Vox AC15 or AD100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Pac_Mule

Refugee
of course, the AC30 is just too expensive for me. What would be a better choice from a technical standpoint, since their price is about the same??

Holy cow, do you really need 100 Watts? I don't know, I guess it depends on what you're using it for and how much money you have to spend. Do you play live gigs?

To me the AD30VT is a great replacement. 100W does sound a bit too much to me indeed. But if you play lots of gigs yea it might be good.

100W even when gigging is too much. Most clubs can mic your amp.

I don't know the specs of that 100w amp and I'm too lazy. But if it's tube, 100w is some insane amount of noise. 30w tube is some insane amount of noise. My next will be an AC15 :up:

But can I make a suggestion? When I was searching for my first amp, I couldn't spend Vox $$. I got the Peavey Delta Blues 30 (when I saw it, it reminded me of an amp I saw Bono using on the Elevation tour). Purists here might laugh a bit, although with the right tubes it sounds so close to the AC30 that if you do a bit of research you'll see many likening it to the AC30. The first guitarist I worked with doing U2 stuff actually used my amp for a bit until he could afford the AC30. Performed admirably, the clean is so nice, the mid boost brilliant and the overdrive channel breaks up nicely (again, just use the same tubes as you would in an AC30). I love this amp, it looks great too. At home there is no way I can turn it up past like 2 without incurring hearing loss.

Check it out: Peavey.com :: Classic Series

I'm in no way suggesting this as an amp for serious gigging "Edge's". But it's a great amp. :up:

Here are some 'comparison' comments which also discuss the AC15

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-91169.html

I too am a fan of amp models. The only amp I own is a small 10-watt Marshall that I got for $40. Other than that I have a Pocket POD and a Zoom G2.1u.

I play gigs, but in a very rural area, so I dont play at a place with a sound setup. also it is hard to keep up in band practice with a drum set right behind me :ohmy: and we dont have enough mics to mic my amp :mad: also the ad100 is a valve amp, so not tube. I really dont know which to choose haha

I play gigs, but in a very rural area, so I dont play at a place with a sound setup. also it is hard to keep up in band practice with a drum set right behind me :ohmy: and we dont have enough mics to mic my amp :mad: also the ad100 is a valve amp, so not tube. I really dont know which to choose haha

Tube is always better imho. I have a 100w amp, but it has selections to reduce wattage to 50, 25, or 12.5. I always play at 25 and am at the right volume compared to my band's drummer without mic'ing anything. Then again, I play at 9 or so on the master volume and 7 or so on the preamp volume.

All I know is that one of my brothers has a 50 watt Vox amp that is more than loud enough to keep up with drums, 100 watt bass, and my other brother's 100 watt Marshall.

All I know is that one of my brothers has a 50 watt Vox amp that is more than loud enough to keep up with drums, 100 watt bass, and my other brother's 100 watt Marshall.

Could be the way he has set up his bass/mid/treble mix though. People just don't realize how important these controls are. I've seen guitarists play through massive amps with the mids scooped out and if you took two steps aside you could no longer hear them. Our singer was always complaining I was too loud until I noticed that on his AC-15 he had set his bass to 3 o'clock and his treble at 9. The guy has an obsession with bass. I turned up his treble and there he was in the mix.

I just got an ad100 on ebay :hyper:

I tried it out at a music shop and was blown away! tube can wait till I have more money :wink:

imo, it's all in the effects and technique. if you wanna try to sound exactly like edge, get a vintage ac-30. if you want to sound like yourself, get an amp that satisfies your own ears, no matter what the price.

Back
Top Bottom