What songs does Edgr use a Telecaster in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know he uses one on SBS and Boots, but is there anything else?

1994 Telecaster (white): Sunday Bloody Sunday (Elevation & Vertigo tours)

SBS - Boston 2001YouTube - ‪U2 Sunday Bloody Sunday Live Boston 2001‬‏

1975 Telecaster (natural ash): The Unforgettable Fire (UF, JT & 360 tours)

"The Unforgettable Fire" - 360 Rose BowlYouTube - ‪U2 360 - Unforgettable Fire live at the Rose Bowl (HD)‬‏

"The Unforgettable Fire" - 1987 Paris
YouTube - ‪U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (Paris Live)‬‏

1975 Telecaster Custom (walnut finish): Seen in the "Vertigo" video.

YouTube - ‪U2 - Vertigo‬‏

Also used live during the BBC promo show during "Magnificent", "Vertigo" & "Get On Your Boots"

"Magnificent" BBC rooftop
YouTube - ‪U2 - Magnificent Live in London [HD - High Quality] BBC Rooftop‬‏

"Vertigo" BBC rooftop
YouTube - ‪U2 - Vertigo Live in London [HD - High Quality] BBC Rooftop‬‏

"Get On Your Boots" BBC rooftop
YouTube - ‪U2 - Get On Your Boots Live in London [HD - High Quality] BBC Rooftop‬‏

1966 Telecaster (blonde): "Vertigo" (Vertigo and 360 tour. Plus, "Get On Your Boots" and "I'll Got Crazy... (remix)" (360 tour)

"Vertigo" - 360:
YouTube - ‪U2 - Vertigo (Taken from U2 360°)‬‏

"...Crazy" - 360
YouTube - ‪U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (U2 360�)‬‏

"Get On Your Boots" - 360
YouTube - ‪U2 360° At Rose Bowl (HD) - Get On Your Boots‬‏

1966 Telecaster (pelham blue): "Vertigo" during HTDAAB promo shows. Edge later used it during the Vertigo tour for their cover of John Lennon's "Instant Karma"

"Vertigo" HQ Promo
YouTube - ‪U2 - Vertigo [HQ Version]‬‏

"Vertigo" Brooklyn Bridge (The guitar still had the Hipshot B-Bender)
YouTube - ‪U2 - Vertigo (Under the Brooklyn Bridge)‬‏

Discotheque - during Vertigo tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAO9HjFOq50&feature=related

He did in the video, but not live.

Thanks so much E_O, I am buying a Telecaster and I needed to know that.

He did in the video, but not live.

Thanks so much E_O, I am buying a Telecaster and I needed to know that.

What Telecaster are you looking at?

I have a 2004 Fender Telecaster Custom. It's like the one Edge used on the BBC roroftop gigs (only mine is all black - not walnut finish)

Great guitar. It's one that I play alot. With the humbucker in the neck position - it's quite versatile with tone.

It's an Agile TC-730. I've heard it's good for a non-Fender. It's only $325 from Rondo Music.

It's an Agile TC-730. I've heard it's good for a non-Fender. It's only $325 from Rondo Music.

Might be worth waiting a bit and saving for a nicer guitar? That way it won't just be a guitar. Or a guitar that was cheap. But it would be a guitar that you will want to play for years to come.

One doesn't have to buy an expensive 60th Anniversary Telecaster or a $3500 Fender Custom Shop model, although they are nice. :D

Some of the MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Telecasters are fantastic. You can get them in the $500-$700 range.

I'm just trying to help you prevent "buyers remorse" and point you toward a nicer instrument that you will love and play for years to come.

What kind of Cowbell does Larry use in Wild Honey? Thx.

He uses a Latin Percussion cowbell. Looks to be the LP ROCK model.

vertigo_tour-kit-2.jpg

http://lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Cowbells/lp_rock_cowbell.html

larry7-4-1.jpg

(Possibly the LP MAMBO, probably the ROCK... I will have to give Sam a call)

Sometimes, he's used TWO. That's right "MORE COWBELL!". Example? Check about 2:45 seconds into "Daddy's Gonna Pay..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Sb6C-rSRY

PS: I don't remember hearing any cowbell in "Wild Honey".
PPS: Yes, Kaf. I know you were f*&^ing with me.
PPPS: There is tamborine along either shekeres afuche cabasa or cabasa's in "Wild Honey". Also made by Latin Percussion.

tamborine
http://lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Tambourines/index.html

shekeres afuche cabasa or cabasa's
http://lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Shekeres/index.html

Edge_Orchestra said:
Might be worth waiting a bit and saving for a nicer guitar? That way it won't just be a guitar. Or a guitar that was cheap. But it would be a guitar that you will want to play for years to come.

One doesn't have to buy an expensive 60th Anniversary Telecaster or a $3500 Fender Custom Shop model, although they are nice. :D

Some of the MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Telecasters are fantastic. You can get them in the $500-$700 range.

I'm just trying to help you prevent "buyers remorse" and point you toward a nicer instrument that you will love and play for years to come.
Are the MIMs any good?

Thanks so much for the tip. I have now rethought buying now and have discovered the MIMs are great and so are some of the Standard and Blacktop Telecasters.

Thanks so much for the tip. I have now rethought buying now and have discovered the MIMs are great and so are some of the Standard and Blacktop Telecasters.

I just hate to see you rush into something and find out that it wasn't what you hoped it'd be. Nothing wrong with delayed gratification... saving a bit and getting something that is quality.

Even with the MIM Teles NOT a Squier. Squiers are NOT quality.

The MIM's are decent. They are in the $500 to $700 range. Once you get it professionally setup, it will play nice. Tonewise, they are decent. And you could later upgrade the pickups to some Kinmans $236... and make a $500 to $700 Telecaster sound like a much more expensive and nicer Telecaster.

And just because, here's a picture of my 2004 Fender Telecaster Custom

DSC03445.jpg

Most of the Tele Custom made over the past few have been either expensive US Custom Shop or Made In Mexico. Mine is a rarer CIJ (Crafted In Japan).

Plays great. Sounds great.

Edge_Orchestra said:
And just because, here's a picture of my 2004 Fender Telecaster Custom

Most of the Tele Custom made over the past few have been either expensive US Custom Shop or Made In Mexico. Mine is a rarer CIJ (Crafted In Japan).

Plays great. Sounds great.

Thats very nice! Is that the only tele you have? I always wondered why edge never really plays his other tele's live.

Thats very nice! Is that the only tele you have? I always wondered why edge never really plays his other tele's live.

Seems he's just found that the blonde 1966 is the one that works best for the songs he's using it for on this tour. (Boots, Vertigo and Crazy)

He did use the 1975 ash Telecaster for "The Unforgettable Fire".

He used the white (made in Japan) Telecaster for SBS for two tours.

I'd like to see him use his Telecaster custom a bit more. And he did used the Lake Placid Blue Tele for promo shows, Discotheque and Instant Karma during the Vertigo tour...

So your statement that he doesn't use the others live isn't entirely accurate.

Wow that's really nice. Its a shame Edge only used a Custom Tele a few times.

Seems he's just found that the blonde 1966 is the one that works best for the songs he's using it for on this tour. (Boots, Vertigo and Crazy)

He did use the 1975 ash Telecaster for "The Unforgettable Fire".

He used the white (made in Japan) Telecaster for SBS for two tours.

I'd like to see him use his Telecaster custom a bit more. And he did used the Lake Placid Blue Tele for promo shows, Discotheque and Instant Karma during the Vertigo tour...

So your statement that he doesn't use the others live isn't entirely accurate.

I ment to say i wish he played them live more. :D

I ment to say i wish he played them live more. :D

Right. And depending on setlists, he does.

He's gone back to a Stratocaster for SBS. That white 1994 (made in Japan)Telecaster was tuned 3 steps down to C# if memory serves. The tobacco Stratocaster is tuned two steps down to D. So for Elevation and Vertigo, as it was the only song in C#, they went with that Telecaster. Now that they are playing "SBS" and "Pride" in the same tuning, they have gone to using the tobacco Stratocaster for both.

The ash Telecaster was used ever night that the band played "The Unforgettable Fire" during the 360 shows; as well as for previous tours.

I agree that the Telecaster Custom is a cool guitar and it would be great to see and hear The Edge play it more. I still think that it would sound great for "Magnificent" but they have not played that since Anaheim # 1. Could be cool if he used it for "Vertigo"... but he seems to like the feel and tone of the blonde 1966 Telecaster.

He's got a tobacco reissue Telecaster. It was listed in the 2009 Music Radar Online article. I think it is the same one that I saw him using in some of the footage of "Magnificent" while they were in Fez and again in a clip on U2.com from the recording sessions of "Magnificent" from the NLOTH album.

But thus far, he's not brought it out live.

Seems he's using a good variety of Strats, LPs, Country Gents, Rickenbacker 12's, J200 acoustics and the blonde Tele, for the bulk of the shows tunes.

Keep in mind, previous to "Vertigo", The Edge seemed to only used a Telecaster for "The Unforgettable Fire"; and that had not been played from the Love Town tour until the 360 tour. So from Rotterdam, Jan 6th 1990 until using the `94 Tele for SBS in 2001, He'ds not played a Telecaster live.

So the actual facts is, he's using Telecasters more in the last 10 years than he ever has used them previous. Just happens to be that he's using the `66 Blonde exclusively, of late.

Back
Top Bottom