What do you want from a Tribute Band??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocksinger

Babyface
As some of you know im the lead singer in the new U2 Tribute band in england Called U2opia.
Now what would really be of interest, would be your ideas on what you want to see and more importantly HEAR.
Please give as much info and help as you can as we WILL listen and take on board what YOU'VE said.
We want to be a band formed by the people Who play for the people.
BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!
:larry: :adam: :edge: :bono:
:nerd: <Terry Lawless

I like it when a band is more interested in connecting with the audience and being into the music, instead of being anal about nailing Edge's sound or Bono's voice right. Connecting with their audience was what made U2 a first class act. Not Edge having X number of SDD-3000 and Y amounts of vintage pedals in his rack. Speaking from personal experience when you have a lot of gear this can be very hard.

I like a nice selection of the classics, since that is what most people will be coming for, but with the occasional rare gem thrown in for us diehards. Like Acrobat. Or the Vertigo version of Discotheque. :drool:

What also might be a good idea is do what Iron Maiden does. From time to time they go on tour and only play songs from a certain time period. Like the first four albums. That way you can focus on a certain period and play lots of those songs. Instead of them falling by the way because you have to play Beautiful day and Vertigo instead.

And finally, and this is just IMHO, I like it when a band tries to make U2's music their music, instead of being U2. It doesn't have to be 100% the same arrangements U2 does (please not), you don't have to dress like U2 nor make the same gestures. Be yourself and have fun with it. If you have fun, the audience will have fun.

But I guess that would make you more a cover band then a tribute band.

And finally, cross the pond and play some gigs for us Dutchies! That way I can see what you did with my advice. :wink:

Muad'zin, you've taken the words out of my mouth :p

Tribute bands that are dressing exactly the same as the band and even calling themselves Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry are probably already ignored by me.

Last year I went to a festival in the city I live in and there performed "The Hudson 5" with a Dutch tv-host as singer. They played almost only covers, including One and Vertigo which they played as if it was their own. That's what I want to hear, not some human cd-players.

It's what I strive to do in my Radiohead cover band. I refuse to dress up like Jonny or get the exact same gear as he has. I want my own. I'd do the same if it was U2. IMHO it's the only way to step out of the Edge's shadow and become a musician in your own right.

That being said, if you like to dress up like Edge and get his gear down to the last pedal, more power to ya as well. There are worse examples to emulate and his gear is droolworthy. If you can take it far enough it will take on a life of its own.

What interferencers want from a tribute band is one thing, what bookers and agents want is probably entirely different... unfortunately you will depend on these guys to get booked, there's a certain amount you can do yourself but once it comes to bigger and better gigs you're going nowhere without them on your side, and virtually all of them (in my experience at least) prefer tribute bands that look and sound very similar to the originals because that makes it far easier for them to sell you to their buyers. You don't have to be a dead ringer for Bono but without at least an attempt at the look I think it's unlikely that any serious booker will be interested and you'll be lucky to play any shows other than local pubs... As far as sound goes, if your band doesn't sound at least a bit like U2, i.e. the guitarist refuses to use delay, and the drummer's main influence is metal, and it shows, you're in for a struggle. Have a look at the market leaders in the UK and elsewhere, determine what they are doing right and copy it. Seriously. Originality is not a good thing in a self-advertised tribute. Oh, and if you possibly can, I'd lose the keyboard player and learn to work with sequences; your fifth member will raise costs, reduce income, and the more people there are in the band the harder it is to keep everyone happy. Also, learning to play to a click will make your drummer a better drummer and you will all sound better as a result. Making decent sequences is hard and can be expensive but it will probably pay for itself quite quickly... all in my opinion of course, good luck with the project.

gragravar said:
What interferencers want from a tribute band is one thing, what bookers and agents want is probably entirely different... unfortunately you will depend on these guys to get booked, there's a certain amount you can do yourself but once it comes to bigger and better gigs you're going nowhere without them on your side, and virtually all of them (in my experience at least) prefer tribute bands that look and sound very similar to the originals because that makes it far easier for them to sell you to their buyers. You don't have to be a dead ringer for Bono but without at least an attempt at the look I think it's unlikely that any serious booker will be interested and you'll be lucky to play any shows other than local pubs... As far as sound goes, if your band doesn't sound at least a bit like U2, i.e. the guitarist refuses to use delay, and the drummer's main influence is metal, and it shows, you're in for a struggle. Have a look at the market leaders in the UK and elsewhere, determine what they are doing right and copy it. Seriously. Originality is not a good thing in a self-advertised tribute. Oh, and if you possibly can, I'd lose the keyboard player and learn to work with sequences; your fifth member will raise costs, reduce income, and the more people there are in the band the harder it is to keep everyone happy. Also, learning to play to a click will make your drummer a better drummer and you will all sound better as a result. Making decent sequences is hard and can be expensive but it will probably pay for itself quite quickly... all in my opinion of course, good luck with the project.
I could NOT have said this better myself......so so so true. Everything....so very true. Take it from me. Even the keyboard player bit. We used to have one. Best thing we ever did was remove him and go with the loops.

Back
Top Bottom