What do you think about this guitar (help with deciding!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I've never heard of Vantage, and there are plenty of Japanese companies that make very good Les Paul clones, but they're all a bit more expensive than that.

However, you don't have to spend a lot to get a good guitar. Check Craigslist every day. You can find used Mexican Fender Telecasters or Strats for $200 all day, and sometimes for $100.

If you want a Les Paul, maybe find a used Epiphone, or try one of these sites. The Agile and Xaviere guitars get good reviews for the money:

Rondo Music Home Page

Untitled Page

al2000bkgoldhw1.jpg

yhst-50206111187217_2108_26281472

cool thanks! :wave: I'll be sure to check those sites!!
you sound experienced lol so do you think that vantage is any good?

I have never heard of vantage, there's no stating what the guitar is made of(what woods) and it's been used. I wouldn't trust it.
As Mike said, if you want a LP model it's smart to check Epiphone. They make the best quality LP clones.

yeah I did find an epiphone LP-100 for a pretty good price on amazon, i bought it last night, but this morning i got a message from amazon that the seller cancelled the order cuz it was "out of stock" :| so now im searching the internet all over again lol

If I were you I wouldn't go for any random guitar brand. There's a lot of incredibly shitty guitars out there. Go for a decent trustworthy brand, there's cheaper ones of those too. If your first guitar's shit, there's a larger chance you won't enjoy playing.

Like I've said I've never heard of Vantage, so I can't really say. The good Japanese knock off brands are Greco, Tokai, Edwards. They all make high-quality LP clones, but they're also considerably more expensive than Epiphone guitars, although less expensive than a Gibson.

Let's start another way: what kind of guitar sounds do you like? Tell me some songs that have guitar sounds that you like and I'll try to point you in the direction of the kind of guitar that was used.

:ohmy: i never checked back, i got the douglas les paul style guitar. I saw a video on youtube of someone playing it, and it sounded nice to me!
as for sounds, i wouldn't know what to tell you, i like nice clean sounding type stuff, I don't listen to metal or stuff like that, mainly U2ish type stuff or john mayer
idk does this make any sense to you :doh::reject:
(oh and i read reviews of those douglas guitars, people were saying ok things about them as far as being a first guitar and all)

uh, metal is played a LOT on Les Pauls. They are used on U2 songs with 'muff' distorted sounds as well. If you want a good clean sound, and like both U2 and John Mayer, you should've gotten a Stratocaster IMO.

Sure, it makes sense. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine. The Douglas and Agile guitars that Rondo sells are, I believe, made in the same Korean factory that Epiphone used to use about 10 years ago. I'm sure it'll be fine. If you ever decide you want to change the way it sounds you can buy new pickups and have those put in it. I'm sure the guitar itself will be perfectly fine.

Do you have an amp?

Also, Les Pauls are indeed used often for some metal, but those often have active pickups. That guitar should be fine for clean sounds.

For example, I did this recording yesterday with a Les Paul. The clean part in the second half is a Les Paul. The bagpipe bit is a mixture of a Firebird, Danelectro, and a bass.

wow that sounded awesome! :up:
and yep I have some silvertone 20 watt amp, it used to be my brothers i think :hmm:
and i don't think I'll be using the guitar just for those "clean" sounds though, like the fun songs with "muff" distorted sounds like galeongirl mentioned, I'd try to learn how to play that stuff too. I just wanted to get something cheaper(in my price range) that would be good to start out on.
oh and thank you all very much! you've helped me out a bunch! :wave:

No problem. If you ever want to buy an amp, I strongly suggest at least looking at the Vox VT modelling amps, or the slightly older line of ADVT modelling amps. You can find the 15watt versions on Craigslist all day for $100-$150, and they will cover a huge range of sounds. They also have some basic effects built in that are more than sufficient.

good to know! :up: I have to start saving up for that now, it'll probably be my next purchase :hyper:
thanks so so much! i can't wait to start learning how to play the electric guitar!!:D

It's a lot of fun. Definitely stick with it and don't get discouraged. If you've never played guitar before, it'll take some time for you to be able to change chords quickly, and the fingertips on your left hand will become raw, but eventually the skin will toughen up, and your muscle memory will start to take effect and you'll be switching chords without thinking about it. In the grand scheme of music, guitar is pretty easy to learn. Just give it time and stick with it.

oh I've been playing my sister's acoustic guitar since February or January lol forgot to mention that! lol but i still haven't learned barre chords!!(its hard!:huh:) but switching between chords is ok for me now! :D

Not a real Les Paul, to start with. Don't waste your money.

It's like Payless Shoes, when you pay less you get less.

That isnt' to say you must have a $4000 Gibson Les Paul. The better bet is to buy an Epiphone Les Paul (a reputable company with a warranty on the product) and to upgrade the pickups and tuners when money permits.

Vintage Vantage Les Paul Guitar - Made in Japan - eBay (item 320551176916 end time Jun-26-10 13:34:28 PDT)

is it worth getting? I don't have a lot of money to spend on a guitar so I can't get anything really amazing lol
(oh and it will be my first electric guitar, so is it good to practice on and start off? or should I go with something more recent and not a copy??)

If I were you I wouldn't go for any random guitar brand. There's a lot of incredibly shitty guitars out there. Go for a decent trustworthy brand, there's cheaper ones of those too. If your first guitar's shit, there's a larger chance you won't enjoy playing.

EXACTLY!

^ i was going to get an Epiphone LP-100 (for an amazingly good price too!) but the seller canceled the order :(
I've been waiting for awhile saving up my money and went ahead and got the douglas copy les paul. When i get a job this fall and save up a lot more money I'm gonna go with the best choice and get something way better :D

Go ahead and get new strings and put those on the guitar as soon as it arrives. If you don't know how then have someone show you, it's not too hard. That will make a world of difference. Factory strings are almost always complete crap. Have the guitar set up. In fact, maybe just get the strings and take it to a guitar tech shop to have them set it up and re-string it the first time.

^ will do! what type of strings do you suggest? what does the edge use?

Yep. Ernie Ball, D'Addario, they're both fine. Personally I like 10-46 strings, but that's just me. Some people like heavier strings.

Yep. Ernie Ball, D'Addario, they're both fine. Personally I like 10-46 strings, but that's just me. Some people like heavier strings.

.11/s are ceretainly a better idea for anything detuned.

Pride is tuned to D, so .11- .54 Ernie Ball 'Beefy Slinky' are highly recommended.

These also work great for detuning to E flat. U2 use E Flat for a number of tunes.

Thicker string = less 'flappy' when detuned. Also a bit more meat and percussive than .10's

Just what I've found over time.

I'm so glad you all are guitar experts :applaud:
thanks SO much for the info Edge_O and Chill Mike D!!! :wave::up::up::D

I'm so glad you all are guitar experts :applaud:
thanks SO much for the info Edge_O and Chill Mike D!!! :wave::up::up::D

Oh I am no expert by any means. I have just learned a couple of things about guitars and gear and Edge's used of gear over time.

How do you like the Beefy Slinkys? I found them to be very useful addition and I'm happy with the tone I get from them.

Oh I just got them online tonight. But my brother uses them on his guitar so I have heard them and got to play his guitar with those strings on them . I really liked the tone of them and my brother said what u mentioned about detuning and how good it is for that.
Oh and in my book, ur an expert! Lol you should work with the edge!!!! For real! Lol :wave:

Well, I've never heard of Vantage, and there are plenty of Japanese companies that make very good Les Paul clones, but they're all a bit more expensive than that.

I have never heard of vantage, there's no stating what the guitar is made of(what woods) and it's been used. I wouldn't trust it.
As Mike said, if you want a LP model it's smart to check Epiphone. They make the best quality LP clones.

Like I've said I've never heard of Vantage, so I can't really say. The good Japanese knock off brands are Greco, Tokai, Edwards. They all make high-quality LP clones, but they're also considerably more expensive than Epiphone guitars, although less expensive than a Gibson.

Never heard of Vantage?!
Wow...:ohmy: It's not that uncommon for Vantage guitars to appear on auctions etc around here and in fact the reason why I'm over-reacting is that my very first electric was a Vantage VS-600. I got it pre-owned so I'm not sure if the previous owner did any changes to the stock hardware (mainly pickups) but my gosh I love that guitar and the sound is brilliant!

It's not an LP-clone like this one however but something closer to an SG in terms of shape and feel I suppose. I love it, I love it, I love it!
The quality, the feel, the sound and versatility:up:
Check out this site for more info on these guitars: Japanese Vantage Guitars

EDIT: I almost forgot that I have another Vantage (model VW-180 I think) which is an acoustic steel string and it sounds this good: :drool:.

As for the Epiphone discussion:
The Dot that I own, I'm supposed to sell it but I never remember to. It's been a while since I played it so I don't quite recall what it was about the instrument that made me unhappy with it but I have another one like it, a Washburn HB-30 that kicks butt, so for me there was never any question about which one to keep out of the two. Then again, I've heard there is a bit of "hit-and-miss" element of surprise with the Epiphones but as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going anywhere near an Epiphone again. :down:

If people ask me, I'd recommend them to, if possible of course, try out the instrument for themselves before a purchase. In a way I suppose it's like buying new clothes. If it just doesn't feel right to you - why bother?

Final note: Get that Vantage "Les Paul" and you'll make me a very jealous guitar-player! :love:
I'd even consider to record some quick samples for you if you're interested in what a Vantage guitar sounds like?

EDIT 2: I might as well just throw in this little demo that I recorded for my ex-band a couple of years ago. Just promise me you won't steal the song from me! ;) http://www.mediafire.com/?geyyk4y2zzi
It contains a section with a kind of clean sound, one with a little dirtier sound, some Edge-like riff for the chorus and harmonics for the second verse.

The guitar is also capable of doing an even cleaner sound, on the edge of being acoustic almost, thanks to the coil split control which I notice is also present on the Les Paul you're looking at. This is not demonstrated in my recording unfortunately. This is a great feature which allows the guitar to sound similar to a stratocaster type guitar, thus you'd be able to go for the classic Edge, (Joshua Tree) sound to a certain extent.

Oh I just got them online tonight. But my brother uses them on his guitar so I have heard them and got to play his guitar with those strings on them . I really liked the tone of them and my brother said what u mentioned about detuning and how good it is for that.
Oh and in my book, ur an expert! Lol you should work with the edge!!!! For real! Lol :wave:

Thank you for the kind words. I'd gladly take a job working for The Edge. I could learn tons from Edge and Dallas... and in the studio Eno and Lanois. That would be a great job.

Back
Top Bottom