An FYM Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Did Jesus physically ascend to heaven?

• Yes he did

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • No he didn't, it is a pointless fabrication

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • No, it is figurative

Votes: 22 34.9%

• Total voters
I'm sorry, but none of us really know. .

But if you have chosen a particular spiritual path, yet you admit that none of us really know the truth, doesn't that make you inherently agnostic and merely hopeful that the spiritual path you have selected is the right one.....?

If you're religiously atheistic, like the starter of this poll, it's even more entertaining. :up:
Other posters here hold the same ideas as I do, but according to your scheme aren't religious. If there was a mild mannered Mormon in FYM would they be less religious than Diamond? By the same token are private Christians not religious? Your charge of religiousity has nothing to do with my ideas and everything to do with me taking enjoyment in argument, a character trait that isn't always wedded to religion.

Unbelief isn't a framework for my ethics or lifestyle nor is it a group identity. The existence of God is simply not a consideration in living my life, I don't have to go to atheist groups to reinforce my ideas or read apologetics in the hope of justifying my unbelief, it simply holds no appeal and doesn't need to be a consideration. The possibility that God exists is intriguing, but it is unwarranted in explanation and in my opinion unjustified as a basis for personal ethics. Using the label religious atheist may sound deep but it is a corruption of the term, if anything charge me with being evangelical, it would be more accurate.

The only religious atheists I can think of are people who don't believe in God but retain a cultural connection to their religion, I am not one of those people.

The results are getting pretty evenly split, people must be randomly guessing :doh:

No, I see it as 1/3 that Christ was divine and 2/3 say He wasn't-and half of those put Him on par w Gandhi, Buddha or Mohhamad.

Non of those teachers wise as they were claimed to have DNA from God the Father, could take upon the sins of the world nor rose from the dead.

<>

No, I see it as 1/3 that Christ was divine

Non of those teachers wise as they were claimed to have DNA from God the Father, could take upon the sins of the world nor rose from the dead.

<>

And you have the audacity to whine about MY grammar ???

Looks like quite a few people would disagree he rose from the dead.

A Buddhist would claim the buddha doesn't need to rise from the dead as he is reincarnated.

Nice stories one and all.

If you're religiously atheistic, like the starter of this poll, it's even more entertaining. :up:

Yes, but I am not. If it comes up in a conversation I just state that personally I don't believe in God. One old woman (Australian) in that situation starred at me wishing her stare would kill me, hissed and made a point of how ilk like me is going to destroy the earth. Other people weren't as extreme, but their reaction was similar. Though I don't deny the entertainment I find in that. ;)

I was very curious, coming to Montana, if I could ever dare to say I'm not in Church. But here at the University I found more non-religious people than religious. But then again, this whole city is a liberal island in the whole state, so things are different here.

But if you have chosen a particular spiritual path, yet you admit that none of us really know the truth, doesn't that make you inherently agnostic and merely hopeful that the spiritual path you have selected is the right one.....?

No, it makes me realistic. I have faith that the choice I made is the right one for various reasons, and I'm comfortable with that choice, but I have to leave open a possibility for error. Everyone does. Faith is faith; you take a chance on dedicating your life to something, and you find out in the end what it gained you.

You're as dogmatic in your atheism as any Christian here.
Another superficially appealing statement which on closer inspection becomes meaningless.

Dogmatic about what exactly and from where?

Not believing things in the absence of evidence, having skepticism towards supernatural claims, having the capacity to reevaluate ideas when new information comes to light are not bad traits. They aren't declared from authority or revelation and simply aren't equivalent to religious beliefs - accepting explanations which are constantly being revised and acknowledging areas where we are exceptionally ignorant isn't any more a leap of faith position than feeling safe when you fly on a plane.

My "atheism" is agnosticism, but with a confidence level of over 50:50, my "dogma" is trying not to believe on the basis of faith.

Yeah, because people die for Coca-Cola and give up centuries-old traditions for it, etc.

Right.

Think about it, A_Wanderer. Those who followed Christ saw him crucified on a cross among criminals. They saw him nearly beaten to death before that. They saw him give up his last breath. They saw their hope buried. They felt defeated.

Then, as the Gospel accounts tell us, they saw him again — alive. They saw him with his wounds. They saw him eat broiled fish (Nice detail included there.)

Nice post co, but you forgot the honeycomb part:

24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

Honeycomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

24:43 And he took [it], and did eat before them.

I think the reason why Christ ate in His immortal glorified ressurected state was not that He was hungry, but He knew if would be recorded-and later people couldn't dismiss it as "ghost" or "spiritual appariation" of Christ.

This would then nullify untrue hypotheses proposed by random atheists and other people on the internet 2000 years later.

:)

<>

Nice post co, but you forgot the honeycomb part:

24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

Honeycomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

24:43 And he took [it], and did eat before them.

I think the reason why Christ ate in His immortal glorified ressurected state was not that He was hungry, but He knew if would be recorded-and later people couldn't dismiss it as "ghost" or "spiritual appariation" of Christ.

This would then nullify untrue hypotheses proposed by random atheists and other people on the internet 2000 years later.

:)

<>

So if we get a written eye-witness report of a Yeti, Space Alien or Loch Ness Monster eating something it somehow carries more weight ??

:scratch:

When someone puts the resurrection on youtube I'll buy it, otherwise it's just possibly the greatest lie in history.

A_W, what exactly was this poll intended to measure? Just curious.

you don't seem absolutely certain.

<>

I have no doubts about the resurrection. I am 100% convinced it did NOT happen.

You were quoting me on the magnitude of the lie - I couldn't think of a bigger lie, hence the 'possibly', I'm open to hearing about a bigger one.

I'm certain that A_W was expecting option #3 to receive the overwhelming majority of votes, hence his puzzled reactions to the current results. 33-18 thus far.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have no doubts about the resurrection. I am 100% convinced it did NOT happen.

You were quoting me on the magnitude of the lie - I couldn't think of a bigger lie, hence the 'possibly', I'm open to hearing about a bigger one.

"Convinced" is not certiin.

We'll all find out soon enough for certain-I'm sure.

<>

Nobody can be absolutely certain, there is always the possibility - however remote - that a claim is true. That doesn't mean that we should take all claims as equally likely.

Then there is the possibility that Jesus was born of a virgin, was crucified then resurrected before ascending into the sky. If we grant all those as facts it doesn't prove he was the son of God or that his teachings are valid.

/Look at me being dogmatic for free inquiry and critical thinking :hyper:

Nobody can be absolutely certain, there is always the possibility - however remote - that a claim is true.

We can individually be 100% convinced we are right though. Essentially making the certainty factor a personal one.

Or you could boil it down to no vs. yes.

No - 35
Yes - 16

Indeed, which would validate my assumptions about this section of the forum, although I don't believe that's what A_W wanted to do, as the "Godless" remark was clearly ironic.

His opinion was that FYM is largely comprised of individuals who believe in some form of supernatural being, but are skeptical of the Bible's validity. He was essentially proven wrong. The majority either accept it fully or don't give a shit.

Back
Top Bottom