U2 Shimmering sound - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
But the Verbzilla does not have true-bypass switching.

I was always told that you should stay away from pedals that do not feature true-bypass.
Gerry appears to be using a switcher for different fx loops. The issue of "true bypass" for pedals is when you're running all your pedals in a chain. Since he's using a switcher, he can bypass pedals entirely.

Same thing as using a switcher in a rack setup.

Loar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 PM
So what you're all saying is that when the pedal is even off your tone is affected simply by having the pedal in your chain? Are there any other reverb pedals that aren't, but that make that sound?

the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
So what you're all saying is that when the pedal is even off your tone is affected simply by having the pedal in your chain? Are there any other reverb pedals that aren't, but that make that sound?
That's exactly my concern. When a non-true-bypass pedal (like the Verbzilla or any BOSS pedal) is part of your main signal chain, it will muck up your tone even when it's turned off.

I like the Verbzilla because of both its reverb effects and shimmer sound. I'm thinking about getting a switcher to physically bypass the reverb/shimmer F/X when I don't need them while playing (like Loar suggested).

By the way- How does The Edge manage to utilize an F/X system chuck full of BOSS pedals and boutique pedals, and NOT experience any tone-sucking? Any experts here?
HBK-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:24 AM   #24
Babyface

Local Time: 07:57 PM
I wouldn't get too hung up on "True Bypass". It can cause you problems in its own right. Do a Google search on the pros and cons...prepare yourself for some serious reading

All of my pedals are in buffered loops. I designed my board so that all of my 'dirt' pedals are isolated from my main signal path unless I call them in with my switcher. As noted in one of my videos, the audio path from Guitar to Amp (TONE) is preserved as best as possible.

Regards
Gerry
john3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

So, if I have a signal splitter, a Boss TU2, and a Line 6 delay, and I get a verbzilla, should I set it up line this?:

Guitar->tuner->signal splitter (side A)->delay (left jack)
->signal splitter (side B)->verbzilla->delay (right jack)

And then from the delay just go from one of the outputs into the amp? My amp (Fender Blues Jr.) only has one imput and no fx-loop. I want shimmer, but I don't wanna kill my tone.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #26
7cs
The Fly

For those who own a korg A3, I use this patch to create the shimmering sound for the live intro of "city of blinding lights" and to simulate the Ebow in "with or without you". I pick just one string at the time, lightly and quickly with an herdim pick.

Chain 13:
A B C D E F
dist_1 50 50 3.00 10 3.5 -
XCIT 15 6.2 - - - -
MDL_1 500 5.5 40 3.4 2 64
PTCH 5 - - - - -
X_DLY 370 65 400 65 0 50
X_DLY 400 75 300 75 0 72
7cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
Babyface

Quote:
So, if I have a signal splitter, a Boss TU2, and a Line 6 delay, and I get a verbzilla, should I set it up line this?:

And then from the delay just go from one of the outputs into the amp? My amp (Fender Blues Jr.) only has one imput and no fx-loop. I want shimmer, but I don't wanna kill my tone.
Your Boss tuner would suck your tone. Best to place that in its own isolated loop.

In the above example I would do the following (e.g. using Axess BS2 buffer/splitter):

Guitar -> Split 1-> Isolated out into Tuner
2-> main path .... Delay -> Mixer -> Amp
3-> Verbzilla path -> Mixer -> Amp

Regards,
Gerry
Old 12-25-2008, 03:43 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

What type of mixer would you suggest?
Old 12-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #29
War Child

Quote:
What type of mixer would you suggest?
Um...I don't see a mixer on Gerry's pedalboard.

From what I understand, all the signals "mix" inside his CAE, where the final output is split into two- one goes into the TimeFactor, and the other goes into the Verbzilla.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #30
The Fly

Quote:
By the way- How does The Edge manage to utilize an F/X system chuck full of BOSS pedals and boutique pedals, and NOT experience any tone-sucking? Any experts here?
High quality cables, well-organized layout of the system, and he's not using all the pedals at once.

Remember, when you use a switcher, only the pedals (or rack units) that are switched on are in the chain at any one time. When you think about what Edge uses most of the time in his main chain, he really is only running 1-3 pedals plus a 2290 and (usually) the SDD3000. He may switch different units and pedals in and out of the chain by changing patches or switching on or off individual effects, but he's not running everything at the same time.

Hence, no tone sucking.

Again, it comes back to the switching system he uses.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #31
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loar View Post
High quality cables, well-organized layout of the system, and he's not using all the pedals at once.

Remember, when you use a switcher, only the pedals (or rack units) that are switched on are in the chain at any one time. When you think about what Edge uses most of the time in his main chain, he really is only running 1-3 pedals plus a 2290 and (usually) the SDD3000. He may switch different units and pedals in and out of the chain by changing patches or switching on or off individual effects, but he's not running everything at the same time.

Hence, no tone sucking.

Again, it comes back to the switching system he uses.
By "not running everything at the same time," are you referring to the thought that not all individual stompboxes/rackunits are on?

I always thought that you could have all the pedals turned on at the same time, but you could disengage any loops that contain pedals that are irrelevant to a song. Like what Gerry demonstrated.

Thus, you eliminate the tone sucking.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Um...I don't see a mixer on Gerry's pedalboard.

From what I understand, all the signals "mix" inside his CAE, where the final output is split into two- one goes into the TimeFactor, and the other goes into the Verbzilla.
I asked Gerry what I should do with the stuff I have. Maybe you missed that part. Sure, I could just go out and buy everything he has... but I'm not made of money. Go back and read my question and his response before you reply to my response to his response.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:53 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Anyway, I'm working on hopefully getting a Peavey Classic 30 and I'd just put the verbzilla on its effects loop, and then possibly buy a splitter for the tuner. I sold my Classic 30 about 6 months ago not realizing all it needed were new tubes, and I sold it waaaaay too cheap and I have sellers remorse. I sold it to a friend, and hopefully he'll let me buy it back for a similar price. I might even give him an extra $50 (I sold it to him for $125).
Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #34
The Fly

Quote:
By "not running everything at the same time," are you referring to the thought that not all individual stompboxes/rackunits are on?

I always thought that you could have all the pedals turned on at the same time, but you could disengage any loops that contain pedals that are irrelevant to a song. Like what Gerry demonstrated.

Thus, you eliminate the tone sucking.
That's what I meant - the loops are switched off, and no signal goes through the effects that are switched out of the chain.

So, yeah.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Check out U2’s The Edge Shimmer Effects : shanzuguitars.com for history on Edge's shimmer but for the verbzilla approach this guy has them all beat!

adriansr_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:

I think you're just fine. Tone sucking should be negligible IMHO in your limited setup. I also happen to think that tone sucking, I hate the word cause it makes it sound so much worse then it actually is, is not such a big deal overall. For decades people have been using effects pedals in series creating great tone despite this 'tone sucking'. Then along comes the true bypass craze and suddenly everything has to be true bypass, and if not possible it should be placed in buffered loops cause OMGZ tone sucking will ruin your tone. Somethings I think many of these socalled tone gurus hype the problem so they can peddle us their true bypass loops/switchers/buffers.
Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Wait, so in the first video of the Running to a stand still (which was amazing)

what are all the effects he used to get that?
tpsreports2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ok sorry for the double post but i know my last post was uninteligent so here let me ask:

I know that you need a verbzilla to get the sound of Running to a stand still, so of what I am getting so far is this:

guitar--->verbzilla--->volume pedal--->amp

what else do I need besides the volume pedal and verbzilla to get that exact sound that Gerry (the guy in the video) is making.

thank you, sorry bout that
Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

ok sorry for my THIRD post, i dont want to get annoying here but this is what i got so far without the pulse thing.

guitar--->splitter--->verbzilla--->volume pedal--->AMP #1
guitar--->splitter--->boss SD-1---> giga delay--->AMP #2

Is that it FOR SURE?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #40
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsreports2424 View Post
ok sorry for my THIRD post, i dont want to get annoying here but this is what i got so far without the pulse thing.

guitar--->splitter--->verbzilla--->volume pedal--->AMP #1
guitar--->splitter--->boss SD-1---> giga delay--->AMP #2

Is that it FOR SURE?

Essentially what I have in my video was

Guitar -> Boss SD1 -> Giga Delay -> VoxAC30
Dry out -> Volume Pedal -> Verbzilla -> Fender Blues Jnr.

The "pulse" thing was just a tremolo sound from the ModFactor sampled through the TimeFactor.

Thanks
Gerry