What pedal do you think can nail Edge's vertigo tone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
to tell you the truth it could be anything because of that line6 rack unit he has. i can get pretty close to the sound using my processor, but as for a specific pedal i havenmt tried enough of them to know.

well you asked what he was using -- he has a couple of custom Line 6 DM4 rack-mounted processors. the closest to that is the Line 6 DM4

It sounds kinda fuzzy. I've tried playing it through a fuzz box or two before though, but it isn't really that fuzzy. What I think it's really more like is a cranked tube amp with the natural overdrive plus a bit of a dist. box at the front, perhaps. The best I've gotten to it is through my little Fender solid state amp w/ gain around 5, treb around 8, mids around 3-4, and bass around 8. Play fairly loudly for good definition. Bridge or Neck HB is important (the HB is a must).

Dallas Schoo said at the 2004 LA NAMM show:
The main guitar sound throughout the new U2 single "VERTIGO" played by The Edge, was the result of the combination of the Line 6 DM4 stompbox, a vintage echo unit, a vintage '60s Telecaster and a vintage Fender Amplifier.

Line 6 made custom DM4 Pro rack units for Edge after he was using 11 of the DM4 units as stompboxes while recording HTDAAB.

Line 6 DM4

The second time i've posted about this unit in as many days. . . i feel like I should get a kickback from Line 6! :D

The Tele he's been playing live with (at least, from what I've seen) has a bridge HB (the blonde one). But in the music video, I'm pretty sure he's using a '72 tele thinline with dual HBs.

lyra14 said:
The Tele he's been playing live with (at least, from what I've seen) has a bridge HB (the blonde one).

358dcda9.jpg

3444%3B%3B8%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323975368554ot1lsi

they're both single coil.

Damn you for proving me wrong! :) LOL

I think it just needs a good bit of tele twang, that's about it. Still think he's using a 72 thinline in the video, though.

yeah, in the video (and on the Guitar World cover) he has a really kick ass tele thinline.

The 'twang' that edge gets probably comes from him using the bridge pickup.

In the article he says he used a blue 60's tele with a bigsby bridge for the studio vertigo, fyi.

yeah, why doesn't he use that one live? the bigsby just looks damn cool -- and keeps the strings in tune better (though with dallas in the underground i dont think that's a problem for Edge)

Dallas said that Edge used the DM4 set to the Classic Distortion model while recordign this song. That model is based on the older ProCo Rat pedal.

I don't own a DM-4, but I've used one. I liked it. I use my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe's overdrive, so I don't need one, but it's a cool unit. Too bad it only holds 4 patches.

-Nick

Has anyone heard the comp/boost effect on the dm4?Does it really work that well as a compression effect?

jcoriha said:
Dallas said that Edge used the DM4 set to the Classic Distortion model while recordign this song. That model is based on the older ProCo Rat pedal.
yep...I agree that that's possible. I get a real close sound using my bridge p/u on my strat through my original ProCo Rat into an overdriven Hot Rod DeVille. Sounds very close to the Edge's sound.

guitarzan said:

yep...I agree that that's possible. I get a real close sound using my bridge p/u on my strat through my original ProCo Rat into an overdriven Hot Rod DeVille. Sounds very close to the Edge's sound.

Really? I have a similar setup to you, but I don't use the bridge pup on the strat, I use the middle position. On second thought, I also eq HR Deluxe quite trebly, but I don't think it's as trebly as the bridge position.

-Nick

edgeboy said:
Has anyone heard the comp/boost effect on the dm4?Does it really work that well as a compression effect?

I have the DM4 and am pretty happy with it- although i have to admit i've only had it a couple of months before my toying with it was completely eclipsed by 'Tone Heaven Vol. 1' for Garageband 2.0 on my Mac - with a pre-amp and outputs to my amps, I can now do pretty much anything with my Powerbook (like AC-30 into Marshall as an Amp setting!!). To answer your question, the comp/boost effect is good as a compression effect -- that is, it works well but i wouldn't describe it as outstanding. However, the pedal is a bargain, considering all of the things you can do with it - i have a lot of fun with my DL4 & DM4 (until the powerbook, that is!). :)

One more thing: the Line 6 DL line is outstanding in terms of craftsmanship - the stompboxes are built like tanks - all metal).

i LOVE that high end brittle, crystal sound that Edge gets on this song. it's kind of hard to describe, but its that really high-pitched crunch that comes with the distortion. its so damn cool!

there are a couple of ProCo Rat boxs on ebay at the moment - going for around £35 - £45.

Maybe a cheaper alternative to a DM4 if you just want the Vertigo sound? especially if the classic model is based on the ProCo Rat box

hi i use the DM4 with my u2 tribute band
its a great pedal for alot of the new tunes
and edge is using alot on older stuff too

edge doesnt use the classic distortion on
vertigo he uses the drive sim
i watched him live twice during vertigo tour

my u2/edge gear page
http://www.geocities.com/bbbruce5

cheers BB

Back
Top Bottom