Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses guitar sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill Mike D

War Child
The album version is the one I'm thinking of. It seems like it's as simple as an overdriven Les Paul on the bridge pickup with a healthy amount of reverb through the AC30, but when I try this it just doesn't come off right.

This clip in particular shows what I'm after. It sounds great even when he's not using the SDD3KP preamp:

YouTube - DTS sdd-3000P.wmv

Does anybody have some helpful suggestions? Is there some piece of the pie I'm missing?

Specifically? Well I have what's built into my Vox AD15VT amp, a Pocket Pod, a Zoom 2.1gu, and a Verbzilla.

I figured I'd at least be able to get close using my Les Paul, the AC30 setting with a bit of gain, and a lot of fairly dark reverb.

The album version is the one I'm thinking of. It seems like it's as simple as an overdriven Les Paul on the bridge pickup with a healthy amount of reverb through the AC30, but when I try this it just doesn't come off right.

This clip in particular shows what I'm after. It sounds great even when he's not using the SDD3KP preamp:

YouTube - DTS sdd-3000P.wmv

Does anybody have some helpful suggestions? Is there some piece of the pie I'm missing?

Doesn't sound bad at all.

Keep in mind that any album version, especially if Eno is involved, could also have Eno running a track through other units / EQ's etc.

Oh sure, I don't doubt it, but that Youtube clip is awfully close. I just figured the basic signal path of

LP bridge > AC30 fairly dirty > delay > shitload of pretty dark reverb

would do the trick, but I guess I'm wrong.

For the overdrive, I only use a little gain from the amp, and the rest from a tube screamer with the tone on it set pretty low. If I get around to it I'll put a clip on youtube

Alright I was sick and a little out of it when I recorded this so I apologize for me bumbling at the beginning when I'm talking about my effects. I also totally forgot to switch my effects at the bridge which you'll notice :wink: If you want to know anymore specifics just ask :wave:

YouTube - U2 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Guitar cover with effects tutorial

The sound quality of my camera does not do it enough justice, I swear it sounds much better!

Back
Top Bottom