What do you use..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
To slide up and down the neck easier? I have this epiphone guitar that is such a pain to play because of how sticky the neck is when sliding up and down it. Any tips, solutions, ideas?

Last edited:
gragravar said:
Clean the neck? This doesn't sound normal even for a cheap guitar.

I guess I shouldn't have said sticky, what I meant to say, is there some kind of substance, liquid of some sort that makes it easier to slide up and down the neck?

If its really a problem take it to somebody who maintains and repairs guitars for a living. Don´t put stuff on your guitar´s neck that you will later on regret. You can abuse the body of a guitar with sometimes little consequences, but a guitar neck you definately don´t want to f*** with.

fastfret is quite good, its like a little stick with a fabric soaked in this string lubricant at the end. you rub it on teh strings and theres a lil cloth to wipe it off.

its about £5 a tube but its pretty well worth it. :) its sposed to make the strings last longer too.

i hate grubby stings. :mad:

Or Peavey makes a lemon based solution (Lemon Oil, perhaps?) that cleans frets. I'd suggest taking the strings off your guitar, cleaning the frets with a q-tip and the solution, and then restringing your guitar with a new set of strings. It'll be a little slick at first, but it will play amazing.

It can also be used on the back of the neck and the body of the guitar for general cleaning purposes.

If the finish on the back of the neck is where the stickiness is, you can learn to live with it, or you could sell it while you still can, or if you're feeling brave you can sand the finish off down to the bare wood. Take your time and finish off with steel wool or equivalent. Then you can either protect the wood with something like tung oil or put another finish back on. I have no idea whether you'd be prepared to try this and I would recommend against unless a) you're desperate, or b) the guitar is so cheap you don't mind if it doesn't work. As a rule it is generally simpler, quicker and cheaper to sell a guitar you don't like and buy one you like than it is to try to change the one you don't like in any but the most cosmetic manner.

Back
Top Bottom