U2's Official Tribute Band The Dopplegangers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoppleganger

Babyface
Hello Folks I'm one of the actual managers of U2's Official Dopplegangers yes! the ones who actually appear alongside U2 in the "Even Better Than The Real Thing Video"!

*The Dopplegangers were actually formed by U2 & Kevin Godley thats why after many hundreds of people that applied the ones that were finally chosen( Rownan-Bono, Mystic-Edge, Pete-Larry and Clark- Adam) looked so much like the real U2 the video was shot from what I can remember was on the 11th to 14th of Febuary 1992 one days filming at the Rock Circus London for shots of Hendix's and Johnny Rottens & other waxwork figures.
Tuesday the 12th of Feb. was filming the Dopplegangers and the real U2 swapping places inside and outside the girls clothes shop ZOO in London's Carnaby Street (passers by around 6pm in the evening were told it was just a commercial being filmed so as to not make a massive crowd outside the shop) as the council only granted permission at the last moment as the Zoo shop in Watford's harleiquin shopping centre (my home town) was to be the back up if permission wasn't granted. the rest of the week was spent at Pinewood Studios, they had even hired about 20 or so dancers which you only see briefly in that remixed version of the song and video which in the main version they never used.

We were also the same band that appeared in the Zoo TV /Channel 4/ Pat Kenny global broadcast on November 28th 1992. *after Pat Kenny I spoke to Paul McGuiness to seek permission to take the Dopplegangers out on the road, which he and U2 gave their blessing to as long as we didn't call ourselves U2 that was their only request.
Now due to lack of interest to continue plus what with location and playing abilties being problematic issues, the original bass player and myself decieded the Dopplegangers shouldn't die just yet as we felt there were a ton of possiblities ahead of us if we carried the Dopplegangers on so I advertised for 3 new recruits and luckerly we struck gold after along X Factor styled search (Simon Cowell has my sympathy!) strangly enough our new drummer Jeff had been short listed for the original "Even better" video and he was a drummer! so that got things of to a good start, our new Edge Dave lived fairly locally to Watford in Hertfordshire where we were based and played fantastically too! and our new Bono Steve was scarily like the real thing
we later went on to appear on Channel 4's Naked City Tv show (at U2 request to promote a film from them in Italy) also BBC radio, we also had a three page article in U2's own "Propaganda" magazine and a large colour double page photo and article in Q magazine around the same time. The Dopplegangers got signed up but a major high street clothing chain to perform on a massively sucessful university country wide tour and to Ireland, Europe and the middle east at one point. Peter "Willie" Williams even turned up to a couple of shows to check we were doing things correctly!

I have to say its very frustrating ok extremly annoying that after all The Dopplegangers did for and with U2 that in the recent U2 by U2 book by them and Neil McCormick we were completely ignored! as in not one mention or small photo? how come? yet at the back on that very large book (no excuses for lack or room in it please!) everyone else with much lesser contributions than us do get mentioned from the Postal service??? to thier own hotel staff in Dublin??? which I find laughable, yet we took part in the "Even better" video that helped them win a MTV music video award and also in the ZOO Tv, many other Tv and radio shows at thier request! Progaganda magazine an others, plus which makes matters worse Bono even name the band The Dopplegangers! yet we still get no mention!? WHY!??? it all seems abit like a JFK stlyed conspiracy to me. at least most of the U2 fans remember us even if others have a selective memory and chosen to forget about us!
All the best!
Paul

Last edited:
Oh, like going on about all YOU did for U2 is relavent to anything?? Actually, it seems more than a little pompous and completely insane. Your first and only post on Interference is for this?? Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. I guess U2 should send you their MTV award since you seem to think it was all because of you. Did you come up with the concept for the video?? Didn't think so. That is why the video won....great song on a video with a great concept. Not because a guy in the video pretending to be Edge looked like Edge.

Good thing Sweetest Thing never won or we'd have to hear crying from the firefighters, chef, dancers or anyone else in that video.

Dallas Schoo who has been Guitar Tech for Edge since Joshua Tree and takes care of both Edge and Adams gear in the studio was only mentioned once. A guy that has been with the band for 20 years, mentioned once!

Maybe you should just be thankful the U2 gave YOU the opportunity to be in the video and let you have your 15 minutes of fame. By the way...That was 17 years ago.... you might think about moving on now.

I agree with Chas. To me reading your thread comes across as if your tooting your own horn. Im happy your band was able to have that experience with U2 at a time when U2 was taking over the world but I dont understand why you would choose to come to Interference and post in such a way. It would have been better just to share your experiences. Ive seen many tribute bands and some are better than others but I try not to judge as they all are doing it for the love of U2...(I hope). For me personally The singer from Unforgettable Fire is top notch in my book and its not because he is a clone of Bono (he is) but because he lives like Bono,working with AIDS drugs, inviting the ONE people to the UF gigs,ect.ect. He pluggs other U2 tributes at his own gigs and is friends with most if not all of them. He does all this on his own without announcing it on Interference in a way I perceive your thread.

J

Re: A?

TheDoppleganger said:
What are you on about? either say something relavant or say nothing that way you avoid look stupid sunny!

Your second post, and you're already insulting a member? Not cool. Personal attacks are not allowed. Perhaps you should review our rules. If you want to be a part of this community, we welcome you here, but I'd advise you to just be a bit kinder.

Why do the rules apply only to someone with only one post? I would think that some of responses to this person could have been 'kinder' and a bit less judgemental. I don't agree at all with what he's doing, but calling someone 'pompous' and 'insane'...(edited because I got the order of the posts mixed up LOL)

I do think that Paul completely missed the entire joke back in the 90s though...you guys were part of a gag, a small part of the entire surreal and totally tongue-in-cheek spectacle that was ZOO TV. U2 was having a laugh at themselves, not promoting a particular band that they wanted to annoint their "Official Tribute Band" or something. Have a laugh, savor the memories and move forward.

ETA: personally, my thought as a U2 fan after I saw your stuff on myspace etc some months back was "jeez these guys should play out again, they're not bad at all" and there's a message there: play some shows man, get back out on the road and keep U2 fans happy, most of them don't care whether you were invited over to Bono's house for tea or not, they just want to hear the music they love! :) :up:

Just my 2 cents, for what they're worth.

My vote goes for a

:lock:

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
I would think that some of responses to this person could have been 'kinder' and a bit less judgemental. I don't agree at all with what he's doing, but calling someone 'pompous' and 'insane'...(edited because I got the order of the posts mixed up LOL)

Well, I disagree. When I read what he said, I felt it he was trying to take some form of credit for a great video that they were nothing more than extras. I also do find it insane to try to imply either that , in some way, U2 owe them something or there is some sort of "JFK styled conspiracy" as to why they were not mentioned. If someone posts such outlandish statements in a public forum, they open themselves up to both support and criticism. In this case, thus far, it appears that there in not a lot of sympathy for a guy crying about being left out of a book U2 put out.

It's called an opinion Gabe. You expressed yours too. Maybe your just a nicer guy than I am.

As for the one post thing... just MY OPINION on it, it looks bad to have one post EVER and have it be a all about how great you are. Geez, thanks for enlightening me to your awesomeness! Again, TO ME, it make you look shallow and egotistical. When you follow that up with insulting a long time member, it take whatever degree of, "Maybe I'm just reading this wrong and the guys really is not a pompous crybaby" and throws that out the window. If anything it solidifies the initial impression.

Finally....why are you voting to lock the thread? Because a few people posted an opinion? Because I injected some sarcasm? Because a moderator called this guy out for being new and
insulting a guy that has been a member since 2002? What is so egregious that the discussion must end?

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
Why do the rules apply only to someone with only one post? I would think that some of responses to this person could have been 'kinder' and a bit less judgemental. I don't agree at all with what he's doing, but calling someone 'pompous' and 'insane'...(edited because I got the order of the posts mixed up LOL)

I do think that Paul completely missed the entire joke back in the 90s though...you guys were part of a gag, a small part of the entire surreal and totally tongue-in-cheek spectacle that was ZOO TV. U2 was having a laugh at themselves, not promoting a particular band that they wanted to annoint their "Official Tribute Band" or something. Have a laugh, savor the memories and move forward.

ETA: personally, my thought as a U2 fan after I saw your stuff on myspace etc some months back was "jeez these guys should play out again, they're not bad at all" and there's a message there: play some shows man, get back out on the road and keep U2 fans happy, most of them don't care whether you were invited over to Bono's house for tea or not, they just want to hear the music they love! :) :up:

Just my 2 cents, for what they're worth.

My vote goes for a

:lock:

I agree with everything said:up:

Ok, now on to my comments...

It does look very bad when your first post is a long few paragraphs about being so...well I'm thinking of a word that is like big ego but like a bigger word)

I agree with the :lock: because this thread doesn't even have a point to it but a person trying to make a point which really, doesnt matter....

TheEdge U2JT said:

Well, I disagree. When I read what he said, I felt it he was trying to take some form of credit for a great video that they were nothing more than extras. I also do find it insane to try to imply either that , in some way, U2 owe them something or there is some sort of "JFK styled conspiracy" as to why they were not mentioned. If someone posts such outlandish statements in a public forum, they open themselves up to both support and criticism. In this case, thus far, it appears that there in not a lot of sympathy for a guy crying about being left out of a book U2 put out.

It's called an opinion Gabe. You expressed yours too. Maybe your just a nicer guy than I am.

As for the one post thing... just MY OPINION on it, it looks bad to have one post EVER and have it be a all about how great you are. Geez, thanks for enlightening me to your awesomeness! Again, TO ME, it make you look shallow and egotistical. When you follow that up with insulting a long time member, it take whatever degree of, "Maybe I'm just reading this wrong and the guys really is not a pompous crybaby" and throws that out the window. If anything it solidifies the initial impression.

Finally....why are you voting to lock the thread? Because a few people posted an opinion? Because I injected some sarcasm? Because a moderator called this guy out for being new and
insulting a guy that has been a member since 2002? What is so egregious that the discussion must end?

Chas, man, I'm not even going to bite. In your own words, it's called an opinion, and if you'll note I do agree that he's a bit off in the manner in which he posted. I think you could have done a bit better and left out the name calling, that's all. As for the 'defending the honorable member since 2002 bit' cmon, I'm sure Mick can (and did) hande him. Again, just my opinion.

I will note that I voted to lock the thread just as freely as many many others do in other threads, so nothing to get worked up about there.

Happy holidays! :)

TheDoppleganger said:

I have to say its very frustrating ok extremly annoying that after all The Dopplegangers did for and with U2 that in the recent U2 by U2 book by them and Neil McCormick we were completely ignored! as in not one mention or small photo? how come? yet at the back on that very large book (no excuses for lack or room in it please!) everyone else with much lesser contributions than us do get mentioned from the Postal service??? to thier own hotel staff in Dublin??? which I find laughable, yet we took part in the "Even better" video that helped them win a MTV music video award and also in the ZOO Tv, many other Tv and radio shows at thier request! Progaganda magazine an others, plus which makes matters worse Bono even name the band The Dopplegangers! yet we still get no mention!? WHY!??? it all seems abit like a JFK stlyed conspiracy to me. at least most of the U2 fans remember us even if others have a selective memory and chosen to forget about us!
All the best!
Paul

You have got to be kidding right! You honestly have no idea why you would not get a mention in a book by U2........maybe it has to do with the fact that you are one of hundreds of tribute bands.......

ie:

The Rattle and Hum Show - Australian Tribute band
Actung Baby - U2 tribute band - Australia
The Australian U2 show
Unforgettable Fire - East Coast of America tribute band
2U - another American tribute band
An Cat Dubh - Italian tribute band
Even Better Than the Real Thing - NZ tribute band
Elevation - Canadian tribute band
UV - South Florida Tribute Show

You should be grateful to have the opportunity to have PLAYED with U2, you spoiled brat!!!

:mad:

gabrielvox said:
Why do the rules apply only to someone with only one post?

They don't...and I find it insulting that you feel as though I'm being unfair. I swear, that is my #1 pet peeve here....when people accuse me of being unfair. I try so hard to be fair to everyone, I really do.

I didn't think gragravar was really out of line with his first reply. Sure, he may have been better off not posting at all, but it wasn't terrible. TheDoppleganger then replied in a nasty way. TheEdge U2JT wasn't exactly nice either, but I understood exactly where he was coming from, because part of TheDoppleganger's post just sounded bitter and is basically insulting towards the band, which really doesn't come off good as a first post at a U2 board!

I also felt that I should specifically address TheDoppleganger because, being a new member, he may not be as familiar with the rules here (another board I go to pretty much allows people to insult each other left and right, so he may not be aware that we don't allow that behavior here). I figured that me stepping in here and addressing something could serve as a general warning to all. They've seen that a mod has been here and is watching things, so they better be nice as well.

First, I was not saying anything about "defending" Mick. I agree, I'm sure he can take care of himself. However, it was the Bonochick that addressed this. She's a MODERATOR...that is her JOB Gabe. She's not defending Mick, she's policing the forum. You raised the question about a persons 1st post and the rules. I responded to that with my opinion.

Which brings me to this, if you are going to "quote" me, get it right. Don't embelish whatever I said. Read the post, I said nothing about "honorable" member or "defending". The point was A MEMBER, ANYONE, could me Mick, you, Brady, ANYONE.. Don't over think the point Gabe or try to put your words in my mouth. I said a member since 2002. That is just to say, a person who has been a part of this forum for nearly 5 years. I cannot think of a place where it is acceptable for a "NEW" member to come in and immidately start insulting existing members.

Gabe it seems like in a small way you are trying to defend this guy. I'm sure he can take care of himself. Anyone else find it interesting that he was quick to snap back at Mick, but he has not responded to anything else? If this guy really wanted to be a part of Interference community and not just use it as a forum to complain about being left out of a book, a simple apology to Mick would have been a good start. Maybe he could have addressed his comments? I would not be hard to say, " I'm sorry I came across the way I did. What we did with U2 is still very special to me and I was disappointed that we we not mentioned in the book. " Maybe you cannot say something like that if you don't really feel that way. Again, based on his own words, when you start talking about this being some sort of JFK conspiracy, I have no reason to think I am misunderstanding him.

Also, how can you accuse me of name calling? Because I said his statements came across a pompous? I'm referring to what he said...I did not say "you are pompous." And for "insane", the other word you quoted, I said that those statements, that 'all they did for U2', was insane. None of it was a personal attack like you make it to be. However, what he said was directed DIRECTLY at Mick. I addressed what he posted. If your are going to make accusations of me, please try to limit yourself to what is fact.

Finally, about locking the thread, I'm not worked up about anything. I just wanted to know if you have a reasonable explaination as to why the thread should be closed. To say that the thread doesn't have a point is not true. It's not a good point, but if this is the criteria that you are going to use, the moderators could shut down half the stuff on Interference.

You can't have it both ways. Your claim that you were merely addressing the action of 'going on about' as insane and pompous could just as easily be used in the context of his sentence ie by one's comment's one comes across as stupid. It's entirely the same meaning, it's a thinly veiled shot. Why retreat to a technicality? It's what you meant, I'm not putting any words in your mouth. Bottom line, neither of you should have said it, you were both wrong.

As for all the rest of what you said, you're really wayyy too wrapped up in this. It's hardly worth it and I can't see how in any way you could possibly believe that I agree with this guy. But that's for you to deal with, I think I made it crystal clear what my opinion was on his post.

It's not both ways. Retreat to technicality? I no reason for a retreat. I'm stating FACTS, something you seemed to have a problem with. Also, I don't think I was wrong. If what I did was out of line, the moderater would have jumped on me and and not just him.

Gabe, I guess it is easier to just avoid responding to anything when you are wrong. That's fine. It's not the 1st time.

:laugh: :lmao:

Hilarious and entirely predictable. You stick with that, that you are somehow vindicated because the mods jumped on him first. ETA quote by Bonochick:

I figured that me stepping in here and addressing something could serve as a general warning to all. They've seen that a mod has been here and is watching things, so they better be nice as well.
(emphasis mine)

Whatever makes you feel better about it man, like I said you're blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.

But at least you know why I voted for the :lock: ! :lol:

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
Edited: I don't want you to think I'm taking you on publicly. I'll explain it in a PM..no offense meant.

I replied to your PM, but I also want to post part of that reply here as clarification:

...when someone's first post at a U2 fan board involves slagging off on U2, it's gonna raise some eyebrows, and while that doesn't give people a license to be rude, I still can understand where someone would come from with those thoughts...and I probably won't come down as hard on them as I would have in other situations. It has nothing to do with bias towards a member...it's bias towards a situation.

I am going to close this thread because I really don't see it going anywhere positive or useful.

TheDoppleganger, you are welcome at Interference. Feel free to post. But just remember that this is a board for U2 fans, so people may not take kindly if your first posts are badmouthing the band. Like I said, that doesn't give people a free pass to be mean to you...but some may question why you're here if you start off with saying negative things about the band.

Yes, I realize not all discussion about U2 is sunshine and roses here...but I just think it is in good form to not start off your membership here by bashing the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom