Abortion Parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is one woman's choice to "celebrate" her abortion disturbing to you? Maybe it is worthy of celebration in her view, and there's nothing wrong with that. Would it make you feel better if she'd suffered for her decision? Was she not sufficiently repentant for your liking?

No, it would not make me feel better if she was suffering, with tears rolling down her face. As I said, I am pro-choice, so she doesn't need to be "repentant" for my liking.

I just see abortion as sad, unfortunate decision to make. Some women who get abortions do so because they are too young, or don't have the money to raise a child. So when they choose to terminate the pregnancy, personally, I think that is sad, because an abortion really is the termination of a pregnancy - which ends the making of a life, even if it is a bunch of cells at that point. So, for a woman to throw a party with people dancing around to party music, all because she is going through a procedure that can be emotionally tolling for me, is disturbing to me. Throwing a party for an abortion, is like, "Yay! She's going to have the fetus suctioned right out of her! Hooray!"

I see nothing wrong with collecting money to pay for the abortion, btw. But throwing a celebration is bit much.

A few years ago, I was horrified to hear an anti-abortion ad on a fairly large rock radio station in this area that directly linked abortion with increased suicide. I contacted the station manager and requested that he pull the ad. In our communications over several days, he first refused to. Subsequently, I explained to him that his station ought to feel responsibility for spreading false information to its listeners, particularly ones as vulnerable as those who are experiencing unwanted pregnancies. I suggested he challenge the organization to provide proof that abortion does in fact cause an increase in suicides, and explained to him what to look for as far as reputable sources go, as opposed to anti-abortion group propaganda. He said he'd get back to me, then within a day or two, he contacted me to let me know they were unable to come up with anything, and as a result, the ad was being pulled. I hope I was able to prevent at least one girl or woman from feeling emotionally bullied by the spread of false information.

:up: For fighting bullshit.

No, it would not make me feel better if she was suffering, with tears rolling down her face. As I said, I am pro-choice, so she doesn't need to be "repentant" for my liking.

I just see abortion as sad, unfortunate decision to make. Some women who get abortions do so because they are too young, or don't have the money to raise a child. So when they choose to terminate the pregnancy, personally, I think that is sad, because an abortion really is the termination of a pregnancy - which ends the making of a life, even if it is a bunch of cells at that point. So, for a woman to throw a party with people dancing around to party music, all because she is going through a procedure that can be emotionally tolling for me, is disturbing to me. Throwing a party for an abortion, is like, "Yay! She's going to have the fetus suctioned right out of her! Hooray!"

I see nothing wrong with collecting money to pay for the abortion, btw. But throwing a celebration is bit much.

It's sad to you, but she obviously didn't feel that way - or maybe she did, and that was just her way of coping. Whatever the case, I'm not comfortable sitting in judgment of someone for the way they choose to react to a situation like this. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks BonosSaint, I was very happy with the result.

You've neatly avoiding mentioning problems with depression, etc, that many women have to deal with after abortions.

there's postpartum depression as well.

i think you mean to ask: aren't there consequences when heterosexuals choose to have unprotected sex?

If an abortion is a cause for relief or celebration in a particular woman's life, there are probably better ways of celebrating. Throwing a party with booze and makeshift wombs? :der: Odd and in poor taste. Obviously we can't stop anyone from coping in their own personal way, but they can't stop us from seeing it as such. It's the ending of a life or cluster of cells that potentially are life, which is generally a cause for at least some degree of somber respect. I'd point out the idea of divorce parties for comparison. They're usually a positive, fun way of celebrating a likely sad ending to something, but there are no lives being terminated in the process, just lives moving forward.

There are surely more tasteful ways to support a woman who's dealing with having an abortion, though I doubt these parties are or will ever be the norm anyway. It seems abortion will always be a heavy issue for most women who make that choice. I do have to say, I have one friend who I'm quite sure would throw one of these parties if she ever had an abortion. She's absolutely set against having children and has absolutely no emotional attachment to the idea of a pregnancy. We've had a few discussions on the issue. We're completely opposite in our views, but we respect each other's views, nonetheless. I'd be interested in her opinion on this article..

Anyway, I don't think this is a pro-choice/pro-life issue necessarily, just a matter of personal opinion.

On Facebook, Glamour magazine has a link to an article that discusses it becoming the norm for women planning to have an abortion through a party ahead of it. I found a link to the story, and here it is:

My First Abortion Party | Reproductive Justice and Gender | AlterNet

Although the article -written by a guy - mostly discusses a guy's role in an abortion, I posted this because I am shocked that abortion parties actually exist. While I do support a woman's right to choose, throwing a party sounds disturbing to me. Why not just simply ask money from friends, and get it done - not basically celebrate something that, I believe, is a sad thing to go through.

What do you think?

I agree with you.

I think so too....

there's postpartum depression as well.

Point.

I wouldn't personally abort a baby (unless it was destined to die anyway), but I do know people who have experienced such terrible postpartum depression that they simply couldn't have as many kids as they wanted, and even one coupled with such horrific pregnancies that a very early abortion would be considered.

But I agree with Kaf, it's not really a pro-life/choice issue. It's just plain weird.

"The norm"??? I've never heard of such a thing until this thread.

Me either. Having worked at an OB/GYN clinic. The women seeking medical treatment to terminate a pregnancy, were not in a festive mood. They would have council with a therapist to make sure, it was the right decision for them. Then, if the following day, there was any doubt. The procedure would not be performed by the doctor.

We really have gone to hell.

:down:

Maybe-but honestly it's not Glamour Magazine articles about abortion parties that make me feel that way. It's other things.

No offense Pearl. But I think Glamour tends to run out of things to write about.

Abortion must be a wrenching decision for most women, and men if they're involved in it. I hardly think that most women (or men) would ever do such a thing. But it gives some people something to hang their hats on, so to speak.

Maybe-but honestly it's not Glamour Magazine articles about abortion parties that make me feel that way. It's other things.
If that's the case, I can't say anyone who is only "morally opposed" to abortion and calls themselves "personally pro-life" takes the issue very seriously.

If my daughter would ever attend one of these, I will know that I have utterly failed as a father.

If my daughter would ever attend one of these, I will know that I have utterly failed as a father.

what if your daughter turns to you in 20 years and says, "Mac, i've really thought about the issue, and i am convinced that i support a woman's right to choose. i've done the research, i've talked with both sides, and my experience in life tells me that you've been wrong about this your whole life. my friend is throwing a party, and i'm going to go to support her because i love my friend and i support her choice."

still a failure?

what if your daughter turns to you in 20 years and says, "Mac, i've really thought about the issue, and i am convinced that i support a woman's right to choose. i've done the research, i've talked with both sides, and my experience in life tells me that you've been wrong about this your whole life. my friend is throwing a party, and i'm going to go to support her because i love my friend and i support her choice."

still a failure?
On a certain level.

I don't think you can take ALL THE CREDIT for a successful child.
I don't think you can take ALL THE CREDIT for a misguided child.

The most you can do is raise them according to the dictates of your own conscience, and hopefully, it makes a difference.

If that's the case, I can't say anyone who is only "morally opposed" to abortion and calls themselves "personally pro-life" takes the issue very seriously.

Is that directed at me?

I do take it very seriously. I just don't take Glamour Magazine very seriously. That was the point-that other things going on in the world disturb me much more than Glamour Magazine making an issue out of this. Honestly I didn't read the article because I didn't have time. But I will read it. I do look at the magazine and even buy it once in a while for interest in beauty and fashion and maybe something on the cover that gets my attention. Just like all of those other magazines.

But please don't imply that I don't take abortion seriously.

Is that directed at me?

I do take it very seriously. I just don't take Glamour Magazine very seriously. That was the point-that other things going on in the world disturb me much more than Glamour Magazine making an issue out of this. Honestly I didn't read the article because I didn't have time. But I will read it. I do look at the magazine and even buy it once in a while for interest in beauty and fashion and maybe something on the cover that gets my attention. Just like all of those other magazines.

But please don't imply that I don't take abortion seriously.
If you do, then I really don't know what to make of it. (Point taken about Glamour Magazine, though)

Here's a comment in response from the link:

this was weird
[Report this comment] Posted by: bobson on Jul 7, 2009 1:41 AM
Current rating: 3 [1 = poor; 5 = excellent]
I mean, I'm pro choice and all but gathering to celebrate the killing off of a fetus is pretty f'in morbid and callous.
Should such a decisions not be carried out with the utmost seriousness and respect to the life that is about to be extinguished?
"Not about to" have a baby because she is 22 and just doesn't want to ruin her fun time is why the pro choice movement has so much trouble. This is abusing that right to choose, and the party, and the other girls wanting to exclude and resenting the boyfriend, this is some seriously cold shit and it offers a new glimpse into the downright darkness that resides in the female soul. This is some stone age pagan shit right here, can't believe it is happening in 2009!

As Winston Churchill said, "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

If you do, then I really don't know what to make of it

:eyebrow: Maybe you should just come out and say what you mean instead of being so obtuse

The "downright darkness that exists in the female soul"? Wow, such a statement derived from a Glamour Magazine article. I'm off to read GQ to discover the downright darkness that exists in the male soul.

That's the "truth"? If that's the truth I hate to see a lie.

:eyebrow: Maybe you should just come out and say what you mean instead of being so obtuse
Sure...

What do you suggest the state of Massachussetts do to reduce the number of abortions, which amount to some 1.3 million a year in the United States? Since that is the rhetoric of pro-choice advocates, so to speak.

The "downright darkness that exists in the female soul"? Wow, such a statement derived from a Glamour Magazine article. I'm off to read GQ to discover the downright darkness that exists in the male soul.
We all have our dark sides. There's a dark side to the male that approves and encourages this atrocity. They don't want to take responsibility for knocking up a woman.

That's the "truth"? If that's the truth I hate to see a lie.
The truth is that this poster obviously knows it's morally repugnant for these "abortion parties" to be the new baby showers. he also talked about "respect for life." 1.3 million abortions in America, and a party on top of it finally amounts to "abusing the 'right to choose.'" Surely, there's more under the surface than a simply tasteless excuse for a party.

Back
Top Bottom