"All the world will denounce the SONY."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
James Franco and Seth Rogen are gonna start WWIII by accident

Honestly, the emails between Pascal and Rudin were fascinating. Hollywood really does function like everyone imagines it functions.

Also, weirdly, like DC.

Sent from

I like that North Korea pretends it isn't them...

THE Sony...I mean, come on...

Would be happy to sacrifice Rogen and Franco if it meant preventing WWIII.

They seriously cancelled the premiere over this?

"We won't succumb to terrorists! We'll never give in!"
"We're gonna do some nasty unspecified shit we have no power whatsoever to actually pull off, but take this as an extremely vague threat. Oh, and '9/11'!"
"Ok lol whatever you want, it's done"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This story is less about the Sony, N. Korea, Seth Rogan and really more about the day it became public knowledge that hackers can manipulate markets and corporations.

industry_assesses_amy_pascals_survivability_illo.jpg

Leader (dictator) of the Hermit Kingdom takes down powerful studio execs.

I am sure their days are numbered.

Will this story get a screenplay on the black list?

"All the world will denounce the SONY."

Once the threats are made, no matter how ridiculous, the cinema chains have a serious liability problem should *anything* go wrong, connected or not. They're also worried about people staying away from cinemas that are screening it, ie not turning up to see other stuff, not just The Interview.

I don't really feel like this is giving into terrorism so much as weighing the pros and cons. What's to lose here, if you don't show the movie? What's to gain if you do?

Once the threats are made, no matter how ridiculous, the cinema chains have a serious liability problem should *anything* go wrong, connected or not. They're also worried about people staying away from cinemas that are screening it, ie not turning up to see other stuff, not just The Interview.

I agree,
and the fact that no one at The Sony could have thought this through vs what little up side the movie might have had will making some money shows poor decision making
the leaked emails will make these people toxic, Seth Rogan's value has gone down, too.

Sony cancels Christmas Day release of 'The Interview'

Los Angeles Times | December 17, 2014 | 2:08 PM

Sony has canceled the Christmas Day release of "The Interview" after the major theater chains said they would not screen the film. The studio said "we respect and understand our partners' decision" and “completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theatergoers."

this was the original request (demand) of the guardians of peace

Overall, I think this group is pretty thoughtful of others though:

5.We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.
6.(If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)

And they even reviewed the movie:

2.Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.

I wonder if RaisedbyWolves has contacted them asking if they've actually watched the movie.

Are North Korean agents really in this country ready to pull off a Al Qaeda style operation?

I'd defect to the CIA once I realized the USA had so much freedom and better living conditions.

If anything the theater chains fear a hack more than an attack.

Also, as mentioned, if one nut job showed up and did some attack like what happened at The Dark Knight Arises in CO ...

Somewhere in Pyongyang, Kim Jong Un is beside himself with amazement that this actually worked.

I'm just worried that at the very least, this might cause a chilling bout of self-censorship at the studios, you know, stay away from certain subjects and issues, don't offend the large Chinese and "global" market. Even with B-grade comedies.

I for one find it very disturbing that just with a hacking campaign, a foreign country or group has the power now to get movies we make banned in our own country. I can see not having it shown in other countries, but not even here in our domestic markets? And instead of condemning N Korea for this, we're all squabbling amongst ourselves like tittering geese about the emails. Fine, then that gives the CIA the right to throw identical "hacking bombs" at other countries too. Why shouldn't we Americans live up to our current nasty rep, we can't just be the victims of this stuff all the time. I think the govt should get involved, IMO it' s becoming clearer that hacking bombs can do even more damage then actual ones. Fascinating subject for a grad thesis though.

Rogen did something incredibly stupid too. Why use N Korea and its leader by name in their film, esp. when they have such a wealth of knowledge about him being a crackpot. Did they not see something like this coming. Why not have a fictional country that is a dead ringer for N.Korea. Comedians have been doing this since Chaplin in The Great Dictator, and probably before.

That's what I don't understand. I don't understand why this was greenlit the way it was in the first place. I get that you don't want to censor yourself for the sake of comedic value, but at the same time, what difference did it make to lampoon something, rather than come right out and name it? Or does that take too much thought?

Exactly. I've been reading up on Mr. Kimmy and he's shaping up to be the looniest of the tunes "leading" N. Korea in a long time. What's going on right now over there is creepily fascinating. It's the end of the 3-yr mourning period for his father, Kim-Jong Il (?) and he's currently cementing his grip on power with a "Godfather"-like wave of targeted killings, including family who get in his way. this would be par for the course in N Korea dynastic struggles but he has now declined to invite China delegates to the funeral of his dad. That has not happened before. Which is signifigant b/c China has wanted to use N Korea as a buffer against against S Korea and other states less sympathetic to Western interests. The fear is that N Korea is pulling away from the more staid China and courting Putin, to make an anti-Chinese alliance. And it's not like China has been keeping its military quiet in that part of the world as of late?

All this should mean nothing for Hollywood, except that if the GfP was tied to Mr Kimmy, then he might actually want to go beyond a hacker attack.
As ludicrous as this sounds, I think Washington should be looking into the "Christmas present" threat, and security around Sony studios beefed up, if it hasn't been already.

Ah well. Enough of this subject for me. I'm too overjoyed at the NY fracking ban right now anyway--my friends are getting ready to go out and celebrate.

no one will ever see the movie

A studio spokesman added Wednesday that Sony won’t release “The Interview” in any form, including video on demand or DVD, the movie industry trade publication Variety reported.

With a budget of about $40 million, “The Interview” was predicted to earn around $30 million in its opening weekend. Sony also stands to lose tens of millions in marketing costs already incurred.

As a former soldier who served in South Korea, for once, i have to agree with North Korea on something.

This movie looked horrible. Well done, Lil Kim.

I think it's a real shame that it ended up coming to this, but yeah the trailers that I saw didn't look very funny. They could have done a better job with the idea from what I've seen (which is admittedly a very tiny amount of the film).

Back
Top Bottom