The Infinite Guitar used in WOWY... Would it be possible to build one? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:47 PM
The Infinite Guitar used in WOWY... Would it be possible to build one?

I was just wondering, does anyone know exactly how the infinite guitar's circuit works, and would it be at all possible to make a DIY one? A friend of mine is an electronic engineer and I have a few old strats lying around... The Wikipedia article isn't very specific about exactly how the infinite sustain is created, does anyone know how it's done? Would it, in fact, be possible to build one?

hatrickpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:47 PM
i think all you need are the right electronics:

Fernandes - Official Home of Fernandes Guitars

man, fernandes guitars has a horrible website.

discothequeLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Love the new avatar, disco.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick View Post
I was just wondering, does anyone know exactly how the infinite guitar's circuit works, and would it be at all possible to make a DIY one? A friend of mine is an electronic engineer and I have a few old strats lying around... The Wikipedia article isn't very specific about exactly how the infinite sustain is created, does anyone know how it's done? Would it, in fact, be possible to build one?
The most detailed description I've ever read about the Infinite guitar is that it's a rack unit that almost works in a similar manner to a spring or plate reverb, sort of.

Anyway, apparently the guitar output goes to the rack unit which then feeds it back to another pickup inside the unit, the output of which goes back through the unit, which feeds it back to the pickup, etc etc ad infinitum. Thus it is a kind of feedback loop which is semi-controlled. I've also read that it was a maintenance nightmare and often didn't work.
Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Infinite guitar? if you are talking about the Brooks original - to build one like that? I doubt that is easy. There is a lot involved.

Could you take a cheaper guitar and add Fernandes sustainer pickup. That would make it similar to what Edge has used over the past 12 years.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Love the new avatar, disco.

ditto that, my brother. gotta love that musty old claptrap.
discothequeLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Acrobat

I didnt build one but i did experement. What i did was split my signal running side A to my reg signal chain then i took side b and ran that to a poweramp or any small amp. i ran speaker wire to a correct ohm small speaker (used one out of an old TV) and taped the speaker to my headstock. What happens is the sound vibrates the headstock or wood and creates a loop You can try and tape the speaker behind the guitar or wherever.had alot of feedback issues..the neck worked best. It works but not so good. Real ones use magnetics that vibrate the string.

M
mick3b1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3b1g View Post
I didnt build one but i did experement. What i did was split my signal running side A to my reg signal chain then i took side b and ran that to a poweramp or any small amp. i ran speaker wire to a correct ohm small speaker (used one out of an old TV) and taped the speaker to my headstock. What happens is the sound vibrates the headstock or wood and creates a loop You can try and tape the speaker behind the guitar or wherever.had alot of feedback issues..the neck worked best. It works but not so good. Real ones use magnetics that vibrate the string.

M
Always the scientist, eh?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3b1g View Post

M
Why bother? You've had my eBow for the past 5 years.
AndyUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUF View Post
Why bother? You've had my eBow for the past 5 years.
Hahahah... Mick the E-Bow bandit? ;-)