Vox ac30: new or vintage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7cs

The Fly
I would like to buy a vox ac30...so I started looking around and getting informations.

From 2003 Vox has moved to china its factory.

An ac30cc2x (which is the model with british famous "celestion blue alnico" speakers) is about 1400 Euro.

For the same price I have found some vintage models from '80s or '90s, with blue or green (called "greenback" or GB) celestion speakers.

The sound is quite the same because the product from china is very well made, but the new model has got more features than the vintage: inputs, some knobs, a FXloop and more.

I even would like to know if the ampli from china will raise its value during the years. I would want to know if in ten years its value will be increased or gone down. In such case it will be better that I buy a vintage british one that surely will increase its value in the years.

I know that The Edge has got many ac30...some even from the '60s (I don't know if with green or blue speakers) and for sure a red case one dated 1990 (serial n° 000001) with blue speakers, made by Marshall in England. He uses the brilliant channel (called "top boost" or TB) in a stereo configuration (with 2 ampli). I don't know if he uses also the new models made in China.

Can someone give me some suggestion? Can someone tell me where to look for a good used one made in England?

I've read on Celestion | Guitar Loudspeakers ("ask Mr Decibel" section) that new speakers need a "breaking in" treatment, so I'm worry to buy a used one because the precedent owner may hasn't made well this procedure and damaged the speakers.

At the moment my favorites are the '90s models because they have got a Master Volume and other features you can't find on less recent models (they just have one Volume knob) so it's easy to play at low volume manteining the gain tone even at home.

I am very confused, I hope that someone will give me some good advice and that this discussion will be useful to whom as me wants to buy this amplifier.

:wave:

I wouldn't buy the vintage one for the various reasons you mentioned. It's expensive, and my guess is that it's going to need to be treated with a much softer touch than a newer one. And the lack of a master volume knob means that you will never be able to play it with a reasonable amount of gain at home unless you live out in the woods somewhere.

I'm also debating new or vintage. Tone experts tell me vintage. Ease, control, and features tell me new.

Other than Bono's Vox (a 1971 per some interviews and 1972 in others), that Edge has been using some... Most of Edge's are vintage. His 'main' AC30TB has been called a 1962 in some interviews and 1964 in others. (Early 1960's should about explain).

The AC30 CC (Custom Classic) series are pretty good. They are probably a bit more reliable than a vintage but the tone of a vintage that isn't having 'issues' is probably better.

That said, the CC series is far better sounding than the Vox Valvetronix line.

Perhaps take your guitar into your local Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc and try a few. I think you might be happy with the CC and they are a bit more cost effective.

AC15 CC models
Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1 15w 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp. $599.00
Buy Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1 15w 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1X 15w 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Alnico Blues - this amp, with the alnico Blues speakers will be more Edge-like but is a bit more pricey. $949.00
Buy Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1X 15w 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Alnico Blues | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

AC30 CC models:
Vox Custom Classic AC30CC2 30w 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp $1199.00

Buy Vox Custom Classic AC30CC2 30w 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

Vox Custom Classic AC30CC2X 30w 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Alnico Blues - this amp (similar to the AC15 with alnico Blues speakers will be more Edge-like but is a bit more pricey) $1799.00
Buy Vox Custom Classic AC30CC2X 30w 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Alnico Blues | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

Hope this helps some.

Hope this helps some.

I'm so lost right now as to what I want. I have a good friend who's in a very professional band (and was voted best guitar player in Seattle in I think 2006 or 2007 in Seattle Weekly) who told me that whatever I do, don't get a Vox with a master volume. I don't even know where to look for Vox's without! All I've found online are either Vox's that have them or $3-4k used amps that look beat to shit. :(

Actually, nevermind. Just found a 30th anniversary reissue dealership of ac30 amps for around 1300. So I'll definitely be going that direction once I sell off my old amp.

Ah I see. Ok. That makes a lot more sense. I suppose if you can afford one, go for it. I think spending a chunk of money on a really nice amp makes more sense than spending it on a guitar.

Ah I see. Ok. That makes a lot more sense. I suppose if you can afford one, go for it. I think spending a chunk of money on a really nice amp makes more sense than spending it on a guitar.

Yeah. Because you can always upgrade your guitars yourself. It's harder to hand-wire an amp. Hahaha. Both my Tele and my Strat are Mexican-made. But they're both awesome.

Yeah, my Epiphone Les Paul is the most expensive guitar I own (Not counting my Yamaha acoustic that was a gift). The LP was $285 with shipping, and I have a Mexican Telecaster that I absolutely love that I bought along with a Vox AD15VT for $300, which was an incredible deal.

Yeah, my Epiphone Les Paul is the most expensive guitar I own (Not counting my Yamaha acoustic that was a gift). The LP was $285 with shipping, and I have a Mexican Telecaster that I absolutely love that I bought along with a Vox AD15VT for $300, which was an incredible deal.

Wow! That is a pretty good deal. I bought my Mexican Strat and my Blues Jr for $150, but I needed new tubes in the amp and a new input jack and pickup selector for the guitar.

Hey "the tourist",
I am selling a UK made Vox AC30TB from 2000. I am going to put it on ebay tonight so no sweat if you're not interested. It has been modded with a Mercury Magnetic Output Transformer, Sprague caps, etc. Comes with Weber Blue Alnico speakers. These are no longer made and are exact reissues of AC30's from the early '60's. You can read about them on Harmony Central. Great reviews, score high. Email me directly if you're interested at stevenrmeszaros@yahoo.com. The price isn't much higher than what you will be paying on the other amp. Let me know.

Hey "the tourist",
I am selling a UK made Vox AC30TB from 2000. I am going to put it on ebay tonight so no sweat if you're not interested. It has been modded with a Mercury Magnetic Output Transformer, Sprague caps, etc. Comes with Weber Blue Alnico speakers. These are no longer made and are exact reissues of AC30's from the early '60's. You can read about them on Harmony Central. Great reviews, score high. Email me directly if you're interested at stevenrmeszaros@yahoo.com. The price isn't much higher than what you will be paying on the other amp. Let me know.

Thanks, but I am currently waiting on a sale of an old amp (Rivera M100) to work on funding my purchase, so it could be a few months. I would be interested to see pics, though, if there's any way you could post one. I'm mostly interested in the controls on the top.

... Most of Edge's are vintage. His 'main' AC30TB has been called a 1962 in some interviews and 1964 in others. (Early 1960's should about explain).

Do you know if this amp has got grey or blue speakers?

Actually, nevermind. Just found a 30th anniversary reissue dealership of ac30 amps for around 1300. So I'll definitely be going that direction once I sell off my old amp.

Nevermind. Old website not in service anymore. :(

Just won an auction on ebay for a 2001 Vox ac30/6 TB with greenbacks. I can't wait til it arrives. :drool:

229564853_o.jpg

Just won an auction on ebay for a 2001 Vox ac30/6 TB with greenbacks. I can't wait til it arrives. :drool:

It looks in great condition.:love:
Please post a clip of the sound as soon as you can... and tell me how it works when you play at home.

Look nice.

Word of warning on Voxs in general - you put them on 2, and they're already stupidly loud for most venues. :ohmy:

Got it and oh my god it sounds wonderful...! Even with my muddy humbuckers!

Edge's main AC30TB has one blue and one silver.

Are you sure?... I supposed it was like that too, even if I've read many opinions saying "you need blue alnicos to reach edge's sound".

What do you mean for blue and silver? Rola-Celestion G12, Blue "Vox", Greenbacks, Celestion blue alnico... There's a bunch of different speakers mounted on ac30 over the years!!

Anyway all kind of blue speakers have a brilliant clear sound even at high volume while the silvers are more throaty and easy to crunch. So I think edge uses the blue for the main sound and the silver for all those stereo delays, modulations or shimmering sound tricks.

For a TB, what are some good settings to get Boy/October/War era tones? I don't mean the driven tones, but the cleaner tones. Just a-wondering. :)

Back
Top Bottom