50% of Men Would Dump Girlfriend for Getting Fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I, in turn, was responding to another person entirely. You substantially truncated my full quote however. Substantially. As in, completely amputated it of meaning.

And I fail to see what was wrong with anything I said.

Kieran was referring to me.

That's debatable, to say the least. Depending on what you mean by 'thin' and 'young', it would strike me as a sign of anything but healthy self esteem.

Of course, some people go overboard with cosmetic surgery and such. But I really think if you respect yourself, you wouldn't put yourself in position where you would develop diabetes, heart disease and other problems. And a good partner wouldn't want that from you either.

And people are supposed to want this, which is apparently essential to win the approval of others, in and of themselves and not for others' sake?

There's plenty of people - particularly women - who want to be thin for their sake. Not all women are slaves to their partners' approval.

To me, good grooming, and trying your best to be thin and look young is a sign of healthy self-esteem and a good mind set. Everyone - male and female - wants that in a partner.

Sorry, but it's just flat out incorrect to say everyone wants their partner to be thin.

The obsession with thinness in the West is basically just a cultural thing, no more, no less. Nigerian women specifically try to develop curved figures as this is viewed as more appealing in a partner. In Samoa, slimness is generally viewed as unattractive - for both genders.

Indeed, historically, even in the West, being of large girth was by and large viewed as an attractive quality as it was associated with prosperity.

Of course, I am not disputing that being significantly overweight is associated with all sorts of health difficulties, but then again, so is being significantly underweight.

There's plenty of people - particularly women - who want to be thin for their sake. Not all women are slaves to their partners' approval.

Well, if you substituted the word 'thin' for 'slim', fine, few would disagree. But your use of the word 'thin' is a trifle, frankly, troubling to me, because I would generally associate that word with being underweight. I think that if women are trying to be thin because of some media/advertising construct, that's actually worse than if they're doing so for their partners.

Well, if you substituted the word 'thin' for 'slim', fine, few would disagree. But your use of the word 'thin' is a trifle, frankly, troubling to me, because I would generally associate that word with being underweight. I think that if women are trying to be thin because of some media/advertising construct, that's actually worse than if they're doing so for their partners.

When I say "thin", I do mean "slim". I'm not talking about near anorexia here. Perhaps its a cultural thing between Ireland and the U.S. because I rarely hear the term "slim".

Must be. To me, slim/thin = normal. Look at good athletes (not the ones doping or muscle bound from steroids), they are what I consider slim, thin, trim, whatever word you want to use for not an excess of body fat.

Pearl said:
When I say "thin", I do mean "slim". I'm not talking about near anorexia here. Perhaps its a cultural thing between Ireland and the U.S. because I rarely hear the term "slim".

Liesje said:
Must be. To me, slim/thin = normal. Look at good athletes (not the ones doping or muscle bound from steroids), they are what I consider slim, thin, trim, whatever word you want to use for not an excess of body fat.

Look, here's how I see it.

Weird ugly thin little troll women here:

Elizabeth Olsen joins Mary-Kate and Ashley for launch of new handbag line - but will anyone buy their $39,000 backpack? | Mail Online

Attractive normally shaped women here:

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com.au/inside-the-campaign/celebrate-those-curves.asp

Simple as.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :shrug:

Ideally, I would like to have the body of Heidi Klum or Adriana Lima - thin with curves!

Neither is the ideal for me; both lack the level of muscle tone I look for in myself. The Olson twins look emaciated, not slim.

The level of 'slim/thin/skinny/whatever' that most of the celebrity pin ups of what (apparently) women aspire to these days is generally very unattractive in person. Way too skinny. The camera does add weight, but what those girls/women look like in real life is often pretty shocking. Very few exceptions.

Not someone I've seen or met, but current cultural flashpoint girl who I think is really, really, really unattractive? Kate Middleton. Too skinny to begin with, but made way worse by obvious pre-wedding weight loss. She at least used to have a cute face.

Not someone I've seen or met, but current cultural flashpoint girl who I think is really, really, really unattractive? Kate Middleton. Too skinny to begin with, but made way worse by obvious pre-wedding weight loss. She at least used to have a cute face.

Yes!

I think Kate Middleton is so pretty, but yes..far too much weight loss. There's even a thing now called brideorexia, maybe she had (s) it. Supposedly she wants to get down to where the sample sizes designers send her fit her perfectly.

I think she's around 5'9" and weighs about 110 if even that

And I want Halle Berry's body (even better before she lost some weight, like when she came out of the water in the Bond movie in that bikini, wow)-that would be my ideal. And her face, my ideal face too.

One of the best looking guys I've ever seen in my life was a bald guy at a gas station several years ago. He was literally breathtaking. Like mind blowingly handsome.

So no-and see also Matt Damon the way he looks bald

And if you love someone and you leave them just because they go bald, it doesn't speak very highly of you.

Back
Top Bottom