Which one is the most talented?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono is quit the accomplished singer. And while a lot of people start to moan, groan and bitch whenever he mingles and speaks with the high and mighty of charity, nobody doubts his sincerity.

And Edge is the master of creating guitar tones. He guitar playing skills are minimal but where most guitar players are willing to sell their souls for a killer guitar tone that sets them apart, he comes up with new ones for every song.

:no: That's like asking which of your arms or legs is your favorite... there's no way to choose one over the other.

U2 couldn't be the sucess they are today if all four members didn't bring equal talents to the table. Now - is that a lot of talent or a little? Depends on who you're asking.

Obviously, most folks around here would vote for the former. :wink: :up:

Last edited:
I guess you can look at 'talent' from a number of angles

While Edge may be the most distinguished in his field in general, I'm betting most drummers wouldnt be able to do what Larry can do...and though a lot of, say, Adam's basslines are simple, he does it in a way that only a select few could do it as well and look pretty darn cool doing it!

so...in conclusion...talent is relative in a sense

i wouldnt say edge's guitar skills are minimal. he has very good soloing ability, he just doesnt use it because big solos dont always fit the song. id say hes at least in the top 30% of all guitar players in terms of skill.

They can't all be talented musicians. It seldom works that way. All the various dream teams people like to come with would never work because there would be to much ego. Usually if certain musicians get to shine its because others in his or her group let them. Musically I don't think Larry and Adam are that good. Any bassplayer can do Adam's bass lines with their eyes closed. The same goes for Larry's drumming. But its good enough for Bono and Edge to sparkle. And that's what matters.

Besides, they could have other stellar talents. Somebody has to run the business or keep things together when Bono goes off on another crusade. If either of them are the glue that has kept these four guys together as friends and a band I'd say that has been an even bigger achievement that any musical skills.

anybody can play like Edge or Slash or Angus Young, if you build your chops up enough. it's not about playing. it's about songwriting. and they're the best.

Muad'zin said:

Didn't Edge do a soundtrack album back in the 80's?

Yep, it was for a movie called "Captive"
I still havent heard any of it, but people on this board say it's pretty good. A lot of instrumental stuff.

tommycharles said:

There's mention in Flanagan's book of Edge playing drums during the Zooropa sessions.

Plus, wasn't Bono once quoted saying that Edge was "a frustrated drummer"? :lol:

Bono has a unique voice, that sets him apart.

Larry has been able to make memorable drum sounds. I've heard the Sunday Bloody Sunday intro referred to as the "Stairway to Heaven of drums".

Adam's bass isn't all that complex, but that driving 8th notes he's known for is what keeps the songs driving forward.

Now to the Edge. He is probably one of the best guitar players ever. Most great guitarists are good because they can work minimally on effects and sound, but the Edge works by using effects to his advantage. He's also very good at backing vocals..

It's a question you could answer in many ways.

For one, they all have enough know-how to know their limits.

Also, they are great song writers too.

But in pure talent? Larry has been memorable and unique, but he's not anything never seen before, and it's not like his stuff is all that hard to play. It's creative, often something I wouldn't think of on my own, but I can play most U2 songs on drums.

In a similar way, Adam is not making basslines that are really difficult.

Bono has played to his strengths with songwriting, making songs with which his voice makes sense. But overall, I can sing just like he can too. It doesn't sound the same, but it's good enough and doesn't crack or anything.

The Edge is the most talented. He has extremely thorough knowledge of the technical element and how to make a sound. His sounds are very unique, that most people cannot copy them. Some of his best songs are extremely creative too (Streets, The Fly). Overall, he is probably your most talented member.

If I remember correctly...

"Bono wants to be the guitarist, The Edge wants to drum, and Larry wants to sing. Adam wants to play bass."

Back
Top Bottom