What was your first U2-song ever you played on guitar/ bass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgefan

War Child
... And what was your first song ever you played on guitar/ bass?

Well, my first U2-song was "Desire" (or was ist "Angel of Harlem"?? or even "Bad" (no, I think this was second)). :huh:
Maybe you can remember it better :wink:
My first song on Bass was "One" :).

Well, and my first song ever was Bruce Springsteen's "The River"

Now it's your turn :) !

Last edited:
Hi,

Well my first song ever was one, which was great to hear for a beginner of course. Further desire is always good and easy.

For me on guitar, it was streets and Sunday Bloody Sunday... Course, I did have a delay pedal when I first started playing Streets so it wasn't as hard as sallycinnamon's was :wink:

Sunday Bloody Sunday followed closely by Pride. I think With or Without You was my first bass song.

Exit on acoustic guitar.
With Or Without You on bass.
Running To Stand Still on keyboard.

First two songs ever played on guitar (learned both at the same time):
Every Breath You Take and Message In A Bottle by The Police.

With or with out you on Bass ( i used to use it for tuning as well)
and Sunday Bloody Sunday on Guitar.

Not quite sure why you can play guitar but cant play bass though!

i've never really tried to play bass mostly because i don't own one and there's no guitar bassed music program at my school so i could learn

The chorus of Beautiful Day was the first fragment of a U2 song I ever learned. I felt so proud of myself, because I had just started teaching myself guitar and had no idea what a bar chord was. I watched the video, looked ahead in my guitar learner's book, and realised Edge was playing bar chords. So I learned the chorus by ear and thought I was pretty hot sh*t for the rest of the week. :wink: The first U2 song I learned in full was Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of. The first U2 song I learned on bass was With or Without You.

edge's girl said:
i've never really tried to play bass mostly because i don't own one and there's no guitar bassed music program at my school so i could learn

The bass isn't difficult at all. My sister brought one home for band one day, and I sat down and fiddled with it for an hour. By the time I was finished, I had With or Without You down pat, along with a bit of New Year's Day! It was fun, you should try it.

LOL!

I think it would be truer to say that the bass is a simple instrument to get started on because there are only four strings and you generally only have to play one of them at a time. However, once you get past the absolute basics (WOWY would be perhaps the simplest song to play on bass by anyone whatsoever that I can think of and so would fall into that category of difficulty), bass can be just as challenging as any other instrument, depending on the level that you want to play at. Listen to Tony Levin, John Entwhistle or Stanley Clarke (for example) if you need convincing...

GibsonGirl said:

The bass isn't difficult at all.

As an extremely new fan to U2, I recently learned how to play SYCMIOYO on acoustic as well as Stay and One.

I've been attempting Vertigo but it's really sounding brutal at the moment:slant:

GibsonGirl said:

The bass isn't difficult at all. My sister brought one home for band one day, and I sat down and fiddled with it for an hour. By the time I was finished, I had With or Without You down pat, along with a bit of New Year's Day! It was fun, you should try it.

i'd like to try it, except that there isn't one avalible for me to try so i'll just stick to guitar for now. oh and gragravar i know the bass isn't easy if u play it well cuz i have a friend who's been playing bass for years and is excellent at it. unfortunetly this friend will not let me borrow her bass to learn.

Back
Top Bottom