The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be a custom unit. He's been using that one for a long time. Is that an old pic? I spy the Skrydstrup controller on the left and wasn't that one replaced by a CAE controller?

also nobody has told me about this "siren" pedal which was this black fuzz pedal he's got in his rig. does anybody know about it?

Posted in the wrong thread. Deleted what I initially posted as it contained tour spoilers.

Last edited:
yeah that sample/sequencer-triggering pedal is in use in IE tour from 2015 as well; it seems like Edge hasn't really changed rig since the last tour, though I'm sure there were some minor changes.

There's hardly any new material on this tour, he only needs some new tones for some old songs he's hasn't played in decades, when his rig was far simpler. Besides, why should he change his rig? Because somebody says so? Some guitarists tour for decades with the same rig. The old Elevation rig served him for 10 years and three tours. And he's now got the Axe, there are a shitload of tones for him to explore in that.

I thought that his rig would be easier, because of the reason you mentioned. recently i see more guitar players bringing simpler rigs for the convenience. but this is Edge and i feel like he needs exact tones he made in JT. actually some sounds off of JT sound very weird and have no idea how to really replicate, so. i think Edge's really doing a great job replicating all kinds of weird tones.

He doesn't need an 80's rig, because he's got the Axe. 8 of them. And one of the biggest reasons he's got the Axe was because his old 80's era gear was literally falling apart. So why go back to falling apart gear when his current gear can do the job?

And that's excluding that Edge's tastes have changed. He doesn't always use the same units and guitars for the same older songs he has been playing over the years. Because I suspect he came across a combo of gear that to him sounded better. In which case I pose that Edge doesn't seek the exact tones he made on JT, he seeks the best sounding tones that he currently has available to him. Factor in that his old gear has basically fallen apart and that the Axe can do the job, why go for a complete overhaul of his rig?

Anybody have an idea as to what was the cause of Edge's technical difficulties at the Miami show. I was there and noticed he was hitting his wireless unit on the way back to Dallas. First thing they did was plug in to a cable. Didn't work. Edge disappears downstairs and when he finally did have sound, the delay did not sound right. Any ideas? Then the piano wouldn't work on rtss.

If axe do everything why is he using old vintage boss Fa-1 and CS2?

Because he's like the princess who can feel a pea underneath a whole stack of mattresses? He thinks he can hear the difference so therefore it has to be in his rig. And he's got the money to pay Bob Bradshaw to put it in his rig and Dallas and his roadies to haul it around for him.

We're dealing with multiple things here. Firstly tone is a subjective thing and if you're convinced something sounds better, it will sound better. Secondly when you're rich, a poor person's OCD's and insanities become a rich guy's quirks and eccentricities. Thirdly, when you no longer have to haul your own rig around, it tends to open the floodgates on what kinds of things suddenly become absolutely essential to be included in your rig. You will rarely if ever see a guitarist with the same kind of rig as the Edge if he has to haul it around himself. I have a large 16U rack with all sorts of fancy gear standing in my bedroom. You take that along once, maybe twice, and then you go f*** this shit, suddenly that modeler doesn't sound so bad anymore.

so are we not talking about that new burgundy mist strat? that looks so amazing

I had a burgundy most Jaguar for awhile. Easily the ugliest guitar I've ever owned. Couldn't believe I made a profit off of it (via trade for a Les Paul Traditional, which I sold for a lot more than the Jag was worth).

well i know that Burgundy mist is usually a veery ugly color. Im sure people just long for guitars with that color almost purely because of rarity; Fender originally offered that color only as a custom colors (well most colors that weren't sunburst were custom colors but anyway) and there are not many guitars with that color were produced back then; Fender often reissue guitars with burgundy mist but they tend to be limited in quantity, so.......

I agree that i don't like the color but Edge's looked better than how it normally appears.

are there any tonal differences between CS2 and CS3? i hear all kinds of bad comments about CS3 (like noise issues) but i don't feel like there are significant differences in tone. personally I'm starting to find vintage compressors (in pedal form) very annoying because they can be too attack-y and doesn't have a flexibility. but it's not like I really want modern compressor like new one from Boss or TC either

I have the cs2 and i had the cs-3 some time ago. I dont see many difference between these bit i like more the sound of the cs-2. Seems to be more natural compression.

To me they all sound the same, but I'm not into compressors. The CS-3 does have the advantage over the CS-2 in that it can be easily modded for better performance, like less noise, and because its in production 2nd hand CS-3's are dirt cheap.

now there are tons of relatively affordable multi-band compressors on the market now and I'm kinda considering buying it, though I'm just a hobbyist and i probably don't "need" it. or i could easily use some free plugins.

But there are a lot of people who religiously use CS-2 tho; i know some of them are going for these more "modern" comp for ease of use and flexibility. but again, I don't think Edge would use modern comp. because he might appreciate these "old" comp being warm sounding. i mean, he only uses compressor for slides and/or guitars with single coils, right?

right, but IE tour setlist didnt have that many songs with slides so i guess it's understandable? though it's weird that he didnt use comp for Bullet....

but again, he's got Axe-Fx. I'm sure it can do compression.

Last edited:
also i noticed that his Sustainer strat in silver has a rosewood fingerboard instead of maple, like the one from IE tour in 2015. but it still has mostly similar spec.

Jeorge Tripps, the founder of Way Huge who has worked for Line 6 and MXR, super briefly talks about the Edge and his rack-mountable (and MIDI capable) DM-4

Must be an old vid as they're wondering whether or not Edge would go digital, which he has done with SOI. That or they don't know it yet.

I don't think this is not an old vid but I'm sure Juan and Nick doesn't know; I actually love Nick Reinhardt, his band Tera Melos is one of the most innovative and quirky bands I've encountered in my life and Juan obviously is a great guy, worked with Racer X and Mars Volta, on top of various cool hip hop projects

Back
Top Bottom