4th of July quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
32/33

The Public Goods question threw me. Apparently "directly" is doing a lot of work in the correct answer.

My score: 90.91%

No cheating!

31/33 - 93.94%

A bit of an unfair advantage as this seems like a test pretty much tailor-made for anyone who has taken basic US constitutional law. I probably would have gotten a good 3-4 more questions wrong since I didn't have a US education. Then again maybe it helps that I didn't. ;)

I'm amazed I scored so high. I have never made a particular study of the subject. The US constitution is not studied in Irish secondary schools and the small amount of law I studied at college, many years ago, dealt with US constitutional law only in passing. I can only assume I absorbed a lot of knowledge by a process of osmosis from reading all those FYM threads.

civquiz.png

If you click on that score table it mentions this,
Among the 2,508 respondents, 164 say they have been elected to a government office at least once. This sub-sample of officeholders yields a startling result: elected officials score lower than the general public. Those who have held elective office earn an average score of 44% on the civic literacy test, which is five percentage points lower than the average score of 49% for those who have never been elected. It would be most interesting to explore whether this statistically significant result is maintained across larger samples of elected officials.

...In each of the following areas, for example, officeholders do more poorly than non-officeholders:

•Seventy-nine percent of those who have been elected to government office do not know the Bill of Rights expressly prohibits establishing an official religion for the U.S.
•Thirty percent do not know that “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” are the inalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence.
•Twenty-seven percent cannot name even one right or freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment.
•Forty-three percent do not know what the Electoral College does. One in five thinks it either “trains those aspiring for higher political office” or “was established to supervise the first televised presidential debates.”
•Fifty-four percent do not know the Constitution gives Congress the power to declare war. Thirty-nine percent think that power belongs to the president, and 10% think it belongs to the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
•Only 32% can properly define the free enterprise system, and only 41% can identify business profit as “revenue minus expenses.”

30/33

I didn't like the way two of the economic questions were worded and I flipped a coin between two of the Socrates and Plato answers.

:shrug:

Results

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

(my dog was barking at me because it was walk time, that's my excuse for missing two)

I could say something snippy, like
the better informed posters, tend to give the better responses

84 and change. I suck in this company. However, I am almost twice as knowledgeable as the people who make the decisions for me.:up::huh:

31/33. 93.94%

The questions that got me were about government taxes equaling government spending and the one about the fiscal policy the U.S. government has followed during a recession.

I'm surprised that the average score was so low. Most of the questions were not that difficult.

:up::up::up:
I'm impressed with anything more than 50 percent, especially if you are not a citizen. Several of the questions have little nuances in them that I think would trip up anyone who has had it hammered into them.

(My wife got 25/33, but she marked the wrong circle on one of them. I believe her. :D )

a lot of it seems to be more basic economics than constitutional history. the ones i got wrong were economic rather than history based.

31/33. 93.94%

The questions that got me were about government taxes equaling government spending and the one about the fiscal policy the U.S. government has followed during a recession.

I'm surprised that the average score was so low. Most of the questions were not that difficult.

Same score, missed Anti-Federalist and levee question.

^Hey, INDY, how'd you like the show? I kept looking around for "conservative-looking" guys, wondering. . .could that be INDY500? :wink: :)

^Hey, INDY, how'd you like the show? I kept looking around for "conservative-looking" guys, wondering. . .could that be INDY500? :wink: :)

Did ya see the guy lecturing the folks at the Amnesty International booth on American Exceptionalism? :wink:

Didn't get One Tree Hill in 1987 but I've heard it now. I read your review and we agree 100% :applaud:

Did ya see the guy lecturing the folks at the Amnesty International booth on American Exceptionalism? :wink:

Of course! :lol:

Didn't get One Tree Hill in 1987 but I've heard it now. I read your review and we agree 100% :applaud:

Thanks! It's slowly dawning on me what a treat that was. I had no idea the song was so rare. The version I heard in Japan which I got a bootleg of is my favorite version of that song--even better than real thing (pun intended).

Well, back to business. . . :)

I am sure you are not alone. (the others just didn't fess up)

America has some convoluted concepts that many would not be familiar with,
without living here.

I am sure I would not do so well on an Aussie or Kiwi quiz.

You answered 22 out of 33 correctly — 66.67 %

and five of those that i got wrong were ones i originally had the right answer checked, and went back and changed it. fail.

Ugh. If there is one thing that I learned as student, it was not to go back and change answers. More often than not the changes haunted me more than the originals would have. I missed being a National Merit Scholar because I changed an answer. :banghead:

Ugh. If there is one thing that I learned as student, it was not to go back and change answers. More often than not the changes haunted me more than the originals would have. I missed being a National Merit Scholar because I changed an answer. :banghead:
oh, fuck. that's awful. don't even get me started on changing answers. a bastard to me throughout high school. the best thing about university was pretty much every exam i took needed essay answers, so changing something wasn't really an option.

Back
Top Bottom