2012 Conventions; Tampa & Charlotte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, when your own party is having a tough time getting all that enthused about you, there's a problem. Most times when I see any GOP members or supporters on TV talking about Romney they're always giving weird backhanded compliments or they're using the most vague reasoning imaginable to explain why he's worthy of support or whatever.

Plus, he's just horribly out of touch with people. Given how much of the country is struggling, he'd need to come up with a really good jobs/business plan that would make your average working class person think, "Hey, I think this guy could actually help us out." But instead we've got a guy who talks about how he knows people who are owners of things the common man likes, who thinks that if people want to go to college it's as easy as asking your parents for money, that sort of thing...he doesn't really get what most people are going through right now economically. And his business plans just seem to continue to favor himself and his rich buddies so far. So how that's going to endear him to your average voter, I don't know.

As for the wars, I certainly agree it would be good for Romney (as well as Obama, when the Democratic convention comes along) to discuss them in his platform. But I also know that the way the GOP often frames the debate on war doesn't exactly help matters. They should talk about it, yes. But they won't, and if they do bring it up, it won't be in a way that will be inspiring.

deep said:
I could live with a Romney presidency and a Democrat Senate and House. I think I would even prefer that to an Obama presidency and GOP controlled congress.

Yeah, me too, actually. I can see that working like Massachusetts under Romney, or even Texas under Bush and a Democratic House and Senate as it was in the 90s: halfway decently.

Way late in the game I know but Clint Eastwood was an absolute embarrassment. That's the best they can come up with?

Is Clooney going to the DNC? Pretty please.

There are Clooney lookalikes jogging on the streets of Charlotte? I really need to move there. There is a CNN reporter, Jim Acosta, who is very good looking and looks like Clooney. Maybe it was him.

George Will Not Attend DNC
Clooney publicist denies reported sightings of star in Charlotte

THE HILL

By Judy Kurtz and Emily Goodin - 09/03/12 03:32 PM ET

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — George Clooney’s publicist is denying reported sightings of “The Descendants” star at the Democratic National Convention.

The former “E.R.” heartthrob was reportedly eyed jogging down South Tyron Street in Charlotte on Monday.

But Clooney spokesman Stan Rosenfield tells The Hill in an email that the actor “is not attending” the convention, calling the supposed spottings “phantom sightings.”

I really liked Huntsman when he was running. Of course he never stood a chance. Who knows if someone like him ever will in the GOP.

Huffington Post

During an appearance on MSNBC, Sandra Fluke responded to critical comments Bill O'Reilly made about her role as a speaker at the Democratic National Convention.

"I think it's clearly offensive to see a bunch of guys sitting around laughing about dropping condoms on a woman," she said on "The Ed Show." "Obviously, that’s offensive. But I try to just not pay attention to it, look past it and focus on the policies that I care about and doing what I can for the president.”

The Georgetown University law student, who is supporting President Barack Obama in his campaign for a second term, continued, "I think it's pretty clear that there's more than one reason that I'm speaking at the convention. I've taken positions on a number of policies and, I hope that my contribution and all of women's contributions would be more respected than that."

Speaking on Fluke's role at the convention last week, O'Reilly said, "I'm just wondering when Sandra Fluke speaks at the Democratic convention what they're going to drop from the ceiling." He added, "I'm just pointing out there’s only one reason this woman is speaking. One and one only."

Keep it classy, O'Reilly :up: :rolleyes:.

Yup, me too.

Of course, I'm not American, so my opinion does not count here. :wink:

LOL. Hey, if we think we're able to go around and tell the rest of the world what to do, I don't see why you guys can't do it to us.

As for "Honey Boo Boo" topping the convention in ratings-that's sad and hilarious all at the same time. I'm honestly not sure which program would be worse to watch, really.

I don't know if I'll catch any convention coverage itself-I might peek in, but ultimately it'll probably be like last week for me-just catch up on the recaps online and elsewhere.

I think the Honey Boo Boo case is more about Americans preferring mindless TV over something of substance. I could be wrong though. Maybe if the DNC is beaten by that reality show, then yes, the dumbing of America is real.

NYT%20Ryan.img_assist_custom-640x480.jpg

Here's how the New York Times depicted the GOP candidate for vice president the morning after his acceptance speech. Unshaven and standing at the podium during rehearsal; just a mouthpiece for the "shadowy figures" in the background.

Bias? What bias?

I wish they wouldn't give the right ammo like that. Why can't we just talk about how Ryan's "budget neutrality" is complete and utter nonsense?

NYT%20Ryan.img_assist_custom-640x480.jpg

Here's how the New York Times depicted the GOP candidate for vice president the morning after his acceptance speech. Unshaven and standing at the podium during rehearsal; just a mouthpiece for the "shadowy figures" in the background.

Bias? What bias?

this from someone who claims there's no dog whistles anywhere?

Pearl said:
I think the Honey Boo Boo case is more about Americans preferring mindless TV over something of substance. I could be wrong though. Maybe if the DNC is beaten by that reality show, then yes, the dumbing of America is real.

I think it could also be complete cynicism about politics. Why watch when it's same old same old and none of it will change your life. Not that Honey Boo Boo will.

INDY500 said:
No super attuned ears needed, a picture is worth a 1000 words and I have eyes.

With all this subtle textual and visual analysis, someone could mistake you for a liberal if you're not careful.

Who gives a rat's ass if Paul Ryan shaves? Shouldn't that be positive , that he's too busy to? Too busy to fact check too, but still too busy.

I'm sure the NYT always photoshops out the President's scruff and grey hair.

I honestly would never have noticed that he hadn't shaved in that pic. Maybe it's more obvious in print, but even now I have trouble seeing it.

I thought that was a really great tribute to Ted Kennedy; I thought it was kind of ingenious to put the Kennedy/Romney debate footage in it.

Emotional stuff. It's too bad that he's gone.

The dream will never die. The dream lives on.

Back
Top Bottom