Why the capo in Until the End of the World?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubh

The Fly
Okay this has been driving me nuts, I love jamming to this song, but I can play along perfectly to the slane castle version, without needing a capo, is it just that the Edge has his guitar tuned a whole step?:huh:

They're playing it in a different key..don't quote me but maybe...G, and if i'm not mistaken is playing it on a guitar that's tuned down half a step.

So if you're playing it tuned standard, and have simply learnt it from the Slane version, that probably explains why you don't need a capo. It is way different than the album tho.

I think it sounds fresher, especially the vocals in the verse. Kinda dull live in album tuning imo.

when playing along with the studio version , i dont even have to change the way i play it at all... the riff is still E, and the verse is Bm - D - Em...and then D - A - Em - G(somewhat)

If I have a standard tuning on my guitar, I can play along with the album version. I would then need a capo on the second fret to play along with ZooTV or PopMart, and a capo on the third fret to play along with any version from Elevation on. All live versions have a capo on the third fret, but in the 90s his guitar was tuned half a step down. Since Elevation the guitar has been standard tuning.

The live version that im talking about yes, which is from live at slane castle..same as the the studio, therefore i can play it with no capo both ways. i dont have the greatest ear but i definitely have one good enough to tell that these two version are in the same key/tuning :sexywink:

They're not the same mate. You can't play the Slane harmonics on a guitar in standard tuning. Album is EADGBE, Slane is GDBFCG.

They're not the same mate. You can't play the Slane harmonics on a guitar in standard tuning. Album is EADGBE, Slane is GDBFCG.

Yeah theyre definitely not the same, they are open notes in the arpeggios, drone notes in the solo, the harmonics and then the open note at the start and end of the outro.

my apologies, ive never actually tried the harmonics on the slane castle version, so forgive me haha now i know:hyper:

Even if you didn't try the harmonics or the drone note, you still can't say they're in the same tuning. They're not. They're a step and a half away (three notes on each string).

If I have a standard tuning on my guitar, I can play along with the album version. I would then need a capo on the second fret to play along with ZooTV or PopMart, and a capo on the third fret to play along with any version from Elevation on. All live versions have a capo on the third fret, but in the 90s his guitar was tuned half a step down. Since Elevation the guitar has been standard tuning.

yeah, this is exactly right.

Back
Top Bottom