ugh.. Guyatone Zoom Box goes for dirt cheap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OffYourFace

Babyface
I have a clone of a Guyatone Zoom. It's a pretty cool distortion. The one I have was made by Psionic Audio and has the Boy album cover on it.

As for Edge's use of a Guyatone Zoom, it's been speculated that he used one during the October tour. (I've not seen any pictures to verify this)

I'm just working on a clone of the Guyatone, but all I could find was the schematic of the Vox 1902 version. It's the same circuit, but a few parts values might be different. Someone mentioned that the Guyatone sounded brighter, with less bass, but that he liked the 1902 much better. I'd really like to find out, what the differences are and to compare both circuits side by side.

@Edge_Orchestra: Could you post a few good pictures of the circuit board of your Psionic Audio pedal, that show the parts values? Or send to me by mail? My adress is my username at gmx.de... (Or does anyone else have pictures of the original Guyatone?)

Btw: I wouldn't pay high prices for those old Guyatone pedals - the Zoom Box Distortion is just a variation of the MXR Distortion+ or the DOD 250. They all use the same simple circuit, just a few parts values are different. The best way to get a very good clone of that pedal would be to buy a DIY kit for the MXR or DOD and a few extra parts to build it to Vox1902 or Guyatone specs. I'll build my version on stripboard, together with an optical compressor in front of it. If someone is interested, send me a PM or search for it on freestompboxes.org, it's in the thread for the "Really cheap compressor" by "mictester"...

Back
Top Bottom