What Do You Think Edge Prefers to Play?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theedge070

War Child
What kind of guitar do you think Edge prefers to play, whether it be in the studio or on stage?

Personally my favorite album is The Joshua Tree. On that album Edge used mainly Strats, with songs like Streets and In God's Country. He liked the single-coiled guitars.

On another generally liked album, Achtung Baby, Edge used mostly Les Pauls and humbucker-equipped guitars. He took advantage of their high-gain output on songs like Until the End of the World, and used their chunky sound on One.

This being said, Edge has flip-flopped between these two different pickup styles numerous time throughout his career, but which kind do you think he prefers to play? Personally I think he likes the Strats. But maybe that's just because I like Joshua Tree more than Achtung? :wink:

They did say that the Fender strat he used on Stuck in a moment live was one of his favorites. One that normally never leaves his home or the studio and is the source of many a recording made with a strat.
Then again, some songs that used to be played live with a strat like NYD are now being played live with a LP. That has to say something.

I think it is a matter of mood. On ATYCLB he rediscovered his Explorer. On the latest CD, we got more into Tele's and Fender amps. Auctung Baby saw the Ric 12-string on a few tracks.

I'd say, if had to chooose one guitar to play he'd go with the strat. Yet, that being said.... he has gotten away from the Strat on songs like NYD, SBS, WOWY.

I guess when you have a guy that has 47 guitars tuned and ready when he is on tour..it's hard to narrrow down to one.

Good question.

Chas

Back
Top Bottom