2012 Conventions; Tampa & Charlotte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Michelle Obama. To me she just epitomizes the best of a woman. She's smart, down to earth, a devoted wife and mother, funny,caring, genuine. I like her more than I like the President.

She's so warm that I feel like I could hug her and talk to her, even though we live in completely different worlds.

And I wish I wasn't too lazy to work out like her and get those arms and shoulders. When they showed her from the back, OMG. Dress was very pretty. I just wanted to fix that one section of hair, but it just made her more real.

:up: Agreed. She is so incredibly cool. I know she's not interested, but if she ever changed her mind and did decide to take a run at the presidency one day, I'd vote for her, no question.

I've still yet to catch her speech. Will look online tonight for it after I get home from work.

Bill Clinton tonight - batten down the hatches! Potential mini train wreck. You never know what he'll say.

I know you're being facetious but it is really, really not likely. Despite what the media and/or the Republicans are trying to stir up, it wouldn't make any sense.

He knows that it is best for everyone if Obama is re-elected and is a success in his second term. Rather than HRC having to fight against an incumbent which is always very difficult. Much less have to defend a Democratic economic policy via Obama from Jan '09-Jan '13 that is perceived as a failure, when she worked in this administration. Despite what some have said to the contrary, he certainly would WANT Obama to win to benefit his wife. Even if he doesn't particularly like Obama.

And that might be true. They might not like each other that much. But in politics, that kind of attitude is easily placed aside. Reagan didn't like Bush 41 back in 1980 but he didn't want to put another President (Ford) on the ticket. Nobody liked Romney 4 years ago but everyone from McCain to Huckabee got behind him this year. Kerry didn't like Edwards when he chose him for the ticket. Hillary is serving under Obama after that contentious primary. Bush savaged McCain in 2000 and 4 years later McCain is not only campaigning for Bush, but against his friend John Kerry.

No train wreck tonight. Whatever he wants to say, however half-heartedly he may genuinely feel about Obama, he'll sell a 2nd Obama term to America tonight and probably do it very well. Even if he only mentions his name a few times.

Although I will predict that is the Republican response. 'He barely mentioned his name'. Trying to downplay Bubba's endorsement because they know that it will matter. That was my criticism of Chris Christie's speech on Romney, where he didn't mention Romney until about 20 minutes in. But people didn't know Romney that well and they know Obama. If you're an undecided voter, you wonder if if Obama can be like Clinton in his 2nd term.

It was just an off hand comment-and more like wishful thinking. Maybe he'll talk to an empty chair.

Mitt's holed up in a 4 million dollar mansion in Woodstock VT getting ready for the debates. He said Michelle is a fine First Lady and he didn't want to comment on her slam the door behind you success comment.

I am hoping it is Biden that brings an empty chair.

I'm one of the few people that actually like Biden. I think his 'gaffes' are total exaggerations in lieu of comedians/satirists having the sack to make fun of a Black President. Or in the media's case, to criticize to any meaningful degree.

That's how the media show their 'impartiality', by piling on Biden.

I pledge allegiance to the UNITED STATES not the state of Israel. There's no reason to put Jerusalem in any party platform unless you're bowing to AIPAC. They've got the money and guns- let them sort out their own shit.

I saw the video on HuffPo, which was the C-Span video. It was a bit awkward.

Steved1998 said:
I pledge allegiance to the UNITED STATES not the state of Israel. There's no reason to put Jerusalem in any party platform unless you're bowing to AIPAC. They've got the money and guns- let them sort out their own shit.

Wouldn't this be considered limited government?

Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also a sizable Jewish community, located mainly in South Florida; this is the largest Jewish population in the South and the third largest in the country behind New York and California.

Apparently large portions of the speech were entirely improvised.

The biggest political talent of my lifetime (so far).

I am hoping it is Biden that brings an empty chair.

I'm one of the few people that actually like Biden. I think his 'gaffes' are total exaggerations in lieu of comedians/satirists having the sack to make fun of a Black President. Or in the media's case, to criticize to any meaningful degree.

That's how the media show their 'impartiality', by piling on Biden.

i like Bidden, too. there's gaff here & thwere...but he seems to work hard.. he with Michele have done seriuos work for the wounded warriors and seeking new jobs, education....

he's got seriuos cred on World issues.... and a down too earth background

I'm not sure what I find more amusing: Obama's speech being moved indoors due to "empty seats" or Democratic delegates booing God and Jerusalem being put back in their party platform.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/clip/3872849

ya know why some Democrats "booed God" ?

Because they are tired of Uber Right Wing Republicans trying to shove their idea of God and the way God "should be" and the way "He" should be Worshipped down the throats of everyone else's personal religious, spiritual, or ethical humanistic views. That's why. :)

they are the American Taliban along witrh some Uber Right Catholics.... and not much if a fan of Ultra-Orthodox Jews either Except THEY (usually) don't go around trying to shove their religion down non-Jewish folks! That's goys, people.

ugh :down: AIPAC .......

what's SO deffieciant and sad is that in Israel there's much more of a broader debate between Ultra-Religous, Religious, more Reform and probably some secular Jews and a very much Active Peace Movement, and Jews already working with Palestinian Peace & cooperation people through the years....
...not that many non-Jewish Americans even know this !!!

How do I know this?

I'm not Jewish, I just play one on TV!

j/k.... i spent a lot of years my later kid, tween & teen years ESP when we first moved into the middle section of the area there... it was? oh 60-65% Jewish. A mix of secular, Reform, Conservative but not Ultra-Orthadox Jews!

It was great fun when they're be the High Holy Days ( Sept - Oct depending on older Calander) and the rest of us... some Protestians, a lot of various Ethnic Catholics: Irish, Greek, and anti-Castro Cubans and Puerto Ricans Catholics too.....
and there'd be only 35-30% in the class! :lol:

Anyway i'm a native NYC'r, there's big a big Jewish presense and concentrated in certain neighborhoods more than others, so sort of picked up some of the lingo.....
Israel could do no wrong.

Over the decades i learned a way more nuanced view. I still support their Statehood alot, but their are issues of fairness & abuse etc that have not been well adressed.

Just watching Clinton's speech now. Pretty gripping stuff, the man is very good at this. And to me it looks like a hell of a lot of it was off the top of his head, even if he knew what he was going to talk about. Amazing.

Also loved that the second time he mentioned the GOP was to praise the efforts of previous Republican presidents and promote cooperation, rather than attacking them.

Is Bill Clinton still speaking? Couldn't make it through the whole thing.

He's thinner than ever.

48 minutes. How long was his infamously long speech? Can't remember.

I really, really feel, without the support of polls or anything of the sort, that this election is essentially all but over for Mitt Romney.

What a stark contrast between the conventions. How clear it is that one party is living in decades past.

anitram said:
I really, really feel, without the support of polls or anything of the sort, that this election is essentially all but over for Mitt Romney.

What a stark contrast between the conventions. How clear it is that one party is living in decades past.

It'll be interesting to see what polls do next week. They've been inching towards a dead tie since the GOP convention started, but there's likely a convention bump in there, of course. Whether you chalk it up to press bias or a legitimately better performance, the DNC has had two nights in a row of good press, with Clinton's speech doing a lot to overshadow Obama's speech moving inside and the party platform shenanigans. Much better than Clint Eastwood's bizarre circus act and Paul Ryan's lies (as noted the morning after by Fox News).

You can't make this stuff up. Almost as awkward as Clinton/Obama after the "Obama would have been getting us coffee/carrying our bags" comments.

ABC News’ Michael Falcone reports:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — This could get awkward.

Rabbi David Wolpe of Los Angeles’ Sinai Temple, where Monica Lewinsky and her family were congregation members for decades and where Lewinsky attended religious school, is scheduled to deliver the benediction at the Democratic National Convention tonight — not long after Bill Clinton speaks.

Not only was Wolpe the Lewinsky family’s rabbi, he also sharply condemned President Clinton at the time his sexual relationship with Lewinsky, then a 24-year-old White House intern, was dominating national headlines.

“He was a brilliant, talented, extraordinary child, and for the leader of the United States we need an adult,” Rabbi Wolpe told his temple, according to a 1998 Associated Press account. He said Clinton needed to “cleanse his soul.”

And other news reports from the time noted that Wolpe accused Clinton of hiding behind a “flinty legalistic apology,” for his romantic dalliances with the young intern.

President Clinton will deliver a much-anticipated speech on Wednesday to close out the convention’s second night.

According to the Jewish Telegraphic Agency: “Wolpe said his prayer on Wednesday evening will focus on the ideals animating the United States. … This year, Wolpe was named the most influential rabbi in America by Newsweek magazine and one of the 50 most influential Jews in the world by The Jerusalem Post. He is the author of seven books, and is widely known as a newspaper columnist and radio and television commentator.”

In 2009, Wolpe wrote a commentary in the Washington Post reflecting on the episode, which resulted in Clinton’s impeachment but not his removal from office: “During the Lewinsky scandal, it was the lying and smearing of Monica Lewinsky that marked the low point of the event, not the sex, which was primarily an issue for the individuals and families involved.”

Oh Ann, you are so funny

Ann Coulter sent a controversial tweet about President Bill Clinton and Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke during the Democratic National Convention on Thursday.

Shortly after 8:00 p.m., Coulter tweeted:

@AnnCoulter

Bill Clinton just impregnated Sandra Fluke backstage...

When a follower responded to Coulter, asking if Fluke was "the most exciting speaker at the DNC tonight," Coulter responded, "They're spicing things up with a live abortion on stage!"

Bill Clinton is a rock star. He is the only reason I watched any of the DNC (didn't watch the Republicans at all) For the rest of the speeches I can scan the texts online, but I don't like to miss a Clinton performance no matter how long winded he might be. The Clintons are the only politicians left who still move me.

That being said, I'll be reading the factchecks.:D

Back
Top Bottom