The Unforgettable Flood: HQ 2002

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
Hey all!

I thought it would be cool to have a thread about the infamous HQ flood of 2002 when a heap of the bands gear was destroyed.

Any and all info on this topic should be posted here :)

What guitars/bass's/drums/amps etc were destroyed? what were their replacements? (i'm not completely ignorant on this topic, but i'm trying to start discussion :) )

Chris

Loads of guitars, drums, bass guitars, etc seem to have been destroyed.

Apparently Edge's Fernandes guitars (apparently the (2) Decade Elite's and the Native Pro had been 'drowned'.

I first heard about flood from an artist representative from Fernandes. He told me that the phone call before me was Dallas Schoo. He'd called Dallas to let him know that the "Sustainer guitar he'd asked for to replace the damaged ones was on the way".

He'd told me that Edge needed one for the "new recording". As this was late Spring 2002, it could have meant anything from "Electrical Storm" to any of the tunes being worked on for HTDAAB (on the album or b-sides).

Not that I remember there being any sustainer bits on Electrical Storm or any of the HTDAAB material.

I'd also heard that Edge's 1967 firglo finish Rickenbacker 330 12-string was a drowning victim. That 12-string was used from Rattle and Hum through the Elevation tour. (EBTTRT, MW, Gone...).

The guitar lived through Edge throwing it down in Boston (after some repairs) but died in the flood. Sad.

Another 'victim' seems to have been Edge's late 1950's tobacco Gibson 300TD (Used for "One" during the ZOO tours and "Holy Joe" at K-Mart in NY for the Popmart tour press conference). it hasn't been seen in pics or live since the 2002 flood.

Adam mentioned the flood in the 2006 Bass Player magazine feature.

BASS PLAYER - January 2006 (Page 37):

A couple years back a lot of our equipment was damaged when our Dublin storage unit flooded," Adam Clayton says, "So [Edge guitar tech] Dallas Schoo went out and found me a few early `60's Fender Jazz basses.

The replacement bass guitars in question being the `64 Fender Sherwood Green Jazz bass and the `65 Shoreline Gold Jazz bass.

Also... Adam hasn't used any of his Joe Osborne or Bob Glaub model bass guitars (he had a few) since the Elevation tour. (Using new Darryl Jones model Laklands during the Vertigo tour). Maybe the change was by choice? Maybe it was as the they were flood victims.

I remember Adam using a brownish Precision on the Elevation tour, but I don't think I've seen that after the flood. Possible victim?

Adam did mention still having the 1972/1973-ish Precision in the 2006 Bass Player magazine. So I don't think it was destroyed.

Although, from memory, I don't remember if he used it during the 'Vertigo' tour.

I will have to check m'pictures.

I remember Adam using a brownish Precision on the Elevation tour, but I don't think I've seen that after the flood. Possible victim?

Is this it?

Adam did mention still having the 1972/1973-ish Precision in the 2006 Bass Player magazine. So I don't think it was destroyed.

Although, from memory, I don't remember if he used it during the 'Vertigo' tour.

I will have to check m'pictures.

If we're all talking about the same bass--the 72/73 Precision that once wore a House of Pain sticker, I too thought it must have been lost in the flood. But compare the pics:

466258639bx.jpg

8d33cd04.jpg

0d8b8877.jpg

This appears, based on the finish wear patterns to be the same bass. It has gone through a number of different pickguards and in the last pic has a jazz neck, which we know Adam prefers. Based on his clothes, haircut, and lack of glasses (he still wore glasses through the Elevation tour), I'm thinking this last pic is Vertigo era, which would seem to confirm that the bass did survive the flood. Can anyone confirm when the last pic was taken?

The P-Bass in question has gone through a lot of 'changes'. Different pickguards. The addition and later deletion of the "House of Pain" sticker. And as mentioned, the finish has worn off a lot.

As I mentioned, Adam was speaking about this bass, as one that he still used, in the January 2006 Bass Player magazine (The flood was 4 years before). It doesn't appear to have been lost in the flood.

• First pictures was The Joshua Tree tour.
  • Second picture was from the June 7th, 1997 show @ Randall's Island, NY at Tibet Freedom Festival
  • I think that the third picture was from the R&R Hall of Fame induction performance at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, on March 14, 2005.

[*]I think that the third picture was from the R&R Hall of Fame induction performance at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, on March 14, 2005.

[/LIST][/SIZE][/FONT]

So, what do you think? This does seem to be the bass in question. Note the finish wear just above the bridge. If so, and if this is from 2005, then it seems the 72/73 P-bass has survived but now has a black pickguard and a jazz neck.

If we're all talking about the same bass--the 72/73 Precision that once wore a House of Pain sticker, I too thought it must have been lost in the flood. But compare the pics:

466258639bx.jpg

8d33cd04.jpg

0d8b8877.jpg

This appears, based on the finish wear patterns to be the same bass. It has gone through a number of different pickguards and in the last pic has a jazz neck, which we know Adam prefers. Based on his clothes, haircut, and lack of glasses (he still wore glasses through the Elevation tour), I'm thinking this last pic is Vertigo era, which would seem to confirm that the bass did survive the flood. Can anyone confirm when the last pic was taken?

I have to check my Vertigo Live from Chicago DVD and see if this bass was used.:hmm: That's a really cool bass. I think I have a few other pics of it somewhere. I have to sift through all the others first.

So, what do you think? This does seem to be the bass in question. Note the finish wear just above the bridge. If so, and if this is from 2005, then it seems the 72/73 P-bass has survived but now has a black pickguard and a jazz neck.

Precisely. It just wasn't in the 'regular rotation' on the Vertigo tour, as Adam went with the two mid060's Fender Jazz bass guitars and their Lakland Darryl Jones (Jazz-like cousins).

I don't think he's used it this tour... if so, it's been sparingly.

466258639bx.jpg

8d33cd04.jpg

0d8b8877.jpg

You can see that he had the neck changed out from the dot inlay to the block inlay Jazz neck; Something that Adam has done to P-Bass', in the past.

He's said that that he finds the Jazz neck more "lady-like".

No signs of it in Vertigo DVD. He really used that Green one a lot. A photo in case you don't know what I mean.

adambass.jpg

Right next to Edge and his Strat during Into the Heart.

Nope, I checked my Chicago dvd list (yep, I'm that big of a dork :D), and you're right. It wasn't played. Thanks for the Zoo Tv era pics. I couldn't find any that really showed the finish wear and HoP sticker.

I'm glad to see this bass survived the flood. Now, Fender needs to do a replica tribute with the weird shaped tortoise-shell pickguard and removable HoP sticker. :applaud:

Speaking of the green Jazz bass, I think the neck has been changed on it, too. I believe it originally had a rosewood fretboard.

No signs of it in Vertigo DVD. He really used that Green one a lot. A photo in case you don't know what I mean.

adambass.jpg

Right next to Edge and his Strat during Into the Heart.

That there is the 1964 Sherwood Green Fender Jazz that Dallas found for Adam. It originally had a rosewood 1964 fretboard. Adam favoring the maple fretboard with block inlays. (Easier to see, per Adam)

Back
Top Bottom