U2 songs that use a big muff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caleb8844

War Child
I just got a big muff pi pedal, and I was wondering what U2 songs use this pedal. The only one I could find so far was Elevation. Any others?

I'm not very familiar with the big muff pedal, although it seems like a great pedal and look forward on owning it sometime.

The only song I know Edge uses it, is Elevation too and due to my poor knowledge on this pedal, I'm not going to try and have a wild guess at other songs. But I'm going to check out more on this pedal.

EDIT: Maybe on the Magnificent intro?. It may be a combination of the Digitech Whammy with the Big muff.

I'm not very familiar with the big muff pedal, although it seems like a great pedal and look forward on owning it sometime.

The only song I know Edge uses it, is Elevation too and due to my poor knowledge on this pedal, I'm not going to try and have a wild guess at other songs. But I'm going to check out more on this pedal.

EDIT: Maybe on the Magnificent intro?. It may be a combination of the Digitech Whammy with the Big muff.

I haven't seen the Big Muff in Edge's rig during any of the awards shows or promo gigs. I didn't see it when they played "Magnificent" at Letterman, GMA or on the BBC rooftop bits.

I am not so sure it was used for "Elevation" either.

Elevation was Pod Mag intro is Death by Audio, Big Muff is on Love is Blind and maybe the outro solo to Acrobat...Possible Bullet with a FA1 in front of it at some point but I dont think he used it like that long..(Zoo era).

M

Even Better Than The Real Thing...maybe:hmm:

I do not think that it was used for EBTTRT.

I believe that Mick is right about Bullet. It might have been used for a few others things. "Last Night On Earth" comes to mind but I've not confirmed this as of yet.

I think that it was in his rack starting around The Joshua Tree. I don't remember off the top of my head if it was there for 'Vertigo'. My first thought is that it wasn't and the 'Muff' tones, if used, were out of the Line 6 DM4 Pro (rack) Distortion modeler.

Dallas mentions such a combination (Big Muff and FA-1) in a book called "Live and Kicking: The Concert Industry in the 1990's".

Keep in mind, the book is copvering Popmart (1997/1998): [page 179]
"For the new songs, Edge uses a Lovetone Big Cheese overdrive which delivers a very broken sound, but for his really big distortion he still uses the smal FET pre-amp and his Electrop-Harmonix Big Muff."

Thanks for the help guys. Since it seems that Edge doesn't use a big muff very often, what songs could I maybe imitate the sound of with a big muff?

well we know it was in his rig at some point but I have a couple diff muffs and I never could get what i thought was the right sound..Some songs to try would be maybe ABOY I think this is a PW2 but you could get close. Same with the "beauty inside of me" part on COBL. The solo on Love blindness has Muff sounds...Maybe with some eqing you could get close to Acrobat?? never tried it...I would look into an OD2 and or TS9/SD1 for alot of Edge drive sounds and use the Muff for certain parts only. OD2/TS9 and SD1 are cheap and ARE the pedals used in most of Edges overdrives. These days he relys on the DM4pro but alot of these are emulations of these pedals. The DM4pro has a "boost/comp" setting that is used alot..Great for those semi clean/dirty sounds like Streets and Bad. OR just crank a tube amp to get that breakup sound

Mick

Mildly off the path here but to revisit Love Is Blindness...

Mick, didn't Edge use all four Vox amps (maybe the two Randalls too) on "Love Is Blindness? Not to say he wasn't using the Big Muff, very good chance he was... just remembering that bit that Dallas mentioned in an interview in Total Guitar or The Guitar Magazine around the time of Passengers.

I remember Dallas making some comment about how loud it was.

Back
Top Bottom