Zoo Station...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
I just have a little question about playing Zoo Station (live versions mainly).

In the intro, right after Edge slides down the fretboard, one can hear what sounds like very high pitched notes played in succession. I don't know if Edge is playing it live (have to watch Zoo TV again), or if it's pre-recorded, but I think I know what's going on there. A little while ago, I was playing the song on my Explorer as usual, without the little squeaks added in. By accident, I struck the A-string (with my left hand muting the string) in that little section between the lower half of the bridge and the uh...raised area of the strings (I'm not good with guitar lingo, I just play the damn things :wink: so here's a picture describing what I'm talking about http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flursich/forsale/gibson-lpc-1970-nylon_bridge.jpg ). I noticed that it gave a sound almost identical to the Zoo TV version of Zoo Station. And if you play the G-string in the exact same spot with standard tuning, it sounds like the version from the opening night of the Vertigo tour.

So my question is, is this "technique" as I guess you'd call it, really how Edge is getting that sound? Or is he doing something completely different?

Last edited:
He could possibly be doing that or playing some heavily muted harmonics.

btw, your link is dead

It's a combination of backing tracks and a muted A at fret 5 on the low E string. He gets the twangy notes in between the muted notes by picking right at the bridge.

Ladera Heights said:
He gets the twangy notes in between the muted notes by picking right at the bridge.

yes, thats it.

with a les paul...like he uses there is a space between the bridge and the where the string starts.....whatever you want to call it.

mkdominatr said:

yes, thats it.

with a les paul...like he uses there is a space between the bridge and the where the string starts.....whatever you want to call it.

Right, I saw that on the San Diego DVD too. It's so subtle, how he bounces between both sides of the bridge. Talk about an original sound. Before, I always thought that high part was a backing track. I guess that's why he's the Edge orchestra.

Edge also strums the upper part of the guitar neck between the nut and the tuners in Bullet the Blue Sky. In the recorded version, he gives it a single strum and let's it feedback at the end of the guitar solo. Live in some of the Popmart shows, he strummed the nut-to-tuner section rhythmically.

Go Edge!!!

finnsmith said:
I cant see the photo you posted. Could anybody send it to my e mail? it is rafita01@hotmail.com. Thank you very much

It's probably easier if I post it here. I've included an arrow to show you the area I'm talking about. :wave:

bridge.jpg

Thank you very much. This has given me another idea. I think in Miami live on the Pop mart (don't know if it is this song, but I remember the video) I saw him playing the strings right on the opposite part of the neck (don't know the name in english, sorry). Thanks for posting the photo. Also another question, anybody knows which effects he uses to get that heavy sound for the intro?

To me.....at the same time as this note is being hit there is a sound like two bits of wood being hit together(there is actually some form of instrument like this but the name escapes me) You can hear it clearly on live versions.

finnsmith said:
Thank you very much. This has given me another idea. I think in Miami live on the Pop mart (don't know if it is this song, but I remember the video) I saw him playing the strings right on the opposite part of the neck (don't know the name in english, sorry). Thanks for posting the photo. Also another question, anybody knows which effects he uses to get that heavy sound for the intro?

u mean between the tuning peg and the nut? he does it in 'popmart' bullet as well. adam also does it in "40" on the chicago dvd. it makes a very "errie" sound. dont know about the intro though

Back
Top Bottom