The Infinite Guitar used in WOWY... Would it be possible to build one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
I was just wondering, does anyone know exactly how the infinite guitar's circuit works, and would it be at all possible to make a DIY one? A friend of mine is an electronic engineer and I have a few old strats lying around... The Wikipedia article isn't very specific about exactly how the infinite sustain is created, does anyone know how it's done? Would it, in fact, be possible to build one?

I was just wondering, does anyone know exactly how the infinite guitar's circuit works, and would it be at all possible to make a DIY one? A friend of mine is an electronic engineer and I have a few old strats lying around... The Wikipedia article isn't very specific about exactly how the infinite sustain is created, does anyone know how it's done? Would it, in fact, be possible to build one?

The most detailed description I've ever read about the Infinite guitar is that it's a rack unit that almost works in a similar manner to a spring or plate reverb, sort of.

Anyway, apparently the guitar output goes to the rack unit which then feeds it back to another pickup inside the unit, the output of which goes back through the unit, which feeds it back to the pickup, etc etc ad infinitum. Thus it is a kind of feedback loop which is semi-controlled. I've also read that it was a maintenance nightmare and often didn't work.

Infinite guitar? if you are talking about the Brooks original - to build one like that? I doubt that is easy. There is a lot involved.

Could you take a cheaper guitar and add Fernandes sustainer pickup. That would make it similar to what Edge has used over the past 12 years.

I didnt build one but i did experement. What i did was split my signal running side A to my reg signal chain then i took side b and ran that to a poweramp or any small amp. i ran speaker wire to a correct ohm small speaker (used one out of an old TV) and taped the speaker to my headstock. What happens is the sound vibrates the headstock or wood and creates a loop You can try and tape the speaker behind the guitar or wherever.had alot of feedback issues..the neck worked best. It works but not so good. Real ones use magnetics that vibrate the string.

M

I didnt build one but i did experement. What i did was split my signal running side A to my reg signal chain then i took side b and ran that to a poweramp or any small amp. i ran speaker wire to a correct ohm small speaker (used one out of an old TV) and taped the speaker to my headstock. What happens is the sound vibrates the headstock or wood and creates a loop You can try and tape the speaker behind the guitar or wherever.had alot of feedback issues..the neck worked best. It works but not so good. Real ones use magnetics that vibrate the string.

M

Always the scientist, eh? :D

M

Why bother? You've had my eBow for the past 5 years. :lol::applaud:

Back
Top Bottom