2012 Conventions; Tampa & Charlotte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also directly quoted "assault on marriage" and made no comment whatsoever relating to gay marriage.

At this point I have to ask: Do some of you even give a rat's ass about the truth? Pearl? Anitram? Moonlit? Deep?

Oh, come on. Enough with the sanctimony, please. None of these posters have been any less dedicated to "the truth" than you have.

That said, your point about Santorums "assault on the family" comment being taken out of context IS valid.

At this point I have to ask: Do some of you even give a rat's ass about the truth? Pearl? Anitram? Moonlit? Deep?

Given Santorum's track record on SSM, it was only natural to think he was speaking against the issue.

And please don't say I don't "give a rat's ass" about the deterioration of families in America. That was really rude and aggressive to use such words.

I heard some of John Kasich's speech on NPR on the drive home this evening and it was actually pretty good. I always appreciate it when they avoid all the apocalyptic "OMG we have to take back our country" stuff. His speech was very much about the economy.

I had to wonder if that glowing report about Ohio's progress in the last year and a half is all true.

I, unlike most of you, actually listened to the Santorum speech and didn't hear one mention of anything related to gay marriage. Here's the line:

He went on to talk about "family; the first rung to success" being missing or broken for so many children.

1, yes, we do, thanks.
2, yes, he's right that many families are broken, but I would disagree with his reasoning as to why.
3, I apologize for miscontruing things, but "assault on marriage and the family" still sounds weird. He's still concerned about marriage disappearing, as he noted in that speech, he's just decided to pick a different reason as to why this time. And given his anti-gay marriage history, it's kind of hard not to think of that issue right away the moment he starts going on about the "assault on marriage" and whatnot.

aren't there a lot of auto plants in Ohio

didn't the Obama bail out boost them and their related businesses?

Yes, that's true, I believe.

Listening to him speak, it all sounded so good, but the whole time I was wondering "what's the other side of this story?"

I saw the two big speeches. Just some sheer political observations...

I thought Ann Romney was good, if not very good. And sincere and/or believable.
I like her. She's the best advertisement for Mitt Romney available. They should put Mitt back in his box and store him until after November and just send her out there.

And I thought Chris Christie was self-involved...and if I am Mitt Romney, I think it was a massive failure. Christie was supposed to do the one thing Mitt certainly can't do. Sell Mitt Romney. I think Christie spoke for 20 minutes before even mentioning Mitt. He is a great speaker and could have knocked it out the park. Instead it is now left to the two stiffs batting 3rd (Ryan) and 4th (Romney). White bread deluxe. Christie failed, IMO.

Truth is, I bet Mitt actually gives a good speech on Thursday. We shall see.

:doh: Wow, what a piece of revisionist history shit...

The names of the parties have nothing to do with the parties of today, one should have learned that in middle school.

Only on youtube :|

So I actually went back and watched the end and saw the credits, now it all makes sense. Poor Frantz, he's been proven wrong so many times. As far as MLK being Republican, one only has to read his own autobiography to figure that out. He supported people on both tickets during his lifetime because there were people on both sides supporting the Civil Rights act. His only widely known documented presidential voting was for Kennedy. And he had some VERY choice words for the Republican Convention of 1964; "The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism." He also referred to the Republican convention as "the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right."

Last edited:
Taking assault on marriage out of the context that Santorum meant it, is that like taking you didn't build it out of context? No matter what the context, "assault on marriage" is that lightning rod/code sort of phrase. Just like you didn't build it, even if that was in the general context of everyone needs/has gotten some help (not necessarily some govt help but HELLO that was the immediate context given to it), roads lead to trucks lead to..blah blah blah. I said at the time that Obama never should have said that, no matter what the context. Gave them plenty of ammunition, apparently to be used through the entire convention. One of the dumbest things he's ever said politically, if not just in general. Telling people that, even if you didn't mean it that way, is an insult. Even if that wasn't the intention, it can be the experienced result.

Ann Romney is a lovely woman, I've always said that. Honestly when she was in MA she hardly ever spoke at all. All I ever knew about her was that she had MS and used horse riding and other things to deal with it. But she has always been very classy and gracious, and I hope she can stay that way through the nasty political process. I only watched a small bit of her speech, honestly I just wasn't in the mood to hear her gush about her husband. Sorry, no offense intended towards her.

Apparently he made numerous mentions of hands

original.gif

I also found this interesting, and wonder as MSNBC having all the virtues of perfect equilibrium in their reporting why are they refusing to show all speakers at the RNC Convention.

You don't think they have an agenda, or are actually deep seated latent racists themselves, do you?
MSNBC Refuses to Cover Minority Speeches
Posted by WalterStark on Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 9:31 AM

There were some outstanding and energetic speakers at the RNC Convention on Tuesday. But, if you were watching them on MSNBC you would have missed half the line-up. The impressive speeches given by Mia Love, Ted Cruz, and Artur Davis were conveniently removed from MSNBC’s televised coverage. Why? They’re minorities.

So, Chris Matthews is not alone in his inability to see the world though anything other than a black and white prism, claiming basic subjects like food stamps is somehow akin to a dog whistle designed to get white people into a racist tizzy. His employer, MSNBC, is also apparently hyper-focused on the color of people’s skin.

The Daily Caller noticed MSNBC’s blatantly spotty coverage,

One of the left’s favorite attacks on the Republican Party is that it is the party of old white people, devoid of diversity and probably racist.

If you were watching MSNBC’s coverage of the Republican National Convention in Tampa on Tuesday night, you might believe those assertions, since missing from the coverage was nearly every ethnic minority that spoke during Tuesday’s festivities.

In lieu of airing speeches from former Democratic Rep. Artur Davis, a black American; Mia Love, a black candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from Utah; and Texas senatorial hopeful Ted Cruz, a Latino American, MSNBC opted to show commentary anchored by Rachel Maddow from Rev. Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, Chris Hayes and Steve Schmidt.

Throughout this convention, Matthews has accused the Republicans of playing dog-whistle racist politics while on scene in Tampa. It isn’t clear, however, if Matthews will hurl accusations of racism at Davis, Love or Cruz for speeches his network failed to broadcast.

The seeming contradiction between Chris Matthews’ outrage against perceived racism and the network’s actual racism makes perfect sense if you understand Statists. They care only about winning elections and they use minorities in whatever capacity they deem necessary to achieve that goal. It’s a form of racism much more deviant than the type they accuse the right of harboring.

<>

You don't think they have an agenda

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in here that doesn't recognize MSNBC's bias. But that IS the difference, every poster from "little San Francisco" recognizes, admits, and probably watches very little MSNBC. I can't say the same about Fox and it's viewers :shrug:

that's what i've never understood. it's always "oh yeah? well...msnbc is biased!" well yeah, no one's ever said it isn't. some lefties don't like watching it for that very reason. but supporters of fox news won't admit in that same breath that fox news is just as biased, except it's even worse because they pretend they aren't.

Republican Attendees Threw Nuts At Black CNN Camerawoman, Called Her An 'Animal'

Mia Love better rethink her loyalties. I have to admit I'm surprised the GOP is making her a big deal. It's like they're saying, "we're not racist, here's this black woman who agrees with us!"

seriously?

these two were immediately ejected and condemned by the GOP

The convention released a statement saying, “Two attendees tonight exhibited deplorable behavior. Their conduct was inexcusable and unacceptable. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

Two people removed from RNC after taunting black camera operator – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

if you don't think stupid things, you probaby won't say them, FB em , or tweet them.

Yahoo! fires reporter after comment about Romney

Of course most of us do think some stupid things, we just need to have the good sense not to share them, and even better identify them and discard them, I am constantly reviewing my opinions and do find ones that can be discarded

I also found this interesting, and wonder as MSNBC having all the virtues of perfect equilibrium in their reporting why are they refusing to show all speakers at the RNC Convention.

You don't think they have an agenda, or are actually deep seated latent racists themselves, do you?
<>

Doesn't fit their narrative that the GOP is doubling down on white voters.

In related news:

REPUBLICAN CONVENTION NIGHT 1 VIEWERSHIP

FOXNEWS 6,878,804
NBC 4,770,050
CBS 3,118,927
ABC 2,862,656
CNN 1,473,885
MSNBC 1,468,348

For those of you that aren't watching but just responding to the Left's dog whistles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bcsVnkwmDok

Artur Davis provides my favorite quote from Night One:

This sweet, blessed, God-inspired place called America is a champion that has absorbed some blows.

But while we bend, we don't break.

This is no dark hour; this is the dawn before we remember who we are.

I remember who we are just fine, even with Obama as President !

That sounds like some schmaltz straight out of Twilight, all we need are the long silent blank stares. Breaking dawn.

That sounds like some schmaltz straight out of Twilight, all we need are the long silent blank stares. Breaking dawn.

:lol:

And pretty much what I was thinking. Can you say string of cliches? But your analogy was spot on. I can just see that scene.

Back
Top Bottom