Afterlife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina Filangie

The Fly
I would love to hear your thoughts on whether or not you think there is an afterlife. I lost someone very dear to me and have been trying to find some peace. I'm not a religous person, I fall squarely in the not sure category when it comes to God, heaven, etc.

I'm a Christian and believe there is life after death. I'm not sure
what else to say at the moment. I don't want you to think I'm getting
preachy. Sorry about your loss.

There is a book, I like, on the subject giving the Biblical
view by Randy Alcorn titled Heaven.

You said you were not religious, but if you are interested in
a Christian answer, it is a good book.

http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Randy-Alcorn/dp/0842379428

I don't think so.

What exactly moves on? Your thoughts? Conscious? If thats what we think, what is keeping it from moving on right now? There are explanations for "out of body experiences" so that's not it.

For those that have heard stories of people have visions, how is that different than a dream?

We are all made of atoms, when we die our atoms are returned to the cosmos. Some of those atoms will set off into regions we have never seen, others will be reused to form a new objects/life.

I couldn't think of anything more beautiful and reason enough to make this life even more meaningful.

If there is life after death (so silly to even say it), what is the point of this life? Is the next life more important? Is there life after that one??

The best answer is "unlikely", and that's because we are still discovering more and more about our realm and ourselves. But until there's even a shred of evidence, enjoy this life.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't think there is, but I'll never know for sure. It's the same to me as god or santa, if you believe in it, it exists for you. But that does not mean it exists for everyone. If it gives you peace of mind to believe in such a thing as the afterlife, by all means do so. :)

I don't know if there is, so I try to make the best of this life here.

If there is a heaven, I hope to see all my doggies up there.

I don't think there is, but I'll never know for sure. It's the same to me as god or santa, if you believe in it, it exists for you. But that does not mean it exists for everyone. If it gives you peace of mind to believe in such a thing as the afterlife, by all means do so. :)

Well, if it does exist, wouldn't you eventually know fore sure? :wink:

I would love to hear your thoughts on whether or not you think there is an afterlife. I lost someone very dear to me and have been trying to find some peace. I'm not a religous person, I fall squarely in the not sure category when it comes to God, heaven, etc.

Regina-

There definitely is.
:)

I've met so many people who've pierced the veil by having NDEs experiences, and came back to tell all about it.

These are not whackos who live in a van down by the river, but sensible educated people, with professions, so on and so forth.

I have one such friend, Jeff Olsen. His book is found here, on Amazon, it has great reviews:

I Knew Their Hearts: The Amazing True Story of a Journey Beyond the Veil to Learn the Silent Language of the Heart: Jeff Olsen, Lee Nelson: 9781599559865: Amazon.com: Books

Also, go see or rent: Heaven is For Real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ewaCVARtM

One last piece of advice, don't listen to any naysayers, who will pounce and pile on in this tread, or in life. Find out for yourself, Truth is available for all who seek it.

<>

Also, go see or rent: Heaven is For Real:

Truth is available for all who seek it.

At a price, of course.

Sorry to be so cynical about it.

I feel the same way about proselytizing antitheists.

At a price, of course.

Sorry to be so cynical about it.

I feel the same way about proselytizing antitheists.

I can understand your cynicism.
There are a lot of hucksters out there.
I do know of some authors that take their proceeds and donate it all to the poor.

I think that's the best recourse.

<>

My grandfather passed away a week and a half ago and this is a question I've been greatly struggling with. I'm struggling to figure out just what religious beliefs I believe in, I consider myself nominally Christian, but I'm moving towards atheism. I just wish I knew whether he was still around in the afterlife if there is one, or if he's just gone.

My grandfather passed away a week and a half ago and this is a question I've been greatly struggling with. I'm struggling to figure out just what religious beliefs I believe in, I consider myself nominally Christian, but I'm moving towards atheism. I just wish I knew whether he was still around in the afterlife if there is one, or if he's just gone.

This sums up exactly how I feel. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

I don't believe there is an afterlife, as I am an atheist.

But when my grandmother was on her death bed, I had an incredible conversation with her. Personally, I am petrified of dying. And I asked her, "aren't you afraid?" And she simply smiled at me, and she said "no, because I know I am going to be reunited with Pa Pa." Pa had died three years earlier and Nan had never been the same since. She 110% believed that her death would mean she was finally going to be reunited with the man to whom she was married for six decades. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard, and it's why I would never admonish someone for believing :)

unless of course they're a cunt about their belief and think they can say who can and can't get married.

One of the nicer things about the end of my grandmother's life was that she was so very OK with it whenever it was her time to go. Like your situation, my grandfather had preceded her in death, but by about 12 years. They were married for a very long time, not sure exactly how long, but I'd think somewhere around 50 years (I don't recall us having a 50th anniversary shindig, so I think he passed away just short of that). But, yeah, whenever something was wrong with her, she'd always tell us not to worry, because she was (besides being ready to meet Jesus) looking forward to seeing my grandfather again. She was very lonely for those 12 years without him, even though she was always surrounded by friends and family. It was nice, to me, that she had something to be so positive about, despite losing her life's long best friend.

But when my grandmother was on her death bed, I had an incredible conversation with her. Personally, I am petrified of dying. And I asked her, "aren't you afraid?" And she simply smiled at me, and she said "no, because I know I am going to be reunited with Pa Pa." Pa had died three years earlier and Nan had never been the same since. She 110% believed that her death would mean she was finally going to be reunited with the man to whom she was married for six decades. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard, and it's why I would never admonish someone for believing :)

My grandmother is a devout Catholic and one of the main things that's keeping her going is the belief that she'll see my Papa again. He died so suddenly and without warning that she didn't really get to say goodbye, she just went to sleep with him like any other night. I'm so happy that she has that hope and I definitely think one of the pluses of believing in the afterlife is a sense of hope that you'll one day see the people you love again.

If it makes people at ease, cool. If it makes people put out conditions to get into for their own personal gain (while living) then it's an issue.

Most of us are scared of death. In fact it's what most likely created these myths in the first place. When we became aware of our own mortality, how terrifying to know that you, everyone you know, EVERYONE will die. Makes sense to calm the anxiety by creating another life to move on to.

As for the NDE or "heaven is real"..there are plenty of scientific articles and scientists who can explain them.

There is no conspiracy to hide the "truth". Don't you think if someone did prove heaven was real, It would be the single greatest discovery of mankind?

Instead it's a book tour and potential movie script. There just isn't any evidence. Circumstantial or anecdotal doesn't count. They are nice stories (most of the time) and again if it does give someone some peace, good for them.

Atheist here... there is no afterlife

Atheist here... there is no afterlife

Like all matters of faith (questions like is there a God), it's impossible to prove whether or not there is an afterlife. If people want to believe there is one, good. If people don't want to believe there is one, good. But it's scientifically impossible to prove.

The existence of Santa is scientifically impossible to prove....or fairies....but we don't live our lives with the chance THEY might. We're pretty certain it's made up.

Same with an afterlife. We all managed to cope with finding out about Santa, we can cope with death too

I consider myself agnostic but I can see the possibility of something beyond the death of our physical bodies. I do think there is a chance that ghosts exist, which would support some kind of an afterlife. I don't put much faith in NDEs because I think it's quite possibly just the brain's reaction to a medical trauma. My dad died from complications of a very minor outpatient surgery. I remember visiting
with him the day before and being bothered by the thought that I was never going to see him again, even though there was no reason to think that. Unfortunately, I was right and I've always been haunted by this. I was very close to my dad and still have very vivid dreams about him, as if he was still with me. I may be naive, but it brings me peace.

Last edited:
The existence of Santa is scientifically impossible to prove....or fairies....but we don't live our lives with the chance THEY might. We're pretty certain it's made up.

Same with an afterlife. We all managed to cope with finding out about Santa, we can cope with death too

Santa and fairies are completely different than an afterlife. Santa and fairies are worldly phenomena that we know are myths. It's possible to prove that there isn't a Santa and that there aren't fairies. Science can disprove the existence of fairies and Santa, just as science can disprove things like ghosts and Bigfoot. The afterlife is something different, it's something that isn't scientifically possible to prove or disprove.

Back
Top Bottom