WOWY- for the experts! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login
Register Premium Upgrade Blogs Gallery Arcade FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:35 PM
WOWY- for the experts!

i wish i knew of a definative resource to answer all these questions for me, but i shall turn to the all the Mr. The Edge's around here,

1) what effects are used to replicate WOWY? now to help me out, dont suggest the Korg, AC, or big muff, LOL, and all these pedels i hear about around these conversaations. i donthave any of these, but i DO have an effect unit (Boss GT-6), so if you could tell me in laymens terms, i might be able to find the seeting/effect on my unit. i hear the delay is set at about 415. (unfortuantly, my delay setting is just a knob from 1-10, so its kinda hard to dycepher) what else besides delay?

2) AT WHAT points in the songs are these effects used? most would be continueous thru out the song, (like reverb, or compression?, etc), but is delay turned off and on multiple times thru out the song? i read that delay is turned on for the intro (e-bow part), but i dont see how delay would effect the ebow sound. isnt it a continous vibrating of the string? doesnt delay work when a single note is hit, and then it repeats it? during the "oohhhhh, ohhhh, ohhh, oh" parts, when Edge is playing out the single notes of the D chord, it does not sound like there is delay on those notes?

3) are the effects used during WOWY, different from tour to tour? for instance, maybe the delay timing is different from zoo tv tour, to vertigo tour? any other effect varied from tour to tour?

4) the E-bow intro. from tour to tour could someone explain how edge played this part. i believe that starting on Joshua Tree tour he did NOT use an e-bow, but had the infinite guitar. then e-bow on zootv? what about popmart? elevation? vertigo? What other main difference were there from tour to tour? was there much difference between elevation and vertigo? ( and i mean in the way it was played, not bono's voice, lol)

5) what are the last few notes Edge's plays slowly to end the song? ( at least in the vertigo versions)

THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE!!!!

marik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:35 AM
1 -- Edge uses delay, shimmer, and he has a little bit of bite (maybe compression or overdrive) for the last half of the song.

2 -- for the delay on the intro part -- you can hear it when Edge moves to different notes. Edge does have the delay on during the 'ohhh ohh' parts.

3 -- the delay time should be the same for all the tours, but on ZooTV i think Edge threw in some wah

4 -- on Joshua tree and ZooTV Edge used an e-bow. starting with popmart he used the infinite sustain systems on Fernandes guitars. Joshua Tree and Lovetown were pretty much the same, ZooTV had wah and dropped the solo, and Popmart, Elevation, and Vertigo dropped the solo on most performances

5 -- i think the last notes Edge plays are a D chord in harmonics:

e|---------
b|--<7>--
g|--<7>--
d|--<7>--
a|---------
E|---------

discothequeLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 06:35 AM
I think there is a bit of overdrive on the main riff when it comes in after the 1st chorus. It sounds like it gets shut off and the riff is more clean during the next verse.
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Did Edge use the Ams 1580 for the begining of WOWY?
tpsglick2424 is offline   Reply With Quote