What electric guitar should beginner buy????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe_leedsfc07

The Fly
Hey
I'm goin to get my first electric guitar and I havent a clue what i need. So I'm lookin for some help

The songs i would eventually like to play most would be
Bad
Please
UTEOTW
Streets
The Fly
Gone
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Hold me, kiss me...................
What acessories would i need also?????

Thanks a lot

id say a stratocaster (if u cant afford a fender, try a squire strat), a cheap multi fx unit (id recomend the zoom g2.1u), any amp really. a capo for uteotw. And some picks of course:wink: (btw Edge uses a 12 string for gone so you might not beable to get a perfect sound with a 6string) Good Luck!!!
ps. a learn guitar book maybe usefull

Go for a Squier Stratocaster. If you find out after a year or so that the guitar really isn't for you, then at least you haven't wasted the money on a Fender. Plus, Squier are a sub-company of Fender, so even though it's a beginner guitar, it's not as bad as most are.

agreed... get maybe a cheap generic stratocaster that's study enough, and an amp (along with pics, a cord, and a tuner, of course). if it's not for you, then you didn't spend a lot of money, like Gibsongirl said. but if it is, then you can start spending the big money on a brand name guitar, amp, effects pedals, whatever.

good luck!

It's like I tell my friends who buy expensive golf clubs:
Why pay three times as much, to be just as bad.....

If you can afford a Squire, get one.
It's actually a pretty damn good guitar, even if it's the cheap version of Fender.

Actually if you could find an Epiphone, it's the equivalent of the Squier for Gibson. It's cheaper, but it's actually a pretty good guitar. My first guitar was an Epiphone and I still have it, although my Fender Strat is the greatest guitar I've ever owned.

If you can't afford a Squire or Epiphone for that matter, go to a used shop and buy the cheapest one you can afford and don't worry about anything else until you can actually play the chep one halfway decent. You should be able to buy a Squire for around the equivalent of $100-$120 American dollars (maybe even a little cheaper).

Because what difference does it make, at first?
Not much, but having something at least decent might give you more motivation to keep learning. In the end, it's in your fingers, not the gear, the gear is only gravy, just like a $200 driver that still slices right every time it's swung.

Last edited:
joe_leedsfc07 said:
Hey
I'm goin to get my first electric guitar and I havent a clue what i need. So I'm lookin for some help

The songs i would eventually like to play most would be
Bad
Please
UTEOTW
Streets
The Fly
Gone
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Hold me, kiss me...................
What acessories would i need also?????

Thanks a lot

Do you already play guitar?

If not, First things first lower your sights a little.
You said eventually. Eventually is good but please dont attempt most of those songs if you are a beginner if you set your heart on those you will become down and possibly give up.

Bad is ok have a go
Wild horses and Hold me , yeah ok not too bad

Leave the rest for a while.

why not try these.

Desire
Angel of harlem
SBS
Elevation
vertigo

There are some tough songs in your list I would to see you loose interest.

I have played guitar for years I can play Streets but it has took a long time even now im still not happy with how I play it

Good luck

:wink:

A friend wants to know if he should purchase a variax for his first guitar. Being like me ( and very into U2) I didnt know what to tell him. On one hand it is expensive but on the other he can afford it and wants to have the versatility of sounds. Anyone have any suggestions or comments on this?

Going for a Squier Strat is good advice. Try to get a decent multi-effects unit in order to play the songs you want. However do try to get an amp that is as good as you can get. You sound will stand or fall on how good your amp is. A good guitar on a shitty amp will still sound shitty. A mediocre guitar on a good amp will still sound good.

When I first got the urge to learn to play guitar my father bought me a cheap Les Paul copy, but he also got me a Fender Twin Reverb for an amp. That guitar is long gone but I still have the amp and it has a killer sound. Besides, as my father reasoned, a good quality amp will maintain its value so you could always sell it if it don't work out. Nobody however will pay for a cheap crap amp.

Regarding the Variax. I just got myself a V600. I love it! It's an amazing instrument. In addition to the obvious advantage of having many guitar models to choose from, the ability to use alternate tunings without actually physicially retuning your guitar is a pleasure! The guitar is also extremely quiet since it does not use conventional pickups - great for playing infront of a computer screen!

Would I remcommend it to a beginner? Depends on how serious the person is about learning. If he's just trying out playing guitar for fun, then no. If he's sure that he enjoys it, and plans on taking it seriously then I'd say emphatically YES! Go for the 600 is you can afford it. The 300 is more of a studio tool than a guitar to play for fun.

Back
Top Bottom