Anti-Tax Tea Parties Held Across U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Her case surely lies against her employer.

But it is worrying that government kow-tows to the rantings of right-wing weirdoes.

It's true there are no easy answers. I don't know that the issue regarding illegal immigration is over whether we should "let them in" or "not let them in" but more how we should go about stopping illegal immigration and how illegal immigrants should be treated and what measures should be taken to apprehend them.

I don't know that any but a few extremists would make the argument for completely open borders.

I agree and thanks for your post. We should go after "the bad guys and Coyotes." Who violate human rights and endorse slavery.

The problem is are these "tea parties" don't even know what they are truly protesting. They have no common voice. Some are saying it's about taxes, some are saying it's about spending, some of the protestors are waving signs about guns:huh:. Some are saying it's about Obama, others are saying it's not about Obama. And some are just anti-government.

It's really just a bitch session. And because it has no real voice or reason it won't mean shit.

Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.

~Barry Goldwater

Iron Horse, we have no idea whether or not Barry Goldwater if he were alive today would be a Tea Party supporter.

But it's worth bearing in mind that Barry Goldwater said in 1989 that the Republican Party had been taken over by a bunch of kooks.

Iron Horse, we have no idea whether or not Barry Goldwater if he were alive today would be a Tea Party supporter.

But it's worth bearing in mind that Barry Goldwater said in 1989 that the Republican Party had been taken over by a bunch of kooks.

I agree financeguy.

I really miss people like Barry Goldwater.

:giggle: Good luck with that suit.

she seems to think it's a good idea.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...ly_think_i_should_sue_breitbart.php?ref=fpblg

On the other hand, she has yet another case against the federal government. You know, the folks who actually fired her.

the people who apologized and offered her a job once they realized that Fox News and Breitbart had slimed her? that he alone released that truncated video? that they purposely set out to destroy a successful african-american woman to try to "prove" some double-standard about race, the proof that, hey, the blacks "they" do it too? that they're tossing this into the pile of the latest white outrage piece about evil, nefarious black people -- like the one Black Panther, or this mosque that "peaceful Muslims" should refudiate or racist black women who work for the government -- that's rating like gangbusters on Fox News? all designed to "refudiate" the notion that Real American Tea Partiers with their signs aren't the real racists, and the REAL racists are in the Obama administration who are using secret ploys like health care, the stimulus, and the banking bill to exact "reparations" on the American people.

yes, of course, the story her is really about OBAMA and not how the right wing media operates, nor is it about white paranoia at what "they" do. i know we routinely expect the worst out of Breitbart and Fox News, but this is really over the top. many in the larger right wing world have denounced Breitbart and Fox News over this, as they should.

i am sorry that the administration has had so many smashing successes with monumental legislation not to mention 2 more SCOTUS nominees, all while retaining a level of popularity higher than Clinton and Reagan at this point, all while presiding over 10% unemployment. but this race baiting is just another tactic, not a strategy, and it seems like the McCain campaign all over again. demagoguery only gets you so far.

she should sue the shit out of Breitbart.

Now there's a "Coffee Party"

Renowned film critic Roger Ebert took to his Twitter account last week to challenge former Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin to talk with Annabel Lee, founder of the Coffee Party Movement.

"I'd like to hear this young woman in conversation with Sarah Palin. I'm very serious," the prolific tweeter and Chicago movie maven posted on Friday, along with a link to a February video of Annabel Park explaining the Coffee Party's mission.

On Monday, Park lent her support to the proposal in a Facebook post that recommended a few details of such a potential encounter.

Roger Ebert thinks I should be "in conversation w/ Sarah Palin." Actually, I'd like to debate her. The debate can be a fundraiser for the victims of the Gulf Oil Spill and 99ers (unemployed ...for over 99 weeks, not covered by the benefit extension). What do you say, Sarah? -- Annabel

The Coffee Party describes its mission as pushing for "cooperation in government," with the understanding that "the federal government is not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will."

In the video accompanying Ebert's original tweet, Park explains the makeup of the group:

"We really have a collection of people who value diversity -- are diverse -- and we're completely comfortable with the changing demographics of our country. I think that it's human for people to be nervous about changes in their neighborhoods and in the demographics of this country, but it's not something that should be encouraged, and it certainly should not be an opportunity for political gain. I think, really, the politicians that are exploiting that fear and anxiety for political gain, they're really the worst."

The potential confrontation between Sarah Palin, a conservative heavyweight and Tea Party champion, and Annabel Park, a growing voice in the progressive movement's reaction to people like Palin, has quickly sparked interest. On Tuesday morning, Facebookers launched a group called Annabel Park v. Sarah Palin Debate.

I think the only logical move now is to start the Gin & Tonic Party, where apathetic people just say "fuck it" and go get drunk.

Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.

~Barry Goldwater

Goodness, I probably have a few years on you and barely remember Barry Goldwater. Didn't he run against Kennedy? I'm not sure. I was a very young child then.

Back to topic.

I consider myself to be a fairly educated woman, watch the news, try to enlighten myself on politics. But, I must confess. I have no idea what the Tea Party stands for.

I would appreciate and respect all information.

Thanks. Please make it simple though, I don't have my new glasses yet.

teaparty640_604x341.jpg

Fox News

The author-publisher of "The Tea Party Coloring Book for Kids" says he has received death threats over its publication.

Wayne Bell, publisher of Clayton, Mo.-based Really Big Coloring Books, said in an interview with CBS that his $3.59 coloring book is not political. But some critics think the book was designed for politically conservative adults, and not for children.

"We're not really making a political statement," Bell told CBS, adding that his company also publishes coloring books on the Rockettes, Cirque du Soleil and President Obama.

Bell told FoxNews.com on Thursday that his office began receiving "odd" phone calls and e-mails five days after the release of the coloring book on Sept. 5. Bell said he did not report those incidents to authorities.

"We don't want to be overly dramatic about what's happening," Bell said. "We just kind of let it slide."

Bell said he has received messages containing "horrible, nasty, vitriolic stuff," including a desire for someone to place him in a "chloroform headlock" since its publication.

"It was like a crescendo," Bell said of the messages. "We've locked our front door and put a sign on the door that says, 'please knock.'"

St. Louis County Police Department Officer Rick Eckhard confirmed to FoxNews.com that the department did not have an active investigation involving Bell pertaining to the alleged death threats.

Citing a "need" for a Tea Party coloring book, Bell defended the item as appropriate for children ages 2 to 10.

"Yes, it is appropriate," Bell told Fox News. "We test our products on children."

But Michael Davis, a St. Louis-area Coffee Party organizer, told KSDK.com, "I think it's inappropriate. I really question whether it's even targeted at children. There's not a lot of coloring activities."

Bell said the Tea Party book is his company's best-seller by far, with demand so high that new copies must be printed daily to keep up with demand.

"We have sold many thousands," he told CBS. He told KSDK.com that a military branch of the federal government bought 3,000 copies for kids.

The 32-page coloring book teaches children and parents about the origins of the Tea Party -- "A very pleasant song, coloring and activity book on Liberty, Faith, Freedom and so much more!" -- according to the company's website.

"Get involved, participate, self reliance, freedom of choice, work, government-of-for-by the people, Leadership, Ingenuity, Jobs and responsibilty! [sic]"

But critics point out that a passage of the coloring book reads: "When taxes are too high, the high tax takes away jobs and freedom."

Another reads: "In 1773 we had a Tea Party and this led to freedom from high taxes. Today we are having another Tea Party and this will lead to freedom from high taxes again!"

But some critics think the book was designed for politically conservative adults, and not for children.

:eyebrow: Seriously? Adults are going to flock to that?

Somehow I doubt that.

The 32-page coloring book teaches children and parents about the origins of the Tea Party -- "A very pleasant song, coloring and activity book on Liberty, Faith, Freedom and so much more!" -- according to the company's website.

"Get involved, participate, self reliance, freedom of choice, work, government-of-for-by the people, Leadership, Ingenuity, Jobs and responsibilty! [sic]"

:hmm: And yet when Obama mentions those very same concepts in speeches to schoolchildren, suddenly it's "indoctrination".

Goofy idea, especially given some of the amusing comments about taxes and such thrown in, but meh, if they want to put the product out, whatever. You don't have to buy it, after all. And any death threats that are being leveled at the people involved in this are insane-grow up and knock it off, people, you're not helping matters.

Angela

Not-So-Steeped in History: US Tea Party Should Keep Its Hands Off Hitler - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Can't agree more.
Excerpts:
In this midterm campaign season in the US, German history seems to be everywhere. In June, conservative columnist Thomas Sowell of JewishWorldReview.com essentially argued that President Barack Obama, by requiring that BP pay $20 billion (€14.3 billion) to compensate those harmed by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, was following in the footsteps of Adolf Hitler -- and was promptly praised by Sarah Palin and Republican Congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas.

Last weekend, another Tea Party-backed candidate moved on to a different chapter in German history. Joe Miller, a Republican candidate for Senate in Alaska, intimated that the US should build a Berlin Wall on its border with Mexico. "East Germany was very, very able to reduce the flow," he said. "If East Germany could, we could." ...
There is, in other words, a reason that East Germany was "very, very able to reduce the flow." It wasn't the barrier itself. After all, numerous people devised ingenious ways to escape over, under and through the Berlin Wall (on their way out of, and not into, East Germany, it should be noted). It's just that not all that many had the courage to try. If they were seen, they were shot.

Along with the wall came dogs trained to tear people apart, armed guards equipped with shoot-to-kill orders, mines, and an extremely able domestic intelligence system that permeated all parts of society.

You can't talk about Hitler without also referring to the historically unique, industrialized slaughter of the Holocaust. Similarly, you can't talk about East Germany's Berlin Wall and ignore the appalling oppression the regime visited on its citizens.

One can forgive those like Glenn Beck and his Tea Party followers for hating Barack Obama. The liberals, after all, were passionately opposed to George W. Bush and rarely shied away from hyperbole in their expressions of loathing. But it is hard to imagine even the most hard-bitten Tea Party activist sincerely believing that President Barack Obama wants to systematically murder over 6 million people like Adolf Hitler did.

With Germany's 20th century crimes fading into the past, that is a dangerous path to take. It is a path that all politicians, whatever their leanings, should avoid. The Tea Party should keep their hands off German history.

There's an article floating around from one of the original "founders" of the Tea Party, where he rants that it's been taken over by Republican operatives and corporations like Koch Industries to push their own agenda.

No shit.

Is this the kind of followers you get when you want to get rid of the department of education and think civil rights legislation should have never happened?

Huffington Post

Judson Phillips, founder of the Tea Party Nation, fortified a recent email encouraging Minnesotans in the 5th Congressional District to vote Rep. Keith Ellison (D) out -- in part because he's a Muslim -- by stating that he, as well as most Tea Party members, had serious qualms with Islam.

"A majority of Tea Party members, I suspect, are not fans of Islam," Phillips said in an interview with the Daily Caller. "I, personally have a real problem with Islam. With Islam, you have a religion that says kill the Jews, kill the infidels. It bothers me when a religion says kill the infidels. It bothers me a lot more when I am the infidel."

Earlier in the week, Phillips blasted out an email asking voters to support Ellison's opponent Lynne Torgerson, a divisive candidate herself in the area of religious tolerance:

There are a lot of liberals who need to be retired this year, but there are few I can think of more deserving than Keith Ellison. Ellison is one of the most radical members of congress. He has a ZERO rating from the American Conservative Union. He is the only Muslim member of congress. He supports the Counsel for American Islamic Relations, HAMAS and has helped congress send millions of tax to terrorists in Gaza.

Phillips, who came to prominence earlier this year for organizing a much-maligned, mainstream Tea Party National Convention, rectified his incorrect assertion that Ellison is the "only Muslim member of congress" to the Daily Caller -- Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind.) is also Muslim -- but, according to a post on Tea Party Nation, as well as a later interview in the Washington Post, would not excuse his opposition to the congressman on religious grounds.

"I am not going to apologize because I'm bothered by a religion that says kill the infidel, especially when I am the infidel," Phillips wrote on Tea Party Nation, according to the Daily Caller. "Should we vote out Keith Ellison just because he is a Muslim? No. But his beliefs define his character and his character is a central issue."

Lynne Torgerson's website can provide a little a little insight into how her candidacy meshes with Judson Phillips's "vote him out because he's Muslim" message.

Torgerson devotes a large portion of her issues page to anti-Islamist rhetoric and anti-CAIR conspiracies. Despite her intense fear of the connection between Islam and terrorism, however, she does say, "To my great relief, I have learned that there are moderate, America loving, Constitution supporting Muslims."

Ellison responded to the matter in an op-ed for the Washington Post on Wednesday.

"I issue a call to civility, and urge Americans to reject the divisive rhetoric of Republican Tea Party leaders like Judson Phillips; including calls for my defeat solely because of my religion," Ellison wrote. "I know that some don't share my political views. This is OK. In America, we cherish our diversity of views. But an American's religion is their own business and no one should be excluded based on considerations like religion, race, sex, etc."

I'm pretty happy with Ellison as my Rep. You can't even tell he's a Muslim by looking at him. :wink:

He's flawed, but he is very earnest and sincere. He will be re-elected by a large margin.

Back
Top Bottom