U2 Shimmering sound - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #41
War Child

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Well the Verbzilla I ordered arrived last night. I noticed that the Octo setting sounds closest to the shimmer thing if you crank the tone all the way down, otherwise it's too bright.

I also think it could be used in other creative ways, maybe running it before some other effects instead of straight into an amp.

And honestly the other reverbs on the Verbzilla are quite nice too.

Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
This thread is causing me to spend lots of money. I'm gonna buy a 3-channel effects loop/splitter/buffer, a verbzilla, a tc electronics nova delay, and (this has nothing to do with this thread per se) a furman power factor pro.

the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #43
Babyface

Local Time: 02:45 PM
The Edge Settings

Hello !

Mysterious ways sound incredible! in a Korg A3

i dont have Korg A3

Can anyone tell me were i can find the exact settings for the
Mysterious

ways for i trie in another guitar processor !!!

Where i can fint the Settings Edge use in Mysterious Ways ??

Its Possible ?

Thanks !
ventura33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #44
Babyface

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
This thread is causing me to spend lots of money. I'm gonna buy a 3-channel effects loop/splitter/buffer, a verbzilla, a tc electronics nova delay, and (this has nothing to do with this thread per se) a furman power factor pro.
what loop/splitter/buffer is the best? I've heard of the lehle, radial, lavaflow, morley? what is good?
glennc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennc100 View Post
what loop/splitter/buffer is the best? I've heard of the lehle, radial, lavaflow, morley? what is good?
This is who I'm gonna buy through:

Standard Loop Switchers Loop-Master - 100% True Bypass Musical Instrument Signal Routers Switchers and Loopers
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura33 View Post
Hello !

Mysterious ways sound incredible! in a Korg A3

i dont have Korg A3

Can anyone tell me were i can find the exact settings for the
Mysterious

ways for i trie in another guitar processor !!!

Where i can fint the Settings Edge use in Mysterious Ways ??

Its Possible ?

Thanks !
Mildly off topic here but to answer your question... "Mysterious Ways" seems to be one of Edge's guitar tones that is very hard to accurately replicate without a Korg A3 (with SPC-01 card)

I think some have gotten close with Line 6 M13 ($500.00) but the A3 can be found for cheaper, in most cases, on Ebay (Normally between $120.00 to $300.00 - although one did just sell for $810.00 but that person must have wanted one badly and cost didnt' matter).

Another unit that I think that some have had moderate success is the Fractal Audio Axe-FX but that unit is $1000.00+.

Oddly enough, the Korg A3 is the more financially viable option. One can find the A3 and it's similar cousin, the A2 on Ebay. And the SPC-01 files can be found on the Korg A3 user site korgaseries.org: home

Hope that is useful.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #47
Babyface

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Hi,

..some words about tone sucking, true bypass etc:

That´s only a real problem if you wanna use a guitar with passive PUs and the pure amp sound. If the signal is treated by a buffer ones, it´s "strong" enough and other pedals won´t affect the tone much. As Edge uses a wireless system, the signal that goes into his effects units is always "buffered".
That´s an important part of his tone: Normally, every guitar cable affects the resonance frequency of your guitar pickups sound - the longer the cable, the lower the resonance frequency = "darker" tone. With a wireless transmitter, there is only a very short cable, so the resonance frequency is higher than it could be in any setting with a cable.
Perfect solution: Use a wireless system or build a buffer directly into the guitar.
Simple and close enough solution: use a pedal with a buffer (no true bypass) as the first pedal in the chain, before the splitters, loopers etc. So your signal is reliable: The first cable does affect the resonance frequency, the rest of the chain doesn´t.

With lots of true bypass pedals and without a booster/buffer inside the guitar, the length of the cable that affects the resonance frequency would change, whenever you switch on/off a pedal... So even the greatest "true bypass lover" should use one pedal without true bypass at the beginning of the signal chain. With one exception: fuzz pedal must be plugged directly after the guitar, before the buffer.

regards, roseblood
roseblood11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #48
The Fly

Local Time: 09:45 PM
I have a Digitech GSP2101 and it can replicate Shimmer quite easily using an effect called Arpeggiator.

You don't even need to use it as a true arpeggiator (which would use intelligent pitch shifting: harmonizing) and it's not like a MIDI keyboard arpeggiator either, but Edge's shimmer effect really only requires octaves (12steps of shift) with a 0.5-1sec delay in between. Crank up the feedback and you're there.

There is also a Digitech pedal known as the XP300 Spacestation (sister pedal to the XP100 Whammy) and various other Digitech units refer to the Spacestation when doing Shimmer type effects, such as the EX-7 Expression Factory.

In fact the EX-7 does whammy, wah and leslie as well, so you could use it to do Shimmer for Running, Whammy for Gone, Leslie for Staring, Wah on Fly etc.

But in the end you can't beat a multi fx unit like the GSP2101, because it can be programmed, can do leslie AND whammy AND Shimmer AND reverb simultaneously and have all of these effects controlled in real time, via expression pedals. Plus there is no tone sucking as all effects are 24/48bit digital. As long as you're willing to do some experimenting and some programming.

Since the GSP2101 is no longer available, the closest thing may be the GSP1101, I've heard very good stories about this thing from former 2101 users.
eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #49
Refugee

I have a question about the Line 6 M13, can I control the amount of shimmer with the expression pedal (EX1) instead of having to split the signal to a different amp?
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #50
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I have a question about the Line 6 M13, can I control the amount of shimmer with the expression pedal (EX1) instead of having to split the signal to a different amp?
Yes
john3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #51
Refugee

thanks

The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote