The simplest guitar questions (cause I'm useless)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Right, please excuse me being so hopeless but I'm totally needing someone to help and get me playing this guitar! I've had it for about 2 years but I broke a string about 2 years ago, lol, and I've never known how to change it or what to do or anything! And I didn't know who to ask around here because I'm so damn shy, and I dunno, anyway so I've not bothered with it for ages but now I so want to learn how to play properly and I was hoping someone could take pity on me and give me help! It's an acoustic guitar. And it was the bottom string (God it's been so long I don't even remember what they're all called. Doh.). Oh and any ideas how long it might take me to be able to play some sort of a tune? I'm so impatient but I'm determined to try again.

Thanks and sorry *hides*

Don't be shy, we won't kill you. :)

In regards to replacing strings, you might want to replace the whole set because they might be pretty corroded, and as a result, they probably sound pretty dead. Changing strings is pretty easy.

1. Buy a new set of strings. For beginners, start with a light gauge, preferably .10s. They don't hurt to much to play. I've been playing for more than 1.5 years and still have problems with .12s on acoustic. Doesn't really matter what brand it is, Martins, D'Addarios, Dean Markleys all good.

2. Take the old strings off the guitar. You do this by loosening the tension with the tuning keys until it's loose enough to remove it from the tuning head. Then pull out the bridge pin holding that string in, and remove the string.

3. Place the end of the string with the ball/ring thingy on it into the body of the guitar, and press the bridge pin back in. Then thread the other end of the string through the hole in the tuning head.

4. Hold the bridge pin in with one hand while you tighten up the string with the tuning key. Keep the guitar facing away from you as best as possible, and increase the tension slowly.

5. Cut off the loose end of the string once it has been tuned up to it's proper pitch with a good pair of scissors or wire cutters.

That's about it. Make sure you only do one string at a time- the main reason is that it's a bad idea to leave an acoustic guitar unstrung for any length of time.

As to learning any songs, it will take a while. Learn basic chords first, and then try to find a song with simple chords in them. It take practice, plain and simple.

Andrew

P.S.: You'll need to have either a tuner, piano, or tuning fork as well to make sure you're tuning the strings properly. There's plenty of info on how to use these online- just use Google.

Use wire cutters, not scissors. They may be a good pair of scissors when you start cutting the strings, but not when you've finished.

the rockin edge said:

very good advice there:wink:

Yeah, try using scissors for your low E -- i'd be impressed if they even cut through!

Don't get ripped off with one of those $8+ string winders - you don't need them - just the wire cutters so you can cut nice and close after you've strung them flawlessly!

Oh, ok, big thank you everyone! I'm scared of going into town and asking in the shop there cause I'm pretty sure they'll take me less than seriously cause I'm small and blonde :| But this is very helpful, thank you, especially Andrew, yeah I'm gonna definitely have a go. Every time I watch U2 on tv I want to learn!

chickadee said:
I'm scared of going into town and asking in the shop there cause I'm pretty sure they'll take me less than seriously cause I'm small and blonde :|

Ignore those losers. . . :) Everyone has to start somewhere!! Best of luck!

Hi. I'm resurrecting this topic cause I am depressed, lol.

I actually went into the scary shop and got strings but when I tried to change one I think I did it all wrong and now I don't want to go back to the shop, lol, cause it's full of guys and I felt a bit intimidated. And I really, really want to learn how to play. Can I get strings online? Where's the best?

The shop guys will be delighted to see you if you go in and buy more strings. It may be awkward but why don't you take your guitar in and ask one of the sales guys to show you how to change a string? I worked as a sales guy in a guitar store a number of years ago and recall showing/telling learners how to do this and other basic things all the time. I was happy to do it and so should anyone else be who does that for a living. Or if that's too just much get a friend to go in with you, have them ask the question and make sure you watch carefully. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom