The Fly Drums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
How do you play The Fly on drums anyway? What is the cymbal-tambourine thing Larry used on ZooTV? Any info helps!

the tambourine that you hear on the 1 and the 3 is a backing track. the rest of the song is primarily played on the floor tom (constant eigth note pattern), snare and kick drum with a little skip note on the rack tom at the end of the pattern.

skott100 said:
the tambourine that you hear on the 1 and the 3 is a backing track. the rest of the song is primarily played on the floor tom (constant eigth note pattern), snare and kick drum with a little skip note on the rack tom at the end of the pattern.

But he appeared to be hitting it on the 1 and the 3 if you look at the video, wouldn't you say? (ZooTV: Sydney Video) It doesn't look like it is a backing track.

hmm... if he's actually playing that, then the beat just became A LOT more interesting. It's just that I've heard live recordings where he gets ahead of (what I have assumed is) the backing track and corrects himself. I'll have to revisit the Sydnie video when it comes out on DVD in the fall.

skott100 said:
Ah-ha! Well we're both sorta wrong...

I was wrong about the floor tom. He plays the eighth notes and the skip note on the rack tom. It also appears that the tambourine is indeed a backing track.

Check this link out about 35 seconds into the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9WgJtP7dM

The drums are completely different than Sydney on this one. Your correct on this. There is The Fly Sydney on YouTube, check it out and look at the way he plays. Between :52 and :54 he appears to be on the tambourine. Same with 1:05-1:07. I don't think I'm allowed to post the link, though. Just search U2 fly sydney.

Never mind you were right about the rack toms.

But...my friend who is a drummer insists after hearing Sydney that he must be using double bass. Is that true (I don't think so)?

Yes, I think he's just two lazy to tap his foot that many times. :lol:

He's still insistant, so I just said, "If we play the thing you can just play it with the single bass anyway, right or wrong."

We'll see.

on an 8 blacks part... (you can count this as 1, and takes 8 of these to the song to START)

Tom Tom = 1
Snare Drum = 2
Bass Drum = 3
Tambourine = 4

1) X-X-X-0 0X0-X-0
2) 0-0-0-X 0-0-0-X
3) X-X-X-X X-X-X-X

4) 0-X-0-0 0-X-0-0

the tambourine is a backing track

X: HIT
0: MISS

Last edited: