10 y/o Boy Refuses to Say Pledge, Causes OUTRAGE!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tumblr_kpd8i6ZY151qzaz00o1_500.jpg

trashman.gif

Hmmm.

A 10 year old philosophizer?

Sounds like the kid could have been coached- which is sad.

<>

When he's being accused of being a "gaywad" for making a statement in support of gay rights, I think a coached child would stop. He has not.

I will admit that I cannot relate to the idea of "being coached;" my parents refused to discuss their political views with me before I turned 18, for they wanted me to develop my own views without their influence. In fact, when I was this kid's age, I was a diehard conservative. At that time, it was so easy to see the world in black-and-white, which I think is the defining characteristic of the conservative viewpoint: certainty.

Of course, by the age of 18 I'd be a diehard liberal. Turns out that my parents are very conservative. Go figure.

And the mainstream media are to news what cheerleaders are to sport. All that's missing are the Obama Blue pleated skirts and pompoms.

i understand you're just working the refs, like Bill Kristol said back in 1996 about GOP complaints about the "liberal media," but it does get tiresome and whiney.

How would the debate change if the kid's name was Muhammad or Roberto something-or-other? Or wasn't even a citizen?

Consciously objecting because you have the freedom to do so is quite different from choosing not to assimilate or wishing not to pledge to the flag of the United States of America because your allegiance lies with another flag.

a tradition like saying "under God?"

yeah and spending money w "In God We Trust" stamped all over it is troublesome for a few also I suspect.

For a "secular nation" there sure is a lot of mentioning God everywhere.

Hmmm.

<>

yeah and spending money w "In God We Trust" stamped all over it is troublesome for a few also I suspect.

For a "secular nation" there sure is a lot of mentioning God everywhere.

Hmmm.

<>

Yeah, it's kind of a drag, really. It's not a big enough deal to bitch about, if you ask me, but it shouldn't be there.

I should note that I did say the pledge in high school, though I never said "under God." Usually I went with "under Canada." And I'm being serious.

How would the debate change if the kid's name was Muhammad or Roberto something-or-other? Or wasn't even a citizen?

Consciously objecting because you have the freedom to do so is quite different from choosing not to assimilate or wishing not to pledge to the flag of the United States of America because your allegiance lies with another flag.

i don't understand the question.

i don't understand the question.

The Ft Hood debate centered around the name (and all that goes with it) of the assailant.

There was also an NBA player with a Muslim name that got into trouble for refusing to stand during the National Anthem several years ago. And again, much of that debate centered on his name.

A Golden Oldie of judicial activism

Thursday, June 27, 2002

SAN FRANCISCO — Politicians on both sides of the aisle decried a federal appeals court's declaration that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is unconstitutional because of the words "under God" inserted by Congress in 1954.

The Wednesday ruling, if allowed to stand, would mean schoolchildren could no longer recite the pledge, at least in the nine Western states covered by the court.

The case was brought by a California man who objected to his daughter being compelled to listen to her second-grade classmates recite the pledge.

In a 2-1 decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the phrase "one nation under God" amounts to a government endorsement of religion in violation of the separation of church and state.

Leading schoolchildren in a pledge that says the United States is "one nation under God" is as objectionable as making them say "we are a nation 'under Jesus,' a nation 'under Vishnu,' a nation 'under Zeus,' or a nation 'under no god,' because none of these professions can be neutral with respect to religion," Circuit Judge Alfred T. Goodwin wrote.

In Canada, where President Bush was taking part in an economic summit, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said: "The president's reaction was that this ruling is ridiculous."

"The Supreme Court itself begins each of its sessions with the phrase 'God save the United States and this honorable court,'" Fleischer said. "The Declaration of Independence refers to God or to the creator four different times. Congress begins each session of the Congress each day with a prayer, and of course our currency says, 'In God We Trust.' The view of the White House is that this was a wrong decision and the Department Justice is now evaluating how to seek redress."

Here was a guy, Michael A. Newdow, that wan't afraid to use his child as a political pawn.

The Ft Hood debate centered around the name (and all that goes with it) of the assailant.

There was also an NBA player with a Muslim name that got into trouble for refusing to stand during the National Anthem several years ago. And again, much of that debate centered on his name.

I guess if he were a Muslim instead of them calling him "gaywad" they'd be calling him "terrorist gaywad"?

I'm not seeing the correlation here. Either way people are going to say this is wrong and Unamerican blah blah blah.

7am??? What kind of ungodly hours are those for a school to keep?

Indeed, 7 AM. Granted, we got out around 2 PM, but still, for someone who can't fall asleep until 2 or 3 in the morning, it certainly helped to advance the effects of my insomnia.

I'm just having a hard time believing a ten year old understands what gays are or what he's actually doing. Some grownup must be behind this for media attention a la the balloon boy. (NO OFFENSE to the cause itself, just saying, ten years old, come on, he doesn't even know what sex is yet how can he understand the gay plight?:huh: )

There's rumour ten year olds have been caught that were quite smart. And have experienced or seen things earlier in their lifes and been able to grasp them.
And some ten year olds even have already been engaging in sex.

Back
Top Bottom