Alcohol Abuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find this bit interesting, saw it on the band "JAMES" website awhile back, its when they played Dublin a few years back. They were thinking about a show they did years ago in Dublin late 80's/early 90's...Good ole' Adam always loved the Champagne!
-----------------------Dublin Olympia Theatre
17th April 2007
Lovely old theatre, played here before a long time ago. Adam Clayton got rat-arsed on our champagne and had to be helped into a taxi and taken home.

Hmmmm, interesting. I thought he had quitted drinking, I must have made that up in my mind. I guess he drinks every now and then.

Eating Disorders and Genetics - Genetic Component to Eating Disorders

This is a tangent from the alcoholism topic, so I'm not inclined to bother with hunting down more properly scientific sources for those points, but there is quite a growing body of research in this area, and it's not at all controversial to suggest that genetic predispositions may play an important role in many eating disorder patients. Doesn't mean that any resulting neurochemical abnormalities are necessarily all that similar in nature, and anorexia and bulimia at least do seem 'culturally dependent' in the sense that growing up surrounded by idealized images of certain body types seems crucial somehow to the emergence of *those particular forms* of abnormal eating behavior as a medical phenomenon. But it simply isn't true that eating disorders don't run in families.

This is interesting, I haven't seen some of this. Most of what I've read states that you are often predisposed due to growing up around parents with unhealthy relationships with food, I hadn't seen any family studies where they didn't grow up around it yet still developed eating disorders... interesting.

Is there really any such thing as an alcoholic (non-sober) who doesn't have "mental issues"?

This is a very interesting question, one that has been the center of many studies. It's kind of like the chicken and egg question, which came first? I've seen some alcoholics that never seemed to have any of the outward signs of mental issues, in fact they were very good at hiding their alcoholism and even those closest to them never even knew. I've also seen those that were seemingly "normal" but started showing the outward signs of mental issues when they were drinking because it's a depressant and once they quit never showed an outward sign of a mental issue ever again. So :shrug: I don't know.

wow, this got moved to FYM... really?

Isee.jpg

Not to nitpick, but no one is ever a former alcoholic. It's a lifetime disease. Even if your 60 years sober, you're still a recovering alcoholic.

I agree because it's an addiction/disease just like eating disorders (I'm a recovering anorexic) where you're in recovery from it for the rest of your life.

is that depressing though? To say 'oh im alawyas recovering from it, i've not beaten it and free from it for life?' like if you're an alcoholic you can NEVER have another drink, because you'll knock the bottle from the waiter and scull the whole thing after tasting a drop?

I'd like to think that after you've gone through all the stages and have been dry for a while you could start have one glass of something here and there, back to a normality of life rather then forever denying yourself something. It just seems so depressing that way. :ohmy:

I agree! Whoever the hell wants to make excuses are lost themselves. You are never once an alcoholic. You are always!! So if Adam is allegedly drinking again, he's off the wagon BUT I highly doubt that. This is either bullshit or sad. Because if he's drinking, it's going to go downhill extremely fast.

Let's hope this is a sad rumour.

I didn't ever say I understood the disease, I just feel sorry for people who are alcoholics cause it doesn't seem to have a nice end to anything you know?
Like you can't live a life without making sure you have all the barriers and make sure not to trip up or touch a drop of alcohol and all of that *shrugs*

So if alcoholism and eating disorders are diseases and can evoke a level of sympathy for drinkers, anorexics and bulemics who need treatment not judgement, it's interesting that the same understanding and approach is not extended to compulsive overeaters who are obese. Particularly given how costly it's becoming for society.

Bono is fine but allegedly high level meetings are currently taking place with regard to 'the Adam problem'.

So if alcoholism and eating disorders are diseases and can evoke a level of sympathy for drinkers, anorexics and bulemics who need treatment not judgement, it's interesting that the same understanding and approach is not extended to compulsive overeaters who are obese.
Most obese people don't have compulsive overeating disorder; that's binge eating without purging, which is something quite specific. I would imagine it's probably true that an exceptionally high percentage of morbidly obese people have compulsive overeating disorder, just as it's probably true that an exceptionally high percentage of emaciated people are anorexic. But you can't actually tell if someone has an eating disorder just by looking at them. There certainly are 12-step groups, therapy programs and so on specifically for compulsive overeating disorder, so it's not the case that medically appropriate treatment isn't available. But as with the other conditions you mentioned, and at least if you're an adult, then in most cases treatment isn't going to happen unless you acknowledge you have that specific problem and are ready to accept help for it.

^ It wasn't me who moved the thread, but I assume the thinking was that it had become a much broader thread, more about alcoholism and addictions in general than about EYKIW stuff. :shrug: A judgment call, like many thread moves, but fine with me.
While everything you just mentioned is probably true, none of it acknowledged the point of my post.
OK...I took your main point to be that compulsive overeating isn't widely recognized as an eating disorder, which I disagree with (it is true that it currently lacks its own specific DSM-IV category, but my understanding is they're working on that). If you meant to suggest that all significantly overweight or obese people ought to be classified as having an eating disorder, I certainly don't agree with that, and I don't think there's any support for it.

Maybe it's the inclusion of alcoholism in your analogy that's throwing me off. Are you talking about the fact that there's a social stigma associated with being noticeably overweight, which as I acknowledged earlier has nothing to do with concerns for anyone's health, and if so, how are you suggesting that be reflected in medical 'approaches' to overweight and obesity in general?

Last edited:
is that depressing though? To say 'oh im alawyas recovering from it, i've not beaten it and free from it for life?' like if you're an alcoholic you can NEVER have another drink, because you'll knock the bottle from the waiter and scull the whole thing after tasting a drop?

I'd like to think that after you've gone through all the stages and have been dry for a while you could start have one glass of something here and there, back to a normality of life rather then forever denying yourself something. It just seems so depressing that way. :ohmy:

It's only alcohol :shrug:
You don't think people who have been recently diagnosed with diabetes don't miss eating sugar? It's a struggle, but either you eat sugar and risk your health or you be responsible to prolong your life. Same applies with alcohol.

Maybe it's the inclusion of alcoholism in your analogy that's throwing me off. Are you talking about the fact that there's a social stigma associated with being noticeably overweight, which as I acknowledged earlier has nothing to do with concerns for anyone's health, and if so, how are you suggesting that be reflected in medical 'approaches' to overweight and obesity in general?

Yes, I was alluding more to the social stigma of obesity which may (or may not?) interfere with some true medical solutions to the epidemic rather than just a bazillion dollar diet industry that profits from people struggling with the problem, not fixing it.

It's come up recently in other threads as a problem that has a simple solution (eat well, exercise) but after reading this thread about addiction as a disease, I'm gathering that it's just as complicated and not necessarily helpful to tell a compulsive eater to just stop eating as it would be to tell an anorexic to just eat a sandwich or an alcoholic to just quit drinking.

Clearly those with problems have to acknowledge them and do whatever it takes to deal with their health issues. Easier said than done I guess, but blame and shame probably just make it worse.

It's only alcohol :shrug:
You don't think people who have been recently diagnosed with diabetes don't miss eating sugar? It's a struggle, but either you eat sugar and risk your health or you be responsible to prolong your life. Same applies with alcohol.

Diabetics can't and don't avoid sugar, actually. It's impossible. It's in most food, even milk and fruit has sugar, as you know! It has to be counted and accounted for with insulin doses, is all.
:)

Back
Top Bottom