2 British soldiers, police officer shot dead in Northern Ireland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RT� News: PSNI officer shot in Craigavon - reports

PSNI officer shot in Craigavon - reports
Monday, 9 March 2009 22:57
There are reports tonight that a PSNI officer has been shot in the Craigavon area.

The initial information suggests the shooting took place within the past hour and the victim is in a critical condition.

More news to follow.

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Police officer shot dead in town

Police officer shot dead in town

A police officer has died following a shooting incident in Craigavon, County Armagh.

The incident is understood to have happened near Lismore High School at Brownlow.

Police came under attack while investigating suspicious activity near the school.

Also, most dissident republicans' activities have been inept. That they suddenly pull off this Tet offensive style coup is...rather odd.

Create the problem, then offer the solution to deal with the problem - the modus operandi of intelligence services.

While a questioning attitude is always valid I think at this point it probably was RIRA.

These people have no representation, no mandate, and must not be allowed to succeed.

Yolland, can the thread title be changed to reflect that there is unfortunately another fatality tonight?

I couldn't believe it when I read this news story last night - I'm only praying that this is in no way connected with the other shootings, and this is not some downward spiral and a way of things to come.

It won't be a downward spiral, but they might be able to mess around for a while, they're too small to do anything of a sustained nature. I doubt at this stage it's anymore than 3 blokes sitting around a table with a few arms, but they can certainly fuck things up for a bit.

Sorry not in NI at the moment, i'm at uni in Manchester...what was it on about?

So this time it was the Continuity IRA. Probably couldn't have the Real IRA get all the attention and decided they had to do something as well. Idiots.

And I've read of fliers passed around in some towns by unionists who call for revenge. Would be terrible if they started their own little war now.

It wouldn't be unionists passing out flyers...most likely still active loyalists...loyalists have been going at each other for years...they'll probably still be to hateful of each other to do anything, they've always been less co-ordinated than any of the IRAs. It should be said the Continuity IRA is a much smaller organisation than even the quite small Real IRA, they are known to work together on things due to their relative sizes.

To be honest the way people are talking this up, I don't think is helpful. Things aren't falling apart on the streets, and for that matter this is only a big deal because these attacks were successful. There have been loads of unsuccessful attacks over the last few years, and paramilitary shootings at least in my part of Belfast are still all too common, but they don't get reported nationally because they're on civilians (well sort of, depends whether you count ex-IRA dudes or drug dealers as civilians for the most part). People are playing into their hands by hyping it up as some sort of crisis in the peace process, an annoyance to said process but nothing major.

To be honest i'm just fed up with it all, the politics of home are twisted and boring enough, without anyone else getting involved like the paramilitaries. Anyway it's never going to go back to what it was like when I was young (you could say i've seen some 'interesting' sights in my younger years) and even less likely to go back to what it was like in the 70s, I would say hopefully, this is the last spurts of a dying cause.

last night they said on Programme it's NOT a good idea to start this whole 'tit-for-tat' game.

Definitely not, but I worry about how it's being portrayed in the media here in England, they're building it up waaaaaay too much.

Sorry for the mixup of the terms. Didn't really know there was to be differentiated between, so it's interesting to learn.

I don't think there is any chance of the whole mess of the 70s-90s coming back, which is a huge step forward. But these skirmishes are ugly as they are, and can easily involve innocents which is bad enough. But I agree with you, it won't affect the bigger process.

To be fair that's what I recall as well, but when it's happening right outside your house at times, it sticks in your mind like crap at the bottom of your shoe. Whether it was a riot, a couple of bombs outside your house (the bar just across the road from me, very small road, always had a few bombs left outside it) twas quite fun to see the army bomb disposal robot, a guy shot dead next door, the army marching through your house, walking to school asking the soldiers to show you their guns while they were hiding behind trees...When I think about it, twas a strange yet ordinary childhood in regards to family life:shrug: But hey West Belfast is still an interesting place to grow up:p

Vincent, the term Unionist is used to describe the political parties that support NI remaining part of the UK, Loyalist is used to describe the terrorist organisations that support NI remaining part of the UK (for the most part these days they are more just gangsters peddling drugs). Nationalist/Republican is a bit more interchangeable.

In some corner of my brain there was something left about the four terms and how they are used. I get old. ;)

Bah your not much older than me:up: Just at times there be too much to know...I keep on having to remind myself that IRA is not a new tax organisation and that Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) is not a new type of recording tape a la VHS.

I've seen a few in use...In fact where I live now when at home with the parents, there is an old saracen dubbed the 'party saracen' for hire...which gets ample use by birthday girls and hen parties..

I've seen a few in use...In fact where I live now when at home with the parents, there is an old saracen dubbed the 'party saracen' for hire...which gets ample use by birthday girls and hen parties..

Lol! Only in N.Ireland!

On a more serious note though, things seems to be getting a little out of hand here. The two soldiers getting shot was bad enough, but now a policeman has been shot too (not too far from were i live). There was also a device planted near Lurgan police station .. seems like everything is going back to the way it used to be here and im not liking it at all :|

It's not, sure there was a massive 300 odd pound bomb placed near a barracks somewhere, last month..they're always finding a device...shots were fired at the police just last year...you only have to go back to 2005 which was the last time we had widespread rioting as well.

It's not great, but it's not that bad either.

I couldn't believe it when I read this news story last night - I'm only praying that this is in no way connected with the other shootings, and this is not some downward spiral and a way of things to come.

Considering that area is well known for its "republican" leanings im guessing there is some sort of a connection .. even if it is just a bunch of dickheads united in the desire to bring N.Ireland back thirty years into the past!

It's not, sure there was a massive 300 odd pound bomb placed near a barracks somewhere, last month..they're always finding a device...shots were fired at the police just last year...you only have to go back to 2005 which was the last time we had widespread rioting as well.

It's not great, but it's not that bad either.

I agree its not great, but it seems to be getting worse if this past few days are anything to go by .. apparently civil servants working in the prosecution service have been sent emails that they could be under threat (because they are working for "the crown"). I mean what year is it we are living in, 1969? I know that the odd device turns up outside army barracks and police stations every so often here, but when you take into consideration the events that occurred over the past few days, it starts to get a little more worrying.

yeah, they used to park way at the bottom of Grovesner Road.

I can remember the Bedford Street Bomb in the early hours of a Monday morning.
I mean, Im so sure it was like 1am or something. maybe just late on a Sunday night. hearing shop alarms going off and I live about 10 mins from city. now that WAS one hell of a bomb! I recently saw the photos of the destruction it left, as cannot remember too well how it was, and my gawd like.

To be fair that's what I recall as well, but when it's happening right outside your house at times, it sticks in your mind like crap at the bottom of your shoe. Whether it was a riot, a couple of bombs outside your house (the bar just across the road from me, very small road, always had a few bombs left outside it) twas quite fun to see the army bomb disposal robot, a guy shot dead next door, the army marching through your house, walking to school asking the soldiers to show you their guns while they were hiding behind trees...When I think about it, twas a strange yet ordinary childhood in regards to family life:shrug: But hey West Belfast is still an interesting place to grow up:p

I wonder if we were neighbours.

My very first memory of the troubles is coming out of a street and driving almost into the middle of this. I remember my parents lifting us out of the car and running down a street until a woman brought us into her house. My Mum blames the shock of it for making her go into labour that night.

I know of that but I was two at the time and living in Beechmount. I moved to the Falls directly facing the Rock Bar in 1990, it always had bombs left outside or a rocket attack...and then the Loyalists would drive up Donegal Road from the Village, to perform their random killings, every now and then, a few stick in mind, just because there was one right above Aldo's, used to be a barbers there and my dad and wee brother were walking past when the loyalist death squad arrived and shot the barber...that was two doors down from me. Odd times.

I think this article is one of the best around what may be the aims of the likes of the Real IRA.

Attacks put pressure on republicans

By John Ware
BBC Panorama reporter

Northern Ireland is said by some politicians to be staring into the "abyss" again, after a decade of peace, following the shooting dead of a police officer and two British soldiers.

I think that is premature. The "abyss" in Northern Ireland has a tendency to be moved just as we all think we are about to fall into it.

The killers are dissident republicans belonging to disparate offshoots from the old Provisional IRA. We will need to see if collectively the dissidents can sustain the momentum of the last few days.

Success in their terms would see British troops back on the streets, and high profile anti-terrorist operations by overt and covert branches of the security forces.

But whilst the blood of police officers and soldiers is being shed once again, the real target of the dissidents appears to be their former comrades in arms, Martin McGuinness - now joint first minister of Northern Ireland's devolved government - and Gerry Adams.

Much will depend on how they react to this crisis, the support they give to the security forces and the language they use.

Under scrutiny

These shootings represent the first major test for Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness of the real world responsibilities that go with being in government: the security arm of the British state needs to be allowed to stop, if necessary kill, and certainly arrest the gunmen.

If there are mistakes, as inevitably there often are, Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness will need to keep the republican rump on board whilst not using language that is so mealy-mouthed it gives scope to unionist opponents that when their mettle was tested, they were found wanting.

Reaction to the murder of the police officer has brought swift condemnation from Sinn Fein but, as with their statement following the murder of two young soldiers, these have been carefully calibrated - referring to "actions" being "counter-productive" and avoiding until pressed the word "murder".

The difficulty for Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness is that, whereas the Police Service of Northern Ireland is a new and therefore "legitimate" creature of the peace process which they signed up to, the British Army is not, and never will be.

It is regarded by all republicans - dissident and pro-peace alike - as an "army of occupation".

This helps explain that while condemnation swiftly followed the shooting of the police officer, in the case of the soldiers it did not come for 14 hours.

Altered images

The symbolism of Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness volunteering the 'M' word unsolicited, or even making a hospital visit or trip to the scene of the soldiers' shooting, would in some ways be even more remarkable than some of the events thrown up by the peace process - themselves so remarkable they have poleaxed many of us who spent much of the 70s reporting the Troubles.

Perhaps the most abiding image of that transformation is that of Dr Ian Paisley, whose impassioned defence of Protestant unionism attracted epithets like "malign colossus" and "man of wrath", standing side by side with Mr McGuinness.

These men had replaced a lifetime of visceral loathing with laughter and jokes to such an extent that they became known - not a little affectionately - as The Chuckle Brothers.

Mr McGuinness has continued to extend the hand of friendship to Mr Paisley's successor as first minister, Peter Robinson. He has been seen standing at his side referring to him as "Peter" alongside the PSNI chief constable.

Inevitably, however, unionists and republicans still squabble over symbolism - there is still a distressingly large tribal element to politics in Northern Ireland, and probably will be for another generation or two.

Republicans have also tried to re-write history, with Mr Adams recently claiming the "use of armed actions were never about building the United Ireland, they were always about protesting or standing up to British policy".

Brave step

Well, that is not how some of us remember it. I think back to Mr Adams' formulation of "The Long War" in the mid-1970s when he and Mr McGuinness said that if they just kept going, they would win by sickening the British.

That held for another decade before Mr Adams realised that a lot of people were going to their graves for no good reason.

Having seen this ahead of almost everyone in the republican movement, it took some courage on the part of Mr Adams and Mr McGuiness to lead some 90% of republicans out of their cul-de-sac.

Today, Provisional IRA leaders have committed themselves to pursuing a united Ireland by peaceful democratic means.

But those few republicans who did not follow Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness have never forgiven them for their multiple acts of heresy, splitting in 1997 and taking some Provisional IRA munitions with them.

What little traction the Real IRA had was soon lost in 1998 by planting a 500lb car bomb in Omagh that killed 29 people and two unborn children.

Since emerging from their purdah, the dissidents have largely confined their attacks to members of the security forces.

They had relied on the spectacle of Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness "selling out" to deliver them young recruits to ramp up their campaign.

It has not worked out like that - even after Mr McGuinness visited the sickbed of a police officer who survived a dissident booby car bomb last May.

Shaking the foundations

But visiting injured young police officers, and especially a new Catholic recruit to the new Police Service of Northern Ireland, the most virile symbol of a new Northern Ireland order, could still be squared with the republican faithful.

After all, former IRA members now on the Northern Ireland Policing Board get to appoint senior police officers to probably the most transparent and accountable force in the world.

The British Army, though, is different. The symbolism of IRA leaders giving legitimacy to the organisation in such an intimate way through a visit to the crime scene or a hospital bed probably remains a bridge too far.

Just before the weekend attack, we learned that Army special forces were again operating in Northern Ireland, at the behest of the PSNI chief constable to keep "eyes on" what he describes as "extremely dangerous people".

Mr Adams warned Sir Hugh Orde that while he could "count on the popular support of the vast majority" of republicans, this would only apply "provided he does the right thing" - which is a peacetime version of the IRA's wartime "Troops Out" slogan.

And yet, if anything, Sir Hugh is now more likely to call for reinforcements of those undercover troops.

For once the Real IRA has its hated former comrades right where they want them: in the crosshairs of the Faustian pact Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness have made with their former enemy, the British, and unionists.

Make no mistake, this attack against the police officer and the young sappers, the youngest of whom would still have been at primary school when the last British soldier was shot by the IRA, was aimed right at the heart of the republican leadership.

The fact that, so far, their unionist opponents seem to have cut them some slack bodes well for the peace process.

Quite how enduring is the strength of its foundations, however, will only become apparent if the dissidents maintain the bloody momentum of the last few days.

My guess is that the foundations will hold.

haha, I remember one night a few years back being woken up by a cop chopper just hovering above my house, quite impressive.

Back
Top Bottom