2012 Presidential Debates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda,” he told the editorial board of The Des Moines Register.

Apparently you're unfamiliar with your own platform, then. Here's what Romney's campaign spokesman had to say as a follow up:

“Governor Romney would of course support legislation aimed at providing greater protections for life.”

Here's another chestnut from Romney:

"Pre-existing conditions are covered under my plan."

Except they're not. Cue campaign spokesman again:
"We will give the state initiatives and money so that they can manage these decisions on their own. But, of course, we'd like them to see them continue that pre-existing band for those who have continuous coverage."

And as we all know, preferring something would happen is pretty much as good as law in this country, right?

The ease and frequency of Romney's lies is something to behold. And oddly enough, none of his supporters seem to mind the staggering inconsistency and deception.So yeah, he might be trying to distance himself from some of his more extreme positions, but he's not actually changing any of them.

Last edited:
the man is on a 'mission'

that mission has 27 days to go, win a few toss up states

success of mission? improving daily.

no toss up states map

294 Obama/Biden -- Romney/Ryan 244

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map No Toss Ups

VA will flip next, then it will be

281 Obama/Biden -- Romney/Ryan 257

and Romney will only be 13 electoral votes away

it does look like Ohio, is the firewall

All of that is assuming that his momentum continues. I personally woulndn't be surprised if Romney has already hit his peak and that you'll soon see these toss up states start to flip back to Obama.

You and I do agree though that just like Ohio was the firewall for Kerry, it will also be the firewall for 2012's version of a flip flopper.

I for one think President Obama needs to get "angry". Show some passion, defend yourself, point out Romney's weaknesses . Because if he continues to perform like he did in that debate then maybe he really doesn't deserve reelection. Or want it, I don't know.

Like I said before, that whole angry black man thing disgusts me. If I were him I'd rather lose than to have to cowtow to that bullshit. People who believe in that wouldn't vote for him regardless. No matter how deferential he was to the white man.

I for one think President Obama needs to get "angry". Show some passion, defend yourself, point out Romney's weaknesses . Because if he continues to perform like he did in that debate then maybe he really doesn't deserve reelection. Or want it, I don't know.

Like I said before, that whole angry black man thing disgusts me. If I were him I'd rather lose than to have to cowtow to that bullshit. People who believe in that wouldn't vote for him regardless. No matter how deferential he was to the white man.

I fully agree. He has a right to be angry. Angry at Congress for being immature babies and refusing to work together on anything. Angry at the Republicans for blocking/refusing to support anything he's done so far, and for turning on their very own positions the moment they find out he actually supported something of theirs. Angry at his supporters who just sat back after the election and thought he'd take care of everything for them instead of continuing to work for and alongside him. Angry at the American people at large for buying into "death panels" BS and other stupid scare tactics of that kind instead of listening to the actual facts. Angry at people on the right questioning the legitimacy of his birth and making racist and xenophobic remarks and images about him and his family-he ESPECIALLY has the right to be pissed off about that stuff, because that's just downright offensive. Angry at Romney for telling flat out lies during the debate and in the campaign in general, and so on.

Awwwww, he might scare some people who can't handle someone like Obama getting "angry", poor babies. Well, tough crap, people, deal with it. I find the stereotypical "angry white male" annoying at best, scary at worst, so I guess we're even, then?

in 1988, Lloyd Bentson provided perhaps the biggest smackdown of any candidate, ever, in a debate:

Lloyd Bentsen puts down Dan Quayle - YouTube

i was a child watching with my parents, and i still remember this moment. it's amazing, cathartic, and spectacularly delivered.

and H. W. Bush won handily.

the Veep doesn't matter.

what Biden needs to do is look alive, engaged, and not fuck up.

this veep really does not matter, unless one does a total self destruct

last time McCain got a pretty good bounce initially with Palin, as time went on and with his age a factor, her veep was a factor

Romney just won the third and final debate.

I'd say his chances of winning the election are 50+ %.

Similar to the first debate between Obama and Romney, the debate will be broken into six 10-minute segments.

Two of those segments will focus on the first topic, "The Changing Middle East and the New Face of Terrorism," the CPD statement said.

The other regional topics are "Our longest war – Afghanistan and Pakistan," "Red Lines – Israel and Iran," and "The Rise of China and Tomorrow’s World."

"America’s role in the world" is the fifth topic. The CPD said the topics may be raised in any order.

Topics for third debate announced – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

My question for Romney would be:

You espouse the same economic plan that Reagan and both Bush's used during their tenures. In those 20 years, we had 20 deficits and 0 balanced budgets. And today the cost of government is going up and up, with more and more people on SS and Medicare. Why should we believe you will be able to balance the budget when supply-side economics has never done so, even when GW Bush had a Republican congress?

OR

You say you want to raise revenues with expanding the tax base by lowering deductions and eliminating exemptions. Considering that Grover Norquist would never allow that to happen, will you stand publicly against Grover Norquist and encourage congressional Republicans to follow?

I've got a bunch more but these two are my favorite.

You espouse the same economic plan that Reagan and both Bush's used during their tenures. In those 20 years, we had 20 deficits and 0 balanced budgets. And today the cost of government is going up and up, with more and more people on SS and Medicare. Why should we believe you will be able to balance the budget when supply-side economics has never done so, even when GW Bush had a Republican congress?

This is our past 30 years in the U.S. in a nutshell.

Supply-side is bullshit.

OR

You say you want to raise revenues with expanding the tax base by lowering deductions and eliminating exemptions. Considering that Grover Norquist would never allow that to happen, will you stand publicly against Grover Norquist and encourage congressional Republicans to follow?

Great questions!!!!:applaud::up:

This I would kill to hear an answer to.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result each time...there's a word for that, I believe :hmm:.

Can one of you kind souls tell me what time the debate will be shown in a certain city so I can figure out the corresponding Melbourne time? And where I might be able to watch it online? I'm gonna try and watch it live.

The debate is 8pm tonight in St. Louis.

But if you want to watch it online, just wait a bit until after it's over and watch it on youtube. That's what I did last time.

Forgetting key facts I believe is a quality shared by most politicians, might explain some of our problems if all have dementia.

Can somebody please tell me that guy is not a real doctor? All that bullshit about i'm not sayin he has dementia/alcohol problem but hell he sure looks like he might. He really needs to reacquaint himself with some medical ethics/his own sanity.

He is a real MD. A psychiatrist. He has testified in several high profile cases. He is working for Fox so I guess he has to tow the party line . But that's completely professionally inappropriate. Maybe he's more interested in media attention.

Also, anyone with any good questions should e-mail them to Candy Crowley. It's a town hall format, so I don't know how the questions will work. But it's worth a try. Or send them in for the final debate.

Ok i've read some of things that this supposed doctor and gentleman who uses science has previously said in relation to Chaz Bono and Newt Gingrich, he's a grade A quack and I'm pretty sure any of the first year junior docs on my ward could absolutely humiliate him.

It bothers me when politicians espouse such crap, but any medical professional that states this kind of thing, it's just beyond the pale. I think if this gentleman was a currently practising professional here, he would be up before the General Medical Council for bringing the profession into disrepute.

U2DMfan said:

OR

Or we could hear "so Mr Obama, you keep talking about going back to plans that we had during the Clinton administration when it comes to improving the economy... would the "houses for everybody" plan, which ultimately is what led to the mortgage bubble popping, be a part of that plan, or no?"

I'd also like to hear "what will you do in office to help overturn the Citizens United ruling?"

It would also be nice if we could get a "when will one of you grow a set, stop bowing down to party ideology at all costs, and actually, ya know, lead? Specifically you, Mr. Romney... is your new/old run towards the center an honest attempt to get back to who you were as governor of Massachusetts after years of cow towing to the hard right douchebags in order to get elected, or are you just another opportunistic hypocrite?"

And perhaps, just once... "when will one of you dickwads do something real about gun control?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom