U2 Shimmering sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
High quality cables, well-organized layout of the system, and he's not using all the pedals at once.

Remember, when you use a switcher, only the pedals (or rack units) that are switched on are in the chain at any one time. When you think about what Edge uses most of the time in his main chain, he really is only running 1-3 pedals plus a 2290 and (usually) the SDD3000. He may switch different units and pedals in and out of the chain by changing patches or switching on or off individual effects, but he's not running everything at the same time.

Hence, no tone sucking.

Again, it comes back to the switching system he uses.

By "not running everything at the same time," are you referring to the thought that not all individual stompboxes/rackunits are on?

I always thought that you could have all the pedals turned on at the same time, but you could disengage any loops that contain pedals that are irrelevant to a song. Like what Gerry demonstrated.

Thus, you eliminate the tone sucking.

Um...I don't see a mixer on Gerry's pedalboard.

From what I understand, all the signals "mix" inside his CAE, where the final output is split into two- one goes into the TimeFactor, and the other goes into the Verbzilla.

I asked Gerry what I should do with the stuff I have. Maybe you missed that part. Sure, I could just go out and buy everything he has... but I'm not made of money. Go back and read my question and his response before you reply to my response to his response.

Anyway, I'm working on hopefully getting a Peavey Classic 30 and I'd just put the verbzilla on its effects loop, and then possibly buy a splitter for the tuner. I sold my Classic 30 about 6 months ago not realizing all it needed were new tubes, and I sold it waaaaay too cheap and I have sellers remorse. I sold it to a friend, and hopefully he'll let me buy it back for a similar price. I might even give him an extra $50 (I sold it to him for $125).

By "not running everything at the same time," are you referring to the thought that not all individual stompboxes/rackunits are on?

I always thought that you could have all the pedals turned on at the same time, but you could disengage any loops that contain pedals that are irrelevant to a song. Like what Gerry demonstrated.

Thus, you eliminate the tone sucking.

That's what I meant - the loops are switched off, and no signal goes through the effects that are switched out of the chain.

So, yeah.

So, if I have a signal splitter, a Boss TU2, and a Line 6 delay, and I get a verbzilla, should I set it up line this?:

Guitar->tuner->signal splitter (side A)->delay (left jack)
->signal splitter (side B)->verbzilla->delay (right jack)

And then from the delay just go from one of the outputs into the amp? My amp (Fender Blues Jr.) only has one imput and no fx-loop. I want shimmer, but I don't wanna kill my tone.

I think you're just fine. Tone sucking should be negligible IMHO in your limited setup. I also happen to think that tone sucking, I hate the word cause it makes it sound so much worse then it actually is, is not such a big deal overall. For decades people have been using effects pedals in series creating great tone despite this 'tone sucking'. Then along comes the true bypass craze and suddenly everything has to be true bypass, and if not possible it should be placed in buffered loops cause OMGZ tone sucking will ruin your tone. Somethings I think many of these socalled tone gurus hype the problem so they can peddle us their true bypass loops/switchers/buffers.

Ok sorry for the double post but i know my last post was uninteligent so here let me ask:

I know that you need a verbzilla to get the sound of Running to a stand still, so of what I am getting so far is this:

guitar--->verbzilla--->volume pedal--->amp

what else do I need besides the volume pedal and verbzilla to get that exact sound that Gerry (the guy in the video) is making.

thank you, sorry bout that

ok sorry for my THIRD post, i dont want to get annoying here but this is what i got so far without the pulse thing.

guitar--->splitter--->verbzilla--->volume pedal--->AMP #1
guitar--->splitter--->boss SD-1---> giga delay--->AMP #2

Is that it FOR SURE? :lol:

:reject:

ok sorry for my THIRD post, i dont want to get annoying here but this is what i got so far without the pulse thing.

guitar--->splitter--->verbzilla--->volume pedal--->AMP #1
guitar--->splitter--->boss SD-1---> giga delay--->AMP #2

Is that it FOR SURE? :lol:

:reject:

Essentially what I have in my video was

Guitar -> Boss SD1 -> Giga Delay -> VoxAC30
Dry out -> Volume Pedal -> Verbzilla -> Fender Blues Jnr.

The "pulse" thing was just a tremolo sound from the ModFactor sampled through the TimeFactor.

Thanks
Gerry

Well the Verbzilla I ordered arrived last night. I noticed that the Octo setting sounds closest to the shimmer thing if you crank the tone all the way down, otherwise it's too bright.

I also think it could be used in other creative ways, maybe running it before some other effects instead of straight into an amp.

And honestly the other reverbs on the Verbzilla are quite nice too.

This thread is causing me to spend lots of money. I'm gonna buy a 3-channel effects loop/splitter/buffer, a verbzilla, a tc electronics nova delay, and (this has nothing to do with this thread per se) a furman power factor pro. :huh:

The Edge Settings

Hello !

Mysterious ways sound incredible! in a Korg A3

i dont have Korg A3

Can anyone tell me were i can find the exact settings for the
Mysterious

ways for i trie in another guitar processor !!!

Where i can fint the Settings Edge use in Mysterious Ways ??

Its Possible ?

Thanks !

This thread is causing me to spend lots of money. I'm gonna buy a 3-channel effects loop/splitter/buffer, a verbzilla, a tc electronics nova delay, and (this has nothing to do with this thread per se) a furman power factor pro. :huh:

what loop/splitter/buffer is the best? I've heard of the lehle, radial, lavaflow, morley? what is good?

Hello !

Mysterious ways sound incredible! in a Korg A3

i dont have Korg A3

Can anyone tell me were i can find the exact settings for the
Mysterious

ways for i trie in another guitar processor !!!

Where i can fint the Settings Edge use in Mysterious Ways ??

Its Possible ?

Thanks !

Mildly off topic here but to answer your question... "Mysterious Ways" seems to be one of Edge's guitar tones that is very hard to accurately replicate without a Korg A3 (with SPC-01 card)

I think some have gotten close with Line 6 M13 ($500.00) but the A3 can be found for cheaper, in most cases, on Ebay (Normally between $120.00 to $300.00 - although one did just sell for $810.00 but that person must have wanted one badly and cost didnt' matter).

Another unit that I think that some have had moderate success is the Fractal Audio Axe-FX but that unit is $1000.00+.

Oddly enough, the Korg A3 is the more financially viable option. One can find the A3 and it's similar cousin, the A2 on Ebay. And the SPC-01 files can be found on the Korg A3 user site korgaseries.org: home

Hope that is useful.

Hi,

..some words about tone sucking, true bypass etc:

That´s only a real problem if you wanna use a guitar with passive PUs and the pure amp sound. If the signal is treated by a buffer ones, it´s "strong" enough and other pedals won´t affect the tone much. As Edge uses a wireless system, the signal that goes into his effects units is always "buffered".
That´s an important part of his tone: Normally, every guitar cable affects the resonance frequency of your guitar pickups sound - the longer the cable, the lower the resonance frequency = "darker" tone. With a wireless transmitter, there is only a very short cable, so the resonance frequency is higher than it could be in any setting with a cable.
Perfect solution: Use a wireless system or build a buffer directly into the guitar.
Simple and close enough solution: use a pedal with a buffer (no true bypass) as the first pedal in the chain, before the splitters, loopers etc. So your signal is reliable: The first cable does affect the resonance frequency, the rest of the chain doesn´t.

With lots of true bypass pedals and without a booster/buffer inside the guitar, the length of the cable that affects the resonance frequency would change, whenever you switch on/off a pedal... So even the greatest "true bypass lover" should use one pedal without true bypass at the beginning of the signal chain. With one exception: fuzz pedal must be plugged directly after the guitar, before the buffer.

regards, roseblood

I have a Digitech GSP2101 and it can replicate Shimmer quite easily using an effect called Arpeggiator.

You don't even need to use it as a true arpeggiator (which would use intelligent pitch shifting: harmonizing) and it's not like a MIDI keyboard arpeggiator either, but Edge's shimmer effect really only requires octaves (12steps of shift) with a 0.5-1sec delay in between. Crank up the feedback and you're there.

There is also a Digitech pedal known as the XP300 Spacestation (sister pedal to the XP100 Whammy) and various other Digitech units refer to the Spacestation when doing Shimmer type effects, such as the EX-7 Expression Factory.

In fact the EX-7 does whammy, wah and leslie as well, so you could use it to do Shimmer for Running, Whammy for Gone, Leslie for Staring, Wah on Fly etc.

But in the end you can't beat a multi fx unit like the GSP2101, because it can be programmed, can do leslie AND whammy AND Shimmer AND reverb simultaneously and have all of these effects controlled in real time, via expression pedals. Plus there is no tone sucking as all effects are 24/48bit digital. As long as you're willing to do some experimenting and some programming.

Since the GSP2101 is no longer available, the closest thing may be the GSP1101, I've heard very good stories about this thing from former 2101 users.

I have a question about the Line 6 M13, can I control the amount of shimmer with the expression pedal (EX1) instead of having to split the signal to a different amp?

Back
Top Bottom