabia.

Do you really think we're just sitting there saying come on through, what do you really mean by "enforce the borders"?
Enforce the borders.

Be ready to pay more...
Not in the long run but yeah, business loves the cheap labor which is why they support open border policies.

How do you plan on doing this?
English only laws.

Federal enforcement to end the practice of sanctuary cities.

Stop floating the idea of amnesty programs .

Citizenship requirements to receive a drivers license, welfare, medicaid, food stamps, housing assistance or a public education. Crazy right?

Or are you content with our current immigration policies?

The same could be said for multiple partner marriages could it not.

this dodges the actual issue at hand -- but if you'd like to make that argument, please go ahead.

They say the same thing about lotteries and legalized gambling don't they? But maybe the state shouldn't legitimize or sanction what can easily become irresponsible activities just because they can fill their coffers by doing so.

But I'm open to the idea.

it just strikes me that the legalization of marijuana is a seems a much more human thing than deporting citizens who contribute a dramatic amount to the economy.

Or we can continue to send dollars and oil jobs off to Venezuela and Saudi Arabia.

or we can green up the economy. just saying.

or we can green up the economy. just saying.

Green energy in our lifetimes is a fantasy -- unable to produce a baseload-grid of energy because of it's fluctuations and inefficiencies and economically not feasible without massive public subsidies. A luxury no longer available to us. Which is why much of Europe is abandoning its "green dream" and building or planning nuclear power plants. Clean, reliable and inexpensive.

Which we should be doing along with using our 500 hundred year supply of coal, oil shale, natural gas, and offshore and Alaskan crude.

"Green energy," sounds nice in speeches anyway.

Enforce the borders.

That's what I thought...

Not in the long run but yeah, business loves the cheap labor which is why they support open border policies.
Yes, in the long run...

English only laws.

Federal enforcement to end the practice of sanctuary cities.

Stop floating the idea of amnesty programs .

Citizenship requirements to receive a drivers license, welfare, medicaid, food stamps, housing assistance or a public education. Crazy right?

Or are you content with our current immigration policies?

English only laws won't do shit.

I'm not sure how you plan on getting federal enforcement to the practice of sanctuary cities. It sounds like a lot tax payer money and infringing on state's rights... :tsk:

How does the idea of amnesty create a magnet? Amnesty only affects those already here...

How do you tell the third grader they can't go to school because mommy and daddy who are working their asses off don't have the proper paperwork?

You don't just let someone die because they come into the emergency room and have no insurance because they don't have the proper paperwork yet...

No, I do not think the current immigration policies are perfect but I also do not prescribe to the conservative approach which is often unempathetic and more times than not based somewhat on racism.

Green energy in our lifetimes is a fantasy

I guess American Exceptionalism only lives when it's conservative thinking. I knew you guys didn't really believe in it.

Where would NASA be if they thought like this?

We have full cities powered by wind here in Texas. Anything that happens in one's lifetime, often started in someone else's lifetime. That's the problem with conservatives, they are so damn selfish when it comes to this issue. Damnitt this is the way my grandfather did it, it's the way I'm goin to do it, who cares about future generations... I won't be there. :grumpy:

Green energy in our lifetimes is a fantasy -- unable to produce a baseload-grid of energy because of it's fluctuations and inefficiencies and economically not feasible without massive public subsidies. A luxury no longer available to us. Which is why much of Europe is abandoning its "green dream" and building or planning nuclear power plants. Clean, reliable and inexpensive.

Which we should be doing along with using our 500 hundred year supply of coal, oil shale, natural gas, and offshore and Alaskan crude.

"Green energy," sounds nice in speeches anyway.

i think you've got something mixed up -- building nuclear power plants doesn't meant that anyone's abandoning wind or solar, or building effective public transit. it means that there are many ways to tackle an issue, and i am open to a serious discussion on nuclear power. i think they are vastly safer now than in the days of Chernobyl, but i think it's silly to view them as anything other than one tool to battle the problem.

i also have a different take on fossil fuels. i think we need to rid ourselves of them, first, so we can disentangle ourselves from the morass of ancient ethnic hatreds in the Middle East. however, "offshore drilling" is a quick-fix to this situation, and it doesn't solve the fact that our cars and factories and buildings spew poison into our atmosphere and it's going to kill us. as has been noted in another thread, it's not the Earth i'm so much worried about. it's people.

i think you've got something mixed up -- building nuclear power plants doesn't meant that anyone's abandoning wind or solar, or building effective public transit. it means that there are many ways to tackle an issue, and i am open to a serious discussion on nuclear power. i think they are vastly safer now than in the days of Chernobyl, but i think it's silly to view them as anything other than one tool to battle the problem.

Solar and wind are fine as a supplemental form of energy but if they were economically feasible you wouldn't need speechifying and laws... it would already be a booming industry. Instead, like ethanol, it's collapsing, propped up only by government subsides, environmental lobbyists and nincompoops in the media.

i also have a different take on fossil fuels. i think we need to rid ourselves of them, first, so we can disentangle ourselves from the morass of ancient ethnic hatreds in the Middle East. however, "offshore drilling" is a quick-fix to this situation,
We have all that energy we need right here in this country. Energy independence is just the right leadership in Washington away.

and it doesn't solve the fact that our cars and factories and buildings spew poison into our atmosphere and it's going to kill us. as has been noted in another thread, it's not the Earth i'm so much worried about. it's people.
People "spew" the very same poison from their lungs into the air so I guess you should be worried.

Solar and wind are fine as a supplemental form of energy but if they were economically feasible you wouldn't need speechifying and laws... it would already be a booming industry. Instead, like ethanol, it's collapsing, propped up only by government subsides and environmental lobbyists.

you mean like Exxon-Mobil?

We have all that energy we need right here in this country. Energy independence is just the right leadership in Washington away.

not long term. and it's still going to kill us.

People "spew" the very same poison from their lungs into the air so I guess you should be worried.

if that's what you think, then i've got just the Congressman for you!

YouTube - Smokey Joe Barton On Opposing Cap & Trade: "You Can't Regulate God"

YouTube - Energy Secretary puzzled by stupid question from Rep. Joe Barton

English only laws won't do shit.
Nice English.
I'm not sure how you plan on getting federal enforcement to the practice of sanctuary cities. It sounds like a lot tax payer money and infringing on state's rights... :tsk:
States can't ignore federal laws, only the federal government can do that.
How does the idea of amnesty create a magnet? Amnesty only affects those already here...
How would the idea of a free U2 concert create an influx of people days in advance of the show.
How do you tell the third grader they can't go to school because mommy and daddy who are working their asses off don't have the proper paperwork?
In English?
No, I do not think the current immigration policies are perfect but I also do not prescribe to the conservative approach which is often unempathetic and more times than not based somewhat on racism.

Of course every concerned American on the issue of immigration is a racist.

Immigration traditionally meant the immigrant assimilating to his new country, not the country to the immigrant.

or that the conservatives have just identified a new scapegoat for whatever problem? first, it was the Irish. then, on the West Coast, it was the "yellow peril." then it was the Eastern Europeans. now, it's the Mexicans. :shrug:

and it's still going to kill us.
To quote our president yesterday.

"We will be ill-served by the fear-mongering that emerges whenever we discuss this issue,"

Too bad he wasn't talking about manmade global warming or Cap and Trade.

if that's what you think, then i've got just the Congressman for you!

YouTube - Smokey Joe Barton On Opposing Cap & Trade: "You Can't Regulate God"
He's 100% right. By God he's referring to natural sources of carbon dioxide like volcanic eruptions, the decay of dead plants and animals, evaporation from the oceans and the respiration of living creatures. Nautural carbon dioxide emissions account for 95% of all emissions.
So blame god for our emanate death, not my SUV.

He's 100% right. By God he's referring to natural sources of carbon dioxide like volcanic eruptions, the decay of dead plants and animals, evaporation from the oceans and the respiration of living creatures. Nautural carbon dioxide emissions account for 95% of all emissions.
So blame god for our emanate death, not my SUV.

and, clearly, the Good Lord put all that gasoline in Saudi Arabia for our blessed use.

ever put a plastic bad over your head? that's how we know that CO2 is harmless.

Joe Barton, the same guy who said the BCS was like "communism" because it was "all about money"? Yeah, he seems like a sharp guy.

Natural gas baby. It's a potential solution to some of our problems concerning energy. Is Obama still on the Pickens train or not?

Also, it's interesting that talk about 'traditional immigration' usually omits the fact that there wasn't an immigration policy in America until the 20th century.

In English?
You're so Christ like, it truly humbles me to have you in our presence...
Not what I said, but nice deflection...

Immigration traditionally meant the immigrant assimilating to his new country, not the country to the immigrant.
And how exactly is the US assimilating to immigrants?

Joe Barton, the same guy who said the BCS was like "communism" because it was "all about money"? Yeah, he seems like a sharp guy.

Natural gas baby. It's a potential solution to some of our problems concerning energy. Is Obama still on the Pickens train or not?

Also, it's interesting that talk about 'traditional immigration' usually omits the fact that there wasn't an immigration policy in America until the 20th century.

:shh: facts are not allowed in this thread.

Maybe that was the year the Texas Longhorns were not included.
Yes, abundent and cheap but unfortunately it too will kill us.

There also wasn't nearly as much of it because of transportation, it was vastly more diverse forcing quicker assimilation, and there was no huge network of publicly funded government programs for them to draw on making them a net loss economically speaking.

There also wasn't nearly as much of it because of transportation, it was vastly more diverse forcing quicker assimilation, and there was no huge network of publicly funded government programs for them to draw on making them a net loss economically speaking.

It's the principle of the thing.

Most of us are here because we had ancestors who had access to the opportunity. That's all these people want. How can we in good conscience say to them "well, we got ours, sucks for you..."

Enforce the borders, by all means, but let's stop the discourse that treats these people like common criminals. Put them on the payroll, I say, however it's done. If you can control the borders, you can grant amnesty and there is no argument about an influx of people flooding across the border.

I thought Natural Gas was cleaner? Nothing's perfect (note the above scenario).

For the answer to that question...

dial 1 for English...

So the U.S. is only a melting pot if they talk like you?

It's hurting them more than you, but I guess you'll always need some scapegoat, right?

I mean when all these states allow the gays to marry and the state doesn't go to hell you'll need some boogieman.

Oh, the science loving conservatives...:love:

I wonder if Barton has even developed object permanence yet?

Embarassed to be a Texan, yet again...

As an ex-Texan I didn't know there was such a thing as an embarrassed Texan. Guess you're the new breed.

Where does oil come from?
Where was what we now call Alaska located at that time?
What is the furthermost south any model shows it to have been located?

One doesn't have to disbelieve in plate tectonics to believe the climate has warmed and cooled in the past which I'm sure was the congressman's point. (we only have 1 minute of video)

One doesn't have to disbelieve in plate tectonics to believe the climate has warmed and cooled in the past which I'm sure was the congressman's point. (we only have 1 minute of video)

That's cute that you are trying to defend him, but I've seen more than 1 minute of video of this guy, he makes W look brilliant.

you are liberal (I am assuming) and a Texan?? :shocked:
There's a few of us... but not enough to really significantly bring the state's IQ up.

btw, have you guys seen Michelle Bachman talk about how CO2 cant be harmful because it is "natural" :doh:

I do have to laugh... The talk of global warming has been around for decades, no Al Gore didn't invent it, and the talk of CO2 has been involved for years, yet it's only recently that conservatives are coming back with the "it can't be harmful, it's natural" argument. Did someone just recently give them a 5th grade science refresher? I find it ammusing.

Back
Top Bottom