2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She's not as warm and fuzzy as Obama, but this gal woulda been teary to see another gal on that stage last night.

I don't think she'd have stayed on the high road during the campaign, I think that's one of the reasons I'm encouraged by this; voters didn't buy into the personal attacks so much.

I don't think she'd have stayed on the high road during the campaign
No, and at the same time, the opportunities for the GOP to take the low road towards her would've been even greater, which is one reason why I doubt any hypothetical HRC "tsunami." Not that that's her fault, mind you.

i'm just talking about the generational fixation over the lines that were drawn up in 1968 over Vietnam. it's dominated politics since then, and i'm glad we're going to move into an era where it's much less us vs. them. to me, that's what Obama's candidacy has been about from the beginning.

well I hope so, Irving.....

but certainly people like Rush, Hannity & Savage et al...... will be undercutting Obama from today on.......

and yeah I hope we can do some kind of less us Vs them...but there will always be those to whom we'll have to fight --hopefully :pray: only in the Ballot Box.

Listen to your own words on those who'd keep the G/L/B/TG community in second (or third class depending on where you live & how people were/are reasied) " I will demolish them".
doesn't exaCTELY sound like "kumbiya" to me....FOR which I perfectly understand!

I still remember meeting my Irish relatives in Ireland in the 90's and they were talking about OMB (old man Bush) and how they didn't like him and they liked Bill Clinton. My Mom talked to her cousin's son on the phone today, he came to Chicago in 96 and he stayed and just moved back to Ireland a few months back. He told her how impressed he is with Obama and said that America is on the way back again. It just feels good to have people in other countries feel that way, hopefully it will last.

Listen to your own words on those who'd keep the G/L/B/TG community in second (or third class depending on where you live & how people were/are reasied) " I will demolish them".
doesn't exaCTELY sound like "kumbiya" to me....FOR which I perfectly understand!

they've made it very clear that they will insinuate that gay people are child molesters in order to pass discriminatory legislation.

they have no argument. that's been demonstrated in here over and over again as i, and countless others in these threads, have and will continue to demolish their arguments.

i don't care if i'm coming off like an a-hole. i will not be presented as a threat to families, children, society, etc.

i will not.

this is a single piece in a puzzle, whereas the cultural divide in the Baby Boom generation seems much more all-encompassing, and came to a cultural head in the 2000 election where we saw for the first time a real red/blue divide.

Obama rewrote the map.

I would have loved to have been in Grant Park or D.C. last night. Those were the real happiest places on earth. There was an awesome sign they showed on CNN from one of the Georgetown students that said "Why Wait? Evict Bush now!" :love:

^^^^^^^
:lol: :lol: (that was sort of my thot, but i know Obama is not for that)

NYC was avery good third! :hyper:

Maybe i wasn't looking at the screen then (at Rockefeller Center & MSNBC big screens ) I saw just one very short dark live vid feed looking at the WHite House to just very dark silouettes of the "well wisher's :lol: there!

PS: my Word Spell red-underlines "Obama".......some TECH PERSON one DAY SOON will have to RECONFIGURE THAT ONE! :D

Bush didn't win by 6% of the popular vote, nor did he have such a convincing electoral vote victory. Nor did he flip a significant number of states that hadn't gone Republican in years.

at 6 a.m. I wake up, put the volume on the mixer up, what do I hear? 100.000 people cheering, freaking out. Holy shit. I didn´t have time to roll one and the speech just started. MSNBC live. Then I rolled another one, watched the comments for an hour and went to work.

:hyper:

I LOVE IT!!!

NORTH CAROLINA IS STILL UNDECIDED---

They still have 40,000 Provisional Votes to count which Kuby on AirAM said could take days, weeks ?!? :huh: sheeeesh!
OB still has a slim lead.

Not by your definition, of course. But we don't all work from your definition.

for a non-incumbent, for a black man to win Virginia and likely North Carolina, to turn bluer states blue and turn red states more purple, for a man with a muslim name, for the democratic gains in the house and the senate, for a candidate running in what is still a very polarized country, yes, this was indeed a TSUNAMI.

the voters rejected John McCain and George W. Bush and the entire past 8 years. it has been a clear, decisive rebuke of the GOP, and especially Bush, and especially Iraq, who have been shattered as a party by Barack Obama.

don't let anyone fool you into thinking it was only about the stock market. it was about how each man *handled* the crisis, and how Obama destroyed John McCain in all three debates, and the foolish pick of Sarah Palin, easily the least prepared candidate on a ticket in modern political history. McCain disqualified himself with that single action, and this man who so many worshiped as some sort of apolitical masculine military ideal was revealed to be nothing more than a partisian political hack.

the GOP has been thoroughly trounced, embarrassed, and defeated. the monsters who have been in charge since 1994 have been vanquished.

Obama rewrote the map.

The Financial crises helped Obama move the blue area's of the country a little more to the south. Again, just 850,000 votes in few key formally red states going the other way would have given McCain the victory.

New York and Pennsylvania will not have as many electoral votes in 2012 while Texas and Georgia will have more. If Barack Obama and the Democrats fail to satisfy the country enough over the next four years, he will be out in 2012 as will many Democrats in congress.

This one still has me biting my nails...being where I'm from and all. I'm just so frustrated with the third-party candidate at this point. It won't be settled for days, at the very least though.

:hug:

we finger's crossed..go AL!

Your previous post/lection night experience was great! How moving!

on the reverse-
I was at a Crosby, Stills ,NAs & Young concert the night Nixon resigned! omg...everyone had radios, and I think it was Neil who made the announcemnt!

Bush didn't win by 6% of the popular vote, nor did he have such a convincing electoral vote victory. Nor did he flip a significant number of states that hadn't gone Republican in years.

Bush got 50.7% of the popular vote. Obama got 52% of the popular vote based on the current count. How is that significantly different?

My good friend just called me and said that she had not felt this way since she was a high school student and JFK was elected. I can only say, it makes me wish even more that I was older to feel what it was like to be around with JFK, RFK, MLK.....

I am happy for America and the world today.:up:

I was a little too young to get a lot of what JFK was about, but at 10 when he was assassinated, and i more or less took my cues from the adults (school & Family) around me, though I do have memories of the MEGA :yikes: of the Cuban Missile Crisis . Being the precocious child intellectually & scientifically that I was I did understand we'd all go "blooey".

But by time I was 15 I was aware even more socio-cultural-politically, and 1968 was one of those times when you felt like The USA/ World had spilt in 2 --
one where Dr King & Bobby had lived, and where we were/are where they had not. Amazing people thy were!

ah!!! AIR AM producer just played "Beautiful Day" :happysigh:

Bush got 50.7% of the popular vote. Obama got 52% of the popular vote based on the current count. How is that significantly different?

Ah yes, time to start spinning the figures instead of comparing them to the relevant numbers, ie, the gap between their percentage and their opponents' percentages.

Gore actually beat Bush in the popular vote
Kerry trailed by ~2.5%
McCain trailed by 6% - well over twice the gap that Bush enjoyed over Kerry.

If I beat you in basketball by 25 points, that's a sound victory. If you beat me by 60, well then, that's a tsunami.

So who here claimed that Bush won a TSUNAMI like victory in 2000 and 2004?

Each person's use of a word could mean something different, but I do recall many times how you would forcefully remind all of us that Bush was the first person to gain a majority of the popular vote since the 80's four years ago. You would sometimes use CAPS and exclamation points to drive your posts home.

So in some people's minds, it would have come across that it was a TSUNAMI-like victory in your eyes.

Just sayin'.

If this thread descends into a free-for-all about what precisely constitutes the criteria for an 'electoral tsunami,' I'm gonna start knocking heads. :grumpy: Starting with my own against the monitor.

BVS, there is help out there my friend if you need it.. "I'm here for ya man" *holds BVS' hand* :D

Thanks, sometimes that's all you need to hear...:wink:

The scary thing is, there was some truth to that... In "real" life I hardly discuss politics I'm pretty even headed and just laugh it off, except only in certain circles, but if I hear something like that I just find myself talking engaging before I even know it.

My dad said something about Obama being Muslim early in the elections, and I cut him off abruptly and told him he's wrong and ignorant of the facts, etc... something I never do to my father. But then I found him correcting people a few weeks later, not as passionate as me, but still...

He still voted McCain.

Back
Top Bottom