2015 Canadian Federal Election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
Well, Stephen Harper has once again decided to say "fuck you" to the Canadian taxpayer and start the election campaign a full six weeks early. Instead of the usual month or so of relentlessly stupid attack ads and bullshit platitudes we normally get, this time around we get two and a half months.

This is the first time in recent memory in Canada that all three major parties have a legit shot at winning. The Liberals had it in the bag about six months ago but mis-steps (Bill C-51, Eve Adams, etc) have seen much of that support shift to the NDP.

Who's gonna win?

I predict a bare NDP minority, with the Liberals doing better than last time (that's a bold prediction) and working with the NDP. I also predict that the NDP government won't last the full term, although I won't venture a guess as to how that will turn out afterwards.

Whatever happens, please launch Harper into the sun on behalf of everyone.

My riding is in downtown Toronto, Spadina-Fort York. It's going to be a battleground between Olivia Chow and Adam Vaughan. I will ultimately vote for whichever one's party appears to have the best chance of booting the Conservatives - I'd prefer the NDP, but priority one is getting rid of Harper.

I know this isn't really the case (checked Wikipedia) but it feels like Harper has long been approaching Mugabe/Putin lengths of tenure.

Instead of the usual month or so of relentlessly stupid attack ads and bullshit platitudes we normally get, this time around we get two and a half months.

Ugh those annoying "Justin Trudeau; he's just not ready" adds have been running for weeks even before the election was called.

I may vote Liberal primarily because of how much I hate those stupid adds :angry:

:wave: hey Maple Leafers!

Just Wiki'd Canadian Major Federal Parties so i could see what's up. I thought a conservative government was in charge right now. I see i was right . But didn't know what the difference between Liberal & NDP is. And a slew of other parties as well.

Good Luck! i'll try to remember to stop by. No net @home. So limited time on here etc

Tomorrow is the big day. Finally. Not sure how Americans do it. This was a 78-day campaign, longest in Canadian history, and I didn't really pay attention until a couple of weeks ago.

Looks certain to be a minority, likely Liberal, but you never really know. Hopefully it's Stephen Harper's last day.

I really don't know how Americans do it - I am sick to death of all the ads and it was only 78 days of them.

For me this election is a bit of a "hold your nose and go vote" - I'm voting against Harper more than for the Liberals and I very much wish I could vote for Tom Mulcair because I think he's the sharpest one of them all. Alas I am in one of those split ridings where the conservative got elected with 39% of the vote last time while the Liberals and NDP accounted for about 59% so strategic voting it is. I also have to say I have never before voted so blatantly against my own economic self-interest. Aside from Trudeau raising taxes on us, we have to give up the (albeit silly) baby bonus on the baby I'm having in a week, and can't use income splitting during the year of mat leave. But Harper must go.

Lots of people are voting against their economic self interest and for the greater good.

Yes, although for 90% of people, a vote for the Liberals is a no-brainer in terms of the positive effects it will have on their wallet.

Most people I think don't know that the Liberal economic platform was penned by Larry Summers. Whom I can't stand, but he does continue to carry weight with economic conservatives.

Yes, although for 90% of people, a vote for the Liberals is a no-brainer in terms of the positive effects it will have on their wallet.

Most people I think don't know that the Liberal economic platform was penned by Larry Summers. Whom I can't stand, but he does continue to carry weight with economic conservatives.

P.S. Congrats on the baby!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

P.S. Congrats on the baby!

Thanks! A bit of a funny story (to a geek like me) is that we are having a boy and had the hardest time coming up with a first name. Wanted something that is cute on a baby but also a serious adult name. So we kept asking ourselves "can you imagine a Prime Minister X"? and that became a threshold. For example, I just can't envision a Prime Minister Tristan. So we are going with a very, very classic name that fits the mold. And yet now it looks like we'll have PM Justin. Ha!

Question for our Canadians, as someone who hasn't been following Canadian politics as closely as I should have been: would this have been the result a year and a half ago, when oil was still strong?

My interpretation of the Harper years is essentially as the Rise and Fall of the Canadian Petrostate, and I'm wondering how accurate that is. I know that the collapse of oil has hurt the Canadian economy, especially out west. Did that help to drive Harper out in a substantial way?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I would say yes and no, it certainly didn't help his cause but the majority of seats the Liberals won were in Ontario, Quebec and the Eastern provinces which are not as tied to oil production as the west where the Conservatives still maintain the balance of power.

Back
Top Bottom